Having Trouble with FLStudio

misty78

The Internet is enraging enough without having to DEAL with FL Studio being annoying.

I have the FL Studio 20 demo. I am enraged by it. If it isn't enough that Image-LIne bleeps out the comments of HELP THREADS OF HOW TO USE THE PROGRAM? Like very welcoming to newcomers. Also if the price wasn't so insanely high maybe they wouldn't have such a piracy problem and thus not need to BLEEP OUT HELP THREADS OF HOW TO USE THE PROGRAM.

The program is incredibly complicated, even just reading the help file is a chore...

I came here to complain about Click-Count being too high, needlessly high, like I can't just simply Clone an instrument, I have to manually go to ADD over and over, wasting click count for no reason. And FL Soundfont player, isn't even in the default list so I have to do extra clicks to load it over and over, it's incredibly infuriating. I can't also just right click a pattern and say "Make Unique" anymore either. 

No such thing as better.
Better for different purposes, maybe. Better for different people, maybe. But not flat out better.

I switched because I got a helluva deal on a not so old used gaming pc with a 12-core i7, so I had to switch away from Logic (mac only). I know plenty of people who get good use out of REAPER, and after using it, I actually found that it worked better for me since virtually nothing I do uses midi more complicated than low resource sample libraries (almost everything I do is live recorded instruments).

12 minutes ago, JohnStacy said:

No such thing as better.
Better for different purposes, maybe. Better for different people, maybe. But not flat out better.

I switched because I got a helluva deal on a not so old used gaming pc with a 12-core i7, so I had to switch away from Logic (mac only). I know plenty of people who get good use out of REAPER, and after using it, I actually found that it worked better for me since virtually nothing I do uses midi more complicated than low resource sample libraries (almost everything I do is live recorded instruments).

Eh. I'm more about piano roll. And I don't use macs. What else do you recommend for me?

Take a deep breath. All DAWs have a learning curve. FL Studio is not expensive; not at all, compared to most other DAWs. For beginner questions, you should look for tutorial resources rather than posting on the forums. It will probably be faster and easier to simply watch how the program works.

You can clone an instrument easily. Right click on the channel and click "clone".

You can make unique easily too. Click the upper left of a pattern in the playlist (the dropdown arrow) and click "make unique". I don't think it has ever been a right-click option.

You can add anything to your favorites list of plugins/channels. When you click "Add" go to "More Plugins". See the checkmark column on the left? Click that next to anything you want 'favorited'.

14 minutes ago, zircon said:

Take a deep breath. All DAWs have a learning curve. FL Studio is not expensive; not at all, compared to most other DAWs. For beginner questions, you should look for tutorial resources rather than posting on the forums. It will probably be faster and easier to simply watch how the program works.

You can clone an instrument easily. Right click on the channel and click "clone".

You can make unique easily too. Click the upper left of a pattern in the playlist (the dropdown arrow) and click "make unique". I don't think it has ever been a right-click option.

You can add anything to your favorites list of plugins/channels. When you click "Add" go to "More Plugins". See the checkmark column on the left? Click that next to anything you want 'favorited'.

I'm not a noob. I had the FL studio free trial for a long time now. I'd always have to leave the PC running or else lose my work and it was frustrating. I used the old FL Studios way back in the past. But this new FL Studio 20 just seems gimped. I don't understand what I'm doing. I just want something else.

Do you really think I have not tried that before? It sounds to me that you have not tried the new FL Studio 20, which is gimped.

In FL Studio 20 I see no "Clone" option after right click and I see no "Make Unique" like before. They have removed all the features I loved, but they have made sure to add a fudge-ton of extra features that I never asked for that just clutter everything up. Like they removed FL Soundfont player from the default list and makes it take extra clicks? They are insane. I think I am going to PM Image-Line and just see if they can sell me the old FL Studio for cheap because I don't want to deal with this new hot garbage.

Yes, I'm using FL Studio 20. If you're using the free trial they may have removed features from that, I don't know. There's also a cut-down "Fruity Edition" ($99). But I guarantee that the Producer Edition, which is $199 (same as always), works the way I'm describing. The Producer Edition is the one to get.

It might not be the DAW for you, but they didn't remove any features. And just so you know, Reason is $399, Cubase Artist is $309, Cubase Pro is $559, Pro Tools is $299, Studio One Pro is $399... the full version of FL being $199 is really reasonable, and it has lifetime free updates which *no* other DAWs have.

13 minutes ago, JohnStacy said:

REAPER is $60. It has a piano roll.

BTW

Zircon kinda knows FL studio. I wouldn't argue. Also he wrote the tutorial on it.

Ah I see. I guess I will reconsider FL studio 20 then in that case. Not impressed with the demo though. Also I really want some of the synths like Poizone but wont let me without the $899. 

If the somewhat patronizing responses here like the one above me are not serviceable to you, Misty, consider looking for and trying some older versions of FL Studio and see if they are easier for you to use. I've been using FL Studio exclusively since 2003 and have some accomplished some fairly incredible things on it while having some not-insignificant learning and mental difficulties (to be generous) and I've still probably not used 40% of what the program has to offer. It IS deep and complicated, but with time and patience, you will figure it out just like I did.

I use FL Studio 11, myself. The limitations are the same as the ones you mention above but it has remained a reliable mixture of simplicity and powerful function to the point that I have never needed to upgrade from it. Some months ago I even found and re-installed FL Studio 11 on my laptop here, so finding an older version and trying it out should be a worthwhile venture for you. Don't go too old though, certain functions indelible to FL Studio now are not in the oldest of versions and lifetime license to use FL Studio only goes back to a point.

Also, you do NOT need to spend $900 to get FL Studio and Poizone at the same time. Poizone can be bought and downloaded separately as opposed to a bundle. If money is an issue, go with a vst called Synth1, that thing is free, super easy to set up, and thousands of fan-made presets exist for it to give you all the synth stuff you could ever need.

9 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

If the somewhat patronizing responses here like the one above me are not serviceable to you, Misty, consider looking for and trying some older versions of FL Studio and see if they are easier for you to use.

Hey, don't do this. Don't call out other replies as "patronizing." Give your advice without the snide commentary.

• DarkeSword changed the title to Having Trouble with FLStudio

If you are looking for something new to try but don't want to spend anything Bandlab acquired Cakewalk and released Sonar Platinum to everyone for free just less than a year ago.  

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

...which I am still just absolutely thrilled about since I paid Roland around $200 to upgrade from Sonar 8 and then paid Gibson another $300 for lifetime rolling updates roughly 9 months before they closed the company and laid off most of the staff :/

Even after all that it's still, somehow, my DAW of choice.  You're still going to have to learn the way Sonar works though just as you would with any software so expect to spend 15-20 hours before you start to feel fluent with it IF you already have experience with music making. 

On 1/10/2019 at 7:57 PM, misty78 said:

Also I really want some of the synths like Poizone but wont let me without the $899. 

If you did have the money to throw around I still really wouldn't recommend the all plugins bundle. The $200 producer edition already comes with arguably IL's best synth Sytrus and there are better VSTis available also. All those plugins can be bought separately too so you don't have to buy the full bundle, but again VSTs should also be considered...if you were just committed to spending $700 extra, you'd get way more out of other companies plugins. FL itself is $200 for the fully unlocked version, if you're looking to expand on a budget other plugins are mostly better options