OC ReMix BitTorrent Distribution: Issues; also SEEDERS WANTED

djpretzel

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here. I'm a huge fan of OC Remix since like 2005 and I'm really glad for the new torrent, but I have a problem. I started using the old ones and I renamed all the songs, tagged it and such in my own way and I only have the songs from OCR00001-OCR01900. The selecting process (I mean finding the ones I already have) might took weeks or even more and I'd like to skip that part of my life. So, I'd like to ask for some help getting the songs from OCR01900 to OCR03000. :???: Pretty please. :)

There's no way of doing so without paying someone or asking someone to write a script for you.

You could just download all 3000, then delete the duplicates before 1900.

Might have been mentioned already, somewhere, but after downloading this new torrent, one file, Terminal_Velocity_Proxima_Path_OC_ReMix.mp3, seems to have the wrong tags: Both the Title and Album fields are wrong, and the Comment field looks strange too (it says "www.vgmix.com").

EDIT: This is my 4th post in the last 12 months, and it's one where I tell you that you've screwed up. I am a terrible person.

EDIT2: Ok, it looks like it's been fixed now.

EDIT3: Negative, it's still wrong, but only in Rhythmbox.

Edited by Dafydd

Might have been mentioned already, somewhere, but after downloading this new torrent, one file, Terminal_Velocity_Proxima_Path_OC_ReMix.mp3, seems to have the wrong tags: Both the Title and Album fields are wrong, and the Comment field looks strange too (it says "www.vgmix.com").

EDIT: This is my 4th post in the last 12 months, and it's one where I tell you that you've screwed up. I am a terrible person.

EDIT2: Ok, it looks like it's been fixed now.

Yep, it wasn't us... it was YOU! :lol:

I downloaded the torrent on a machine that had never had OCReMixes on it before, and only one of the files came out with the wrong tags (as opened in Rhythmbox, Ubuntu's default music player). I don't know how it could have happened unless the file was wrong in the torrent, or somehow, the file still contained old tags that would only show up in Rhythmbox. I'll have to try to open that same file on that machine tomorrow.

EDIT: Found it by using a HEX editor: at 0x00011ea2, i.e. 73378 bytes from the start of the file, it says vgmix.com. A few bytes ahead of this, it says "APETAGEX", followed by the same info I saw in Rhythmbox, so I guess it's an APE tag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APE_tag). Never heard of it before, but it looks like it can exist side-by-side with the ID3 tag in the same file and that Rhythmbox gives it higher priority than the ID3 (which, according to Winamp, starts at byte 73423). Since this was the only file that Rhythmbox treated differently, I'm guessing it's the only file in the torrent that has an APE tag.

Interestingly, Winamp can supposedly read APEv2 tags, but they don't show up for this file. Maybe the tag has been corrupted somehow, or it's an APEv1 tag? I guess leaving it in won't exactly hurt (unless someone else uses Rhythmbox, or another player that behaves like it, and reports the same thing I just did), but for consistency, it would be better to remove it, whenever time so allows.

Edited by Dafydd

I downloaded the torrent on a machine that had never had OCReMixes on it before, and only one of the files came out with the wrong tags (as opened in Rhythmbox, Ubuntu's default music player). I don't know how it could have happened unless the file was wrong in the torrent, or somehow, the file still contained old tags that would only show up in Rhythmbox. I'll have to try to open that same file on that machine tomorrow.

EDIT: Found it by using a HEX editor: at 0x00011ea2, i.e. 73378 bytes from the start of the file, it says vgmix.com. A few bytes ahead of this, it says "APETAGEX", followed by the same info I saw in Rhythmbox, so I guess it's an APE tag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APE_tag). Never heard of it before, but it looks like it can exist side-by-side with the ID3 tag in the same file and that Rhythmbox gives it higher priority than the ID3 (which, according to Winamp, starts at byte 73423). Since this was the only file that Rhythmbox treated differently, I'm guessing it's the only file in the torrent that has an APE tag.

Interestingly, Winamp can supposedly read APEv2 tags, but they don't show up for this file. Maybe the tag has been corrupted somehow, or it's an APEv1 tag? I guess leaving it in won't exactly hurt (unless someone else uses Rhythmbox and reports the same thing I just did), but for consistency, it would be better to remove it, whenever time so allows.

Is it the same file? The Terminal Velocity mix? Or something different?

Yep, same one! It was never "fixed" like I thought it was, the same file just looked ok in Winamp after I re-downloaded that one file from the torrent... but it's still wrong in Rhythmbox. Maybe fixing it is as easy as overwriting that part of the file with zeroes, but it's probably a better idea to find a tool that can strip the file of the APE tag. I don't know what you've been using to tag all these MP3s so far (and I really hope you weren't using Winamp :lol:), but it looks like EasyTAG (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG) or Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html) can do the job. Both are free and run on Windows. I've tested neither, but the former looks a lot more like something I'd want to install on my machine than does the latter.

Edited by Dafydd

Yep, same one! It was never "fixed" like I thought it was, the same file just looked ok in Winamp after I re-downloaded that one file from the torrent... but it's still wrong in Rhythmbox. Maybe fixing it is as easy as overwriting that part of the file with zeroes, but it's probably a better idea to find a tool that can strip the file of the APE tag. I don't know what you've been using to tag all these MP3s so far (and I really hope you weren't using Winamp :lol:), but it looks like EasyTAG (https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/EasyTAG) or Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html) can do the job. Both are free and run on Windows. I've tested neither, but the former looks a lot more like something I'd want to install on my machine than does the latter.

