Chrono Trigger/Cross - Schala's Theme Remix

EchoGhost616

Even a rough copy can hold promise! The drums do feel a little fuzzy and threaten to drown out the synths, which sort of contend with each other for the lime light, so take a look at the volume/frequency to make sure they aren't killing each, because I do like the direction you're going with this. Not quite sure what you would classify this as, but the original synth progressions and ambiance added to an admittedly oft done song gives it promise to become a refreshingly unique variation of good ol' Schala's theme. Keep at this one, it could be really cool!

17 hours ago, Souperion said:

Even a rough copy can hold promise! The drums do feel a little fuzzy and threaten to drown out the synths, which sort of contend with each other for the lime light, so take a look at the volume/frequency to make sure they aren't killing each, because I do like the direction you're going with this. Not quite sure what you would classify this as, but the original synth progressions and ambiance added to an admittedly oft done song gives it promise to become a refreshingly unique variation of good ol' Schala's theme. Keep at this one, it could be really cool!

Thank you, I'm still working on it. I think it's definitely come a long way and your advice is very sound. I agree with all of it lol. Thanks for listening and the feedback. More updated version is up!

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Mak Eightman said:

Drop down loudness of sequencer synth(panned), make wide panorama for snare, drop down  2:30(too loud). Hi-pass 50Hz at kick.

Do this, and this is great! I think.

Add link to the source plz.

Fixed a lot of what you said, the kick still needs a bit of tweaking I think. Added some CT samples, not sure if it's too much yet. Fixed Choir attack, and gave it more opera hall kind of feel after finding some better vst's online but, I really don't know what you mean when you say "Wide Panorama for Snare." Very new to sequencing. All in all great advice and thanks for listening!

Star Stealing Princess of Zeal

Artist - EchoGhost

Oooh, the pendulum! This new version is much tidier. The vocals give an appropriately... something vibe. Kinda eerie, kinda ominous, kinda awesome. The synths and percussion are much more in harmony now, letting the listener enjoy all those kewl ideas you have on a classic melody. An overwhelming improvement, I'd say. 

• 2 months later...

I've been following this remix for months now, and it just keeps getting better and better, but the breakout into variation I was expecting for at least two months just hasn't happened yet.  It would seem to me that you've built one hell of a skeleton for what can only be described as an intricate, chill, yet deceptively exciting ride, but in making it over eight minutes long, without more variation, both from the original melody, and your own ideas, it can only be that--a skeleton.  I think you knew that at one point, which is why Star-Stealing Princess of Zeal is over eight minutes long--you wanted to expand upon it, but something happened along the way.  Maybe you thought you had too many technical issues to work through and postponed the final work until you forgot you wanted to do it.  If this is so, then now is the time.  The core--the thing that gives your remix movement and power--is perfect--it's time to give life!

Although I hesitate to mention this after my earlier critique, it's better that you have the heads-up than get blind-sided by the judges later.   The use of CT samples could cause an issue for final submission, as remixes with samples taken from Final Fantasy games have been previously denied due to Square-Enix's overzealous use of attack dog lawyers. 

All that said, please don't take this as completely negative criticism.  Star-Stealing Princess of Zeal has had me at the edge of my seat since the end of November, and I've been waiting for it to take off once you ironed out the concept.  Personally, I think now is the time for you to really cut loose and have fun with it.  Keep the version you just posted as your baseline and just go nuts, man.  You'll figure it out.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, RustedMind said:

I've been following this remix for months now, and it just keeps getting better and better, but the breakout into variation I was expecting for at least two months just hasn't happened yet.  It would seem to me that you've built one hell of a skeleton for what can only be described as an intricate, chill, yet deceptively exciting ride, but in making it over eight minutes long, without more variation, both from the original melody, and your own ideas, it can only be that--a skeleton.  I think you knew that at one point, which is why Star-Stealing Princess of Zeal is over eight minutes long--you wanted to expand upon it, but something happened along the way.  Maybe you thought you had too many technical issues to work through and postponed the final work until you forgot you wanted to do it.  If this is so, then now is the time.  The core--the thing that gives your remix movement and power--is perfect--it's time to give life!

