Detective Pikachu: The Movie

Pipez

Not quite sure what I was expecting from the Sonic trailer given people's highly exaggerated negative reaction to it (we have wars going on with child soldiers that aren't getting this kind of reaction) but that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

And I can't hate any video game adaptation that managed to get Jim Carrey as the villain.

4 hours ago, The Damned said:

Also, using Gangster's Paradise is... at least three kinds of wrong.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who found the use of Gangsta's Paradise so damn strange in that trailer.

I mean, I think I'm still going to enjoy the Sonic movie (ESPECIALLY based on the trailer), all things being said - it looks like an absolute trainwreck, with Jim-fuckin'-Carrey going full 90's Jim-fuckin'-Carrey mode to *ahem* "carry" the whole thing in one glorious fireball, and let's all be honest, we all enjoy watching trainwrecks and fireballs from time to time.

I think I might actually enjoy the Pokemon movie on it's merits as an actual movie, though, and not in the "Super Mario Bros" fashion that I expect to enjoy the Sonic movie. The Pokemon movie looks ridiculous in it's realistically stylish Pokemon, but it looks like it's putting a real effort into it's jokes and characters rather than just... well, being the joke.

Sonic is definitely derailing the topic here, but it seems rather obvious to me there is an intentional if not fully blatant theme of 90s cringe being injected into the Sonic movie. Gangsta's Paradise? Jim Carrey? A video game movie trying to happen in the real world taking itself somewhat seriously? It's all so incredibly 90s as Sonic itself. Even the dynamics of the trailer reminded me of being in the movie theaters in middle school.

16 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

Sonic is definitely derailing the topic here, but it seems rather obvious to me there is an intentional if not fully blatant theme of 90s cringe being injected into the Sonic movie. Gangsta's Paradise? Jim Carrey? A video game movie trying to happen in the real world taking itself somewhat seriously? It's all so incredibly 90s as Sonic itself. Even the dynamics of the trailer reminded me of being in the movie theaters in middle school.

You know what, now that you put it this way, that really seems to be it, now doesn't it?

I loved reading about that, and I really enjoyed the movie, as did my wife.  My 8 year old son wants to go back and see it several more times.  I'm honestly impressed at how well they did a live-action Pokemon movie, which, before this movie was announced, I didn't think was possible without it becoming another Dragonball Evolution debacle.

Just saw the movie and I enjoyed it. I would personally classify it as a good movie in the conventional sense. It had every element I would want in an enjoyable movie. There were some areas that could have used a little polish of course, but it was definitely a good movie in my book.

It's funny, because it's obviously IS a video game movie, but part of me can't help but think Pokemon is bigger than that. I mean, a lot of the movie felt like an adaptation of the cartoon, and there are people who love Pokemon without ever playing one of the games, let alone Detective Pikachu. Again, it most certainly is a video game movie, but it's also just so entwined in pop culture I'm sure a lot of people seeing might not even know that.

• 5 weeks later...