Detective Pikachu: The Movie

Pipez

Potentially unpopular opinion.

I find it... cringey.

It doesn't look that good, and I don't think Ryan Renolds is the right actor.

I'm also not entirely happy with the super-gritty dirty city thing. That's not what pokemon is about. The games, even the spin-offs, and the various other media (cartoon, manga, etc) are all about how living with pokemon makes the world more nature-friendly. Even Unova, which is based upon New York City, isn't dirty and grimey. It's clean. Hell, even the desert area north of Castelia City, which is literally just Manhatten, is spotless. But the city needs to be gloomy and dirty for... what, realism? About pokemon?

Also, pokemon are inherently good natured, with the bad ones only being so because of their trainers. So seeing a Mr. Mime telling them to shove it doesn't really fit. Yeah, it's kind of funny, but it doesn't work for me. It comes off as something written by a committee, not a writer.

I'm sure everyone else in the world will love it, and it will do really well in ticket sales, but I'm not going to see it. It feels like a checklist of everything the shitty fan movies did, but with more money behind it.

10 hours ago, The Damned said:

I find it... cringey.

I'm also not entirely happy with the super-gritty dirty city thing. That's not what pokemon is about. The games, even the spin-offs, and the various other media (cartoon, manga, etc) are all about how living with pokemon makes the world more nature-friendly. Even Unova, which is based upon New York City, isn't dirty and grimey. It's clean. Hell, even the desert area north of Castelia City, which is literally just Manhatten, is spotless. But the city needs to be gloomy and dirty for... what, realism? About pokemon?

Also, pokemon are inherently good natured, with the bad ones only being so because of their trainers. So seeing a Mr. Mime telling them to shove it doesn't really fit. Yeah, it's kind of funny, but it doesn't work for me. It comes off as something written by a committee, not a writer.

I'm sure everyone else in the world will love it, and it will do really well in ticket sales, but I'm not going to see it. It feels like a checklist of everything the shitty fan movies did, but with more money behind it.

I think some of it will make more sense in the actual context of the movie.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • DarkeSword changed the title to Detective Pikachu: The Movie
  • 1 month later...
On 11/13/2018 at 10:56 PM, The Damned said:

I find it... cringey.

Don't worry, you're not alone there. I'll go a couple steps further and would extend that statement to just about everything Ryan Reynolds has ever been in (*prepares flame shield*). I just don't find the dude very funny. This role just seems like a way for him to try to take the Deadpool persona and milk it for the audience he couldn't reach in the box office with those R ratings.

2 hours ago, thebitterroost said:

Don't worry, you're not alone there. I'll go a couple steps further and would extend that statement to just about everything Ryan Reynolds has ever been in (*prepares flame shield*). I just don't find the dude very funny. This role just seems like a way for him to try to take the Deadpool persona and milk it for the audience he couldn't reach in the box office with those R ratings.

Granted I think a bit of that is the material he's given.

10 minutes ago, thebitterroost said:

Can’t say I blame him or the writers, either. The Deadpool movies made bank, so there’s no reason to think that well’s gone dry.

I meant in the sense that the material sometimes doesn't do him any favors.  No matter how good an actor someone is, sometimes you can't rise above a weak script.   Though I did enjoy the first Deadpool movie (haven't seen the second).  I do wish it had been more satirical.

• 2 weeks later...