Although I hesitate to mention this after my earlier critique, it's better that you have the heads-up than get blind-sided by the judges later.   The use of CT samples could cause an issue for final submission, as remixes with samples taken from Final Fantasy games have been previously denied due to Square-Enix's overzealous use of attack dog lawyers. 

All that said, please don't take this as completely negative criticism.  Star-Stealing Princess of Zeal has had me at the edge of my seat since the end of November, and I've been waiting for it to take off once you ironed out the concept.  Personally, I think now is the time for you to really cut loose and have fun with it.  Keep the version you just posted as your baseline and just go nuts, man.  You'll figure it out.

well I submitted and yeah they told me no because of all the samples I used, so I had to take a lot out. I have 2 versions. one without the samples and another with. You're definitely right about the skeleton, it's quite massive lol. But I'm pretty sure it's there. I rearranged a lot, changed up the drums and it's finally starting to sound like a song. it's still long but I can't bring myself to shorten anything. I love the flow of it. thanks for the critique though. definitely helped. 

Edited by EchoGhost616

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I couldn't go into too many details in the e-mail, but ages ago (during the FF6 album kickstarter and release) Squaresoft got a bit touchy with their property - kickstarter money for a physical print is what did it - and they basically took a hard look at the site and all of the property it was playing around with. Got off pretty easy with just the samples being legally banned (still got the kickstarter done for a physical print, too!), but those were some pretty tricky times. It's why in the submission instructions we say no Squaresoft samples, and we do our best to respect that.

Every other company is all good, though, as long as samples aren't the only way people can recognize the source. ;)

Figured a bit of interesting history to go with my rejection would be neat, since that incident is so old now a lot of newer members aren't even aware of it.

1 minute ago, Gario said:

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I couldn't go into too many details in the e-mail, but ages ago (during the FF6 album kickstarter and release) Squaresoft got a bit touchy with their property - kickstarter money for a physical print is what did it - and they basically took a hard look at the site and all of the property it was playing around with. Got off pretty easy with just the samples being legally banned (still got the kickstarter done for a physical print, too!), but those were some pretty tricky times. It's why in the submission instructions we say no Squaresoft samples, and we do our best to respect that.

Every other company is all good, though, as long as samples aren't the only way people can recognize the source. ;)

Figured a bit of interesting history to go with my rejection would be neat, since that incident is so old now a lot of newer members aren't even aware of it.

Yeah my bad man, I swear I thought I read the instructions but I obviously missed that part haha. and yeah that's nuts, but square has usually been a pretty uptight company so it's honestly not surprising. 

• 2 weeks later...

well I submitted and yeah they told me no because of all the samples I used, so I had to take a lot out. I have 2 versions. one without the samples and another with. You're definitely right about the skeleton, it's quite massive lol. But I'm pretty sure it's there. I rearranged a lot, changed up the drums and it's finally starting to sound like a song. it's still long but I can't bring myself to shorten anything. I love the flow of it. thanks for the critique though. definitely helped.

All I have to say is... WOW!  I can't believe how much the track's changed!  Incredible!  It's still a little rough around the edges, but you've all but eliminated the repetition issue already--and the variation--whoa, you really took it to heart.   You weren't kidding when you said you rearranged a lot.  One thing that kinda hit me when I listened to the updated version was how the remix really did capture 80's analog synth, which is kinda what Square-Enix was going for with the 2300 AD computer activation samples.  It would seem to me that you could make your own retro-futuristic samples to replicate by recording the activation of old CRT monitors and TV's, ancient floppy and hard drives, or just big-ass chunky power switchesOne thing that always kinda captured my imagination as a kid was when I'd reach around the back of an old IBM PC(you know, the kind that sounded like you were gonna blast off when you hit the switch).  That sound always kinda made me wanna lean back in my seat to keep from getting whiplash.  Anyway, you could run those kinds of samples through the CV inputs of analog synths, both physical and emulated in software to achieve some pretty wild effects.  Who knows?  Maybe you could replace every CT sample you wanted to use in a weekend.

