PRC386 - Zephyr From Starlight Highway (Contra Hard Corps + Snowboard Kids 2)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 386
PRCv16-01

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

A new year, so a new season from PRC, the 16th already. Hopefully a year with a lot of songs and votes. For this round and the next round there are two sources. TheVideoGamer and Klevarkoopa both got a win and submitted a source for this round. So there's choice in this round.

Source 1:

On 11/17/2018 at 12:50 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

For the PRC386 competition i decided to go with Zephyr from Contra Hard Corps (Sega Genesis)

Why? (Put this in the contest description)

From looking and analysing past competitions there is no mention of anything Contra. I didn't want to do the obvious, and so went with one of my favourite soundtracks from the franchise. Zephyr from the Hard Corps. This is a great pick as it can entertain the Metal-Heads and the Rave-Heads. It's also good for some sonic experimentation. 

I also took the time to create a MIDI from scratch. Again it took me no time at all. I uploaded it to VGMusic for ease of access. 

https://www.vgmusic.com/file/58142f4e9fecce219eb89dfeb7c22954.html#disqus_thread

Source: Contra Hard Corps - Zephyr

MIDI File

Source Information

Source 2:

On 12/4/2018 at 2:13 AM, Mr. L said:

Hey there! I... honestly didn't expect to win (my first PRC, at that!); I was quite surprised! Thank you all, once again, and thanks Bundeslang for hosting this competition in the first place! :)

So... searching around for something to submit as a suggestion, I came upon a game that I hadn't really heard of, so I started listening to its soundtrack, and then this song came up.

... My choice was made then and there. Interestingly, the only mention I could find of this song on this site (to the best of my knowledge) is from a remix request 6 years ago, so this game and song have been quite overlooked!

With that, I'd like to request that Starlight Highway from Snowboard Kids 2 on the Nintendo 64 be the source for the next PRC round!

I'm really looking forward to what you all do with this one, and thanks!

MIDI: https://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/SBK_2_Starlight_Highway.mid

Source: Snowboard Kids 2  - Starlight Highway

MIDI File

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qZ6GPX_F5s

Source Information

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

To submit a song at the compo page you can use the ThaSauce page. If you use this, an account is required. If you don't want to use ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in this thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce. I will keep using ThaSauce as the place where all songs are located.

If you want to use ThaSauce, the following steps should be done.

• Click the ThaSauce Link.
  • Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  • Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  • Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  • Continue the process by filling in your information.
  • You will get a question to confirm that you're not a robot. Here are some possible answers:
  1. Name a compo: PRC
  2. Who organizes One Hour Compo: Starla
  3. Name a ThaSauce subdomain: compo.thasauce.net
  4. Who created Mega Mans: Capcom

A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.

Once registered, login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.

After uploading your song, please check if your song plays and can be downloaded and played without problems. Only upload MP3 files.

PRC instructions

• The deadline is Wednesday January 23rd 2018 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread.
  • You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.
  • Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  • Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.
  • The winner of this round may select the source for PRC388, the round after next round.
  • The winners of PRC383 and PRC384, TheVideoGamer and Klevarkoopa both can participate by remixing the source selected by the other or remixing both in one song. If they don't participate with a song (or submit a bonus song) they both have a vote which counts twice.
  • You can find the full rules list at this page as well. The Multiple Source Rounds Rules apply.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC ThaSauce Home Page

Bonus Mix Submitted!

This one was hard for me, as the other source is just as good. 

I tried combing the sources, but it wasn't working for me (It didn't sound the way i hoped it would).

So i'm afraid i played it safe and made a bonus mix of my source i picked. Oh well, let's hope we get a few different entries huh?

I might make another bonus mix of the other source, as a separate submission, we'll see how that turns out.

I wanted to participate in the free round, but I couldn't decide on a source (until AFTER the deadline). :(

But I'm definitely gonna give this one a go!

On that note - Zephyr's quite an excellent source pick, TheVideoGamer! :) I'm glad you liked my source pick!

So, I have... something, but... it's under the genre of: "Randomness & Spontaneity." :D

...yeah, I'm gonna give it another listen tomorrow and send it in (soon).

Edit #1: Okay! Things sound a bit better. But, some parts, upon additional listening, need more tweaking, but that happens.

(Late) Edit #2: Sorry I didn't submit anything - my entry was a complete disaster.

Welcome to the voting stage 

The mixing stage is over. This round has 5 songs and 1 bonus song by TheVideoGamer. The following people entered:

AxLR

Dudley Ghost 

Bundeslang

Blakeingram

PlanarianHugger

(if you want a different color, let me know by replying or sending me a PM).

Dudley Ghost, Bundeslang and PlanarianHugger get the 3 point bonus for using both sources.

To vote, do the following:

·       Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.

·       Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

·       Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3. Do not vote for TheVideoGamer.

·       State a reasoning for it.

·       Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, they get a free first place if they vote, so it's attractive to vote. 

·       Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results. Especially since some people might vote by sending me a PM.

You have until THIS Monday, January 28th 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (17:00 UTC, 18:00 GMT) to vote.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

Bundeslang (if you follow the link you won’t have to add my name).

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

(reasoning)

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC387.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote or click here to send a PM.

Results time

TheVideoGamer posted a bonus mix.

PlanarianHugger got the last place wooden spoon with 3 points.

AxLR wasn't far off with fourth place and 4 points.

Dudley Ghost received 9 points and gets 3rd place

Bundeslang knows how to receive a wooden spoon, but this time he got 11 points and second place.

And the winner of PRC386 is Blakeingram with 12 points (with unanimous decision).

Blakeingram congratulations. Even tough the difference in score is small with 2nd and 3rd place, you won by unanimous decision. You may pick the source for PRC388. This round will be a single source round. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (6 February 2019), 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

PRC387 already started: