djRyoji's Remixes - 'Bowser's Villa' [Piano] from Super Princess Peach

djRyoji

djRyoji's Remixes

Welcome! Instead of posting a new topic for every song I make, eluukkanen inspired me to create a general topic with my stuff like him. So I'm editing this post for that purpose. Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening!

LATEST STUFF:

---

Original post:

Hello everyone, I'm eager to finally present my take on a narrative Super Mario Land Medley, arranged as if it was a classic cartoon. I hope you enjoy!

Edited by djRyoji

15 hours ago, Souperion said:

My first impression: hot DANG, this is well done! You pull off the olde timey piano sound nicely, the arrangements hit me with nostalgia, and the narrative approach would work even without the movie. Excellent work, I would love to see this as part of the OCR repertoire! 

Thank you very much for the reply! Glad you liked it! Yeah actually, I just did the movie to make it more appealing visually but the music was first of course.

Gee you think so? You're too kind! I may consider submitting it then. ^-^

This is such a great idea! Love the style & your transitions between themes really work with the silent movie style dialogue.

I think the piano would benefit from some humanisation to really fit the feeling that it's an accompanist reading the scenes/emotions from a silent movie. And I wonder if that'll matter even more for submitting here as it's generally done on audio (though I could be wrong on that!)

I'd also see about making the whole thing a little shorter, losing some of the repeats or perhaps one of the medley tracks? I think the whole concept might feel sharper with a stronger flow to the narrative - maybe more like 3-4 mins?

But such a great idea and really well put together! Well played.

15 hours ago, LjB0 said:

This is such a great idea! Love the style & your transitions between themes really work with the silent movie style dialogue.

I think the piano would benefit from some humanisation to really fit the feeling that it's an accompanist reading the scenes/emotions from a silent movie. And I wonder if that'll matter even more for submitting here as it's generally done on audio (though I could be wrong on that!)

I'd also see about making the whole thing a little shorter, losing some of the repeats or perhaps one of the medley tracks? I think the whole concept might feel sharper with a stronger flow to the narrative - maybe more like 3-4 mins?

But such a great idea and really well put together! Well played.

Thank you for the feedback!

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean by humanisation! I recorded myself playing it slowly on my keyboard and then I "quantized" it because of minor input lag, so every note would be where it should. After I did that with the entire song, I used the "Humanize" tool (in Reaper) juuuuuust a tiny bit to the whole thing so it didn't sound mechanic (and adding envelopes). More "Humanize" though and things wouldn't still be what I wanted them to be. Maybe you mean just humanising the cues to better reflect the movie, adding a bit of time in between so it feels like a "live performance", but honestly that was never quite my intention: the visual part of it was just an aftermath so it would be more entertaining to the average non-musician listener, never the initial premise to arrange the music around of.

Good you bring that up! You see, my initial idea was doing a full, complete medley of every single song in this manner (like, the Underground and Boss themes would have been an entire section of their own, as well as the Credits theme), but I quickly dismissed it as too long, tedious, and not concise enough. What I did was imagine a storyline of what I though could be a Mario Land cartoon and did a selection of the soundtrack accordingly. I don't know if there's a time range for remixes to be submitted though. iirc there was a Chill Penguin remix here of an OCR Megaman X album around 10 minutes long! (which I really liked btw).

That said, I have to humbly disagree on cutting repeats though, as I already planned it to be as concise as possible. Actually, no song here actually loops, the transitions were made before or at the loop point in the originals, and even if there is some repetition, there's always a variation (except in the first phrase of Sky Pop because of how short it is and the contrast it supposes from the previous section). The only "loop", if you may call it so, is the Pipe theme which does indeed repeat twice, but it was on purpose: first, to establish the new theme in a minor, second, I wanted the listener to recognise that tune as the Pipe theme, which at first could come up as unrelated (because it's in minor unlike the original), and third, I wanted to make clear to the listener to follow and appreciate better the following counterpoint with the Underground theme by repeating it before the new voice comes in.

I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I really had in mind the balance between all the sections and really did my best to give them independent identity while also keeping them as parts of a whole. Ever since the beginning, I was worried for it to be structurally unbalanced like some medleys are, but I'm really happy with the result in that regard..

Sorry if this turned out to be a text wall! I hope I explained myself comprehensibly haha. And again, thank you very much for the reply!