Edited by RustedMind
Clarification

it's still long but I can't bring myself to shorten anything. I love the flow of it. thanks for the critique though. definitely helped. 

Oh no buddy, I never wanted you to shorten this track!  If anything, either leave the length where it is, or, if the Muse yanks you out of your chair for a dance, for the love of God, make it as long as she wants!  Anyway, to clarify my earlier statement regarding the length, I was merely pointing out that making Star-Stealing Princess of Zeal over eight minutes suggested that you wanted to do more with it than what we've been hearing, hence my reference to earlier demos as a skeleton.  I'm kind of the same way when it comes to writing stories--I spend copious amounts of time building backstory, character development, history, and lore before I even start on a draft.  In fact, I'm on what I hope to be the final draft of the first in a trilogy of books that takes place on another planet.  There's well over fifty thousand years of history and lore linking this fictional planet, Virginis-e with Earth, so I know a skeleton when I see one.  If anything, Star-Stealing Princess of Zeal has the potential to be every bit as rich, complex, and touching a journey as my story, The End of Dreams.  Were a writer can need hundreds of thousands of words to paint a picture, someone gifted in music can paint one in minutes.  Sometimes I envy musicians, particularly when I visit OCRemix, but it's people like you that inspire me to write, so I'm glad I've been able to help in some small way.  God bless man, and keep it up. 

• 8 months later...

After almost a year lol, I finally finished it. Working on different projects here and there helped to really bring to this to something I'm super proud of and hope ya'll like it. Hope to actually see this on the website but I'm gonna have to figure out how to change the actual CT samples used. 

It'll be on itunes/ apple music and Spotify in about 3 - 4 days. DL available on Soundcloud as well. 

Artist - EchoGhost616

Spotify - EchoGhost

Youtube - Echo Ghost

Edited by EchoGhost616

Hey, RustedMind here... Listening to the track now.  A year makes a hell of a difference, doesn't it?  'Star Steeling Princess of Zeal' seems to be turning into the musical equivalent of a manuscript, going from draft to draft, near gutting, rewriting, tweaking, but always getting better.  Kinda feel some deep, resonant parallels with the book I've been writing all this time. Hard to get everything out of your head and into your computer, especially when life and other ideas for projects clamor for attention, but I'm glad you kept plugging along.  Kinda gives me a bit more hope that maybe I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel myself and finally get my book published.  In regard to all the CT samples, I'd say don't worry so much about how you're going to replace them, just do it.  Your track's moved so far in the past year, the samples are cheapening it.  Imagine that, eh?  Seems to me like it's time to make your own samples, assuming you haven't already.  Anyway, thanks for the update, buddy, hope you finish this soon so I can get the mp3 with that nice OCRemix title.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 7:33 AM, RustedMind said:

Hey, RustedMind here... Listening to the track now.  A year makes a hell of a difference, doesn't it?  'Star Steeling Princess of Zeal' seems to be turning into the musical equivalent of a manuscript, going from draft to draft, near gutting, rewriting, tweaking, but always getting better.  Kinda feel some deep, resonant parallels with the book I've been writing all this time. Hard to get everything out of your head and into your computer, especially when life and other ideas for projects clamor for attention, but I'm glad you kept plugging along.  Kinda gives me a bit more hope that maybe I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel myself and finally get my book published.  In regard to all the CT samples, I'd say don't worry so much about how you're going to replace them, just do it.  Your track's moved so far in the past year, the samples are cheapening it.  Imagine that, eh?  Seems to me like it's time to make your own samples, assuming you haven't already.  Anyway, thanks for the update, buddy, hope you finish this soon so I can get the mp3 with that nice OCRemix title.  

Thanks bro, yeah the chaos of life really tends to impede projects but I feel like it'll get there soon. Good luck on your book, what's it about?