Cubase or FL Studio for Beginner ?

Oni_vibe

Hello guys, 

I ask your advices today because I was wondering which music making program is the best for beginner who like stuff like Lofi Jazzy Hip Hop or Chillout/Ambient music.

I watched a lot of various video tutorial and they all make Dubstep or Deep House music, and even if I know it's for start I'm still a bit sad about that.

By the way, you guys know any Tutorial / Walkthrough by Lofi or Hip Hop or Chillout music maker ? And do you think it's better for me to choose Cubase or FL Studio ?

Sorry for all this questions, but I don't have anyone to talk with about that and If I can take some advices from people have already experience in music making that could help me a lot. :roll:

• 3 months later...

Disclosure, I is noob:)

Cakewalk is now free. It used to be a program you used to have to pay for, but through foreign corporate acquisition, you can get it as "Cakewalk by Bandlab", free. You'll have to set up a Bandlab account, and then the DAW is yours. LMMS is also free, but it's VST capabilities are horrid. However, it's built in synths and soundfont support are awesome. There are VST's for SF support in other DAWS, but LMMS seems to do it the best and most consistently. You can always use both:) If you don't like them, you are out zero dollars.

VST's are important, that's where you'll get the most of your sounds, and there are many good free ones out there for beginners, like us:) It's great we live in a time and age when we can get our feet wet for free. I've not paid a dime for anything, and I think my stuff keeps sounding better and better through practice with the tools I have. Full disclosure, I'm not posted on OCR yet (I hope it happens), but I'm working on it, and I have made it a mission to do so without paying anything, so that everyone else knows that it can be done for free, also.

TL;DR. You can try Cakewalk and LMMS for free, and they both have their strengths.

Edited by Audiomancer

22 hours ago, Audiomancer said:

Cakewalk is now free. It used to be a program you used to have to pay for, but through foreign corporate acquisition, you can get it as "Cakewalk by Bandlab", free. You'll have to set up a Bandlab account, and then the DAW is yours. LMMS is also free, but it's VST capabilities are horrid. However, it's built in synths and soundfont support are awesome. There are VST's for SF support in other DAWS, but LMMS seems to do it the best and most consistently. You can always use both:) If you don't like them, you are out zero dollars.

As a long time Sonar user I was looking to jump ship after the Gibson fiasco. However, Bandlab regularly has been releasing updates to Sonar Platinum and it's now a better, more stable product than it was under Rol... well Gibson anyway.  Sonar 8 will always be the best days of the DAW even though the interface was clunky as all hell to use but it was the most stable version of the DAW from Cakewalk ever. 

There are some annoyances that never have been addressed in Sonar like not being able to rearrange the synth rack and frequently needing to reset the piano roll grid in order to get MIDI to draw in correctly. ...and don't even get me started on how worthless the Staff View is but outside of that it's a great piece of software that is up there with Pro Tools and Cubase.   

• 3 months later...