AFAIK, I don't see the APE tag anywhere in MP3tag, but I've Googled some instances of people complaining they couldn't edit that kind of tag out. Will see if stripping the tags and reapplying them would get rid of an APETAGEX.

• 6 months later...

Hello folks, i have a little question regarding the torrents on the site. Back when i was downloading those huge 1k remix batches i got 1-1000, 1000-2000 and 2000-2500 ones. Now it seems they have been put into big 1-3000 torrent. Is there any way to get 2500-3000 or even 2000-3000 ones without having to download all those and sorting through them over and over again? I've been sorting the remixes i downloaded from you guys for quite awhile now, don't want to start it all over again and downloading 500 songs one by one is a hassle i would rather no go through if i can. If not, then oh well, i'll have to, the music is just too good to pass up.

Slava

Hello folks, i have a little question regarding the torrents on the site. Back when i was downloading those huge 1k remix batches i got 1-1000, 1000-2000 and 2000-2500 ones. Now it seems they have been put into big 1-3000 torrent. Is there any way to get 2500-3000 or even 2000-3000 ones without having to download all those and sorting through them over and over again? I've been sorting the remixes i downloaded from you guys for quite awhile now, don't want to start it all over again and downloading 500 songs one by one is a hassle i would rather no go through if i can. If not, then oh well, i'll have to, the music is just too good to pass up.

Slava

There's no way to tease out just the more recent songs, but as long as you haven't changed the files, you can put them in the destination folder and the torrent program should attempt to skip them. That said, all of the files have been retagged with more complete, consistent information, as well as hundreds of the files being encoded in higher quality. If you don't care about play count or ratings, we'd recommend you just re-grab everything.

I have this really stupid habit of organizing everything by genre/mood of the song and removing songs i don't really enjoy. Disabling two thousand files after searching whether i have them in a heap of folders would prove even more difficult than downloading the rest by hand from the main site. Sadly i haven't found the torrent client capable of sorting the files by their id3 tags. To make matters worse, chrome has this thing about playing mp3 files, instead of downloading them when clicking the download link. Well, better brace myself, as i already said the music is just too good to pass up. Thanks for the replies.

Slava

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Would there be any sort of plan in future to create a secondary torrent that would break up the songs into their specific games, as it is here? That way, instead of having to pick through the better part of four thousand songs for the ones someone wants, they can just click a sub-folder for 'Secret of Mana' or whatever they're looking for.

3 hours ago, His Infinite Machine said:

Would there be any sort of plan in future to create a secondary torrent that would break up the songs into their specific games, as it is here? That way, instead of having to pick through the better part of four thousand songs for the ones someone wants, they can just click a sub-folder for 'Secret of Mana' or whatever they're looking for.

While each mix is required to have a primary game assigned to it, many are evenly split among sources from different games, where the "main" game is only a smidge more dominant.

We don't have plans for what you're describing, to answer the question, but we HAVE considered subfolders for the main collection torrents to break things down either by alpha, or by year. We can add this as an option to evaluate, but it would be a little trickier.

Another option would be programmatically generating playlists for each game, and/or each artist, and storing those in a separate subfolder in the torrents.

27 minutes ago, djpretzel said:

While each mix is required to have a primary game assigned to it, many are evenly split among sources from different games, where the "main" game is only a smidge more dominant.

We don't have plans for what you're describing, to answer the question, but we HAVE considered subfolders for the main collection torrents to break things down either by alpha, or by year. We can add this as an option to evaluate, but it would be a little trickier.

Another option would be programmatically generating playlists for each game, and/or each artist, and storing those in a separate subfolder in the torrents.

You can see where I'm trying to go though, right? Something with a bit more more organization to it. As it is now, it's basically "Here's every song we have; figure out what you want for yourself."

48 minutes ago, His Infinite Machine said:

You can see where I'm trying to go though, right? Something with a bit more more organization to it. As it is now, it's basically "Here's every song we have; figure out what you want for yourself."

Yes but that also has some advantages if you lean on Windows' built-in ID3 tag capability, or a similar functionality/utility in other operating systems - we've tagged stuff with game, composer, artist, system, publisher, year, etc., and all of those become sortable in one view... it's just that w/ 3K+ files, unless you've got a beefier machine, it takes a bit to process.

A similar request has been made to do "series" torrents, i.e. "GIMME ALL DA ZELDA" - one permutation would be JUST separating out the more mixed games, or more mixed series, as subfolders, with a threshold of 20+ mixes qualifying a game/series for "subfolder status".

We don't want to maintain too many torrents, or it defeats the point, but we might put an alternate organization method up for vote at some point this year.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, djpretzel said:

Tangential question;

Aside from tradition, is there any particular reason each mix has to have a primary game? I mean, couldn't each mix be tagged with a list of games it draws from, and subsequently show up when somebody searches any of the games the mix draws from?

25 minutes ago, Geoffrey Taucer said:

Tangential question;

Aside from tradition, is there any particular reason each mix has to have a primary game? I mean, couldn't each mix be tagged with a list of games it draws from, and subsequently show up when somebody searches any of the games the mix draws from?

So this is a great data modeling type question, and the answer is twofold:

• It makes titling easier/clearer, as the primary game name becomes part of the mix title AND the filename, aiding discoverability in a number of contexts
  • Most mixes are single game, often single source, so more often than not it isn't an issue; we could have mix titles and filenames that begin with "Multiple" or "Various" but that's kind of hideous, and the use case is relatively anomalous as well...

• 1 year later...

Hey guys!

I know this thread hasn't had any post for quite some time, but I was wondering if there were any plans to update the torrent file to include the new remixes since Q4 2018? I would be much grateful if I could update my collection without having to manually download all the files uploaded in the last 18 months! :)

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...