DAW based on sheet music?

46 minutes ago, Marc Bridgham said:

Back in the day Home Studio had a notation/piano key input mode.  I loved it because it allowed me to lay down some things I was not well equipped to do live or in piano roll.  I know sheet music.  And on the road.  

I hoping to figure how to import notation tracks from composing software into the DAW

Export them as midis. Most composition software should be able to do that with varying degrees of success.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:14 PM, JohnStacy said:

Spurred by a misunderstanding on another thread, I am kind of curious if this exists.

Is there a daw that centers around notated music? I don't mean notation software (Finale, Sibelius, etc). Really more like, a DAW where entering midi data for synths/etc is managed primarily through a notation interface rather than centering around piano roll. I know of Logic, REAPER, and several others have a notation viewer/editor, but my understanding was that those were secondary and really for sending things to performers/collaborators.

I do virtually no arranging work in a DAW. Everything I arrange is in Sibelius, purely through notation, then I export that midi to REAPER and go from there, usually with recorded instruments.

I guess I'm really just curious if anybody has made a DAW primarily operated through notation. I'm over 99% sure that it doesn't really exist, because it would be heavily impractical and aimed at a somewhat niche market, as a good portion of people who would benefit don't really need it.

In my DAW, Samplitude Pro X4 Suite, it's possible to show your MIDI stuff as a regular notation (editing notes is not possible in this mode) in the MIDI editor.
It looks like this:

Notation.thumb.PNG.28850522bc939067109097cc2eff469b.PNG

But it's also possible to show your MIDI stuff as piano-roll-synchronized notation (editings notes right in the notation view is possible there) in addition to the standard piano roll in the MIDI editor).
And it looks like this:

NotationPianoRoll.thumb.PNG.82e1e163b3b67cbae1b9320276cb71ee.PNG

But yeah, I'm so used to the piano roll (for me, it has a better and clearer logical structure for intuitive understanding of what's going on in the track - and it's much easier to work with it) that I wouldn't even dare to use the note editing features in the notation view.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished writing a score for a cappella choir in MuseScore 4, and I thought it was surprisingly easy and intuitive to compose with. The instruments are pretty good, but not when you need a choir. Now, I also have the vocal library genius of EastWest Studios for some of the best AI generated voices I have ever heard. Trying to get the two to play nice with each other... that's the rub. I have Logic in another studio, and I love it, but that equipment isn't mine to use for personal stuff, where EastWest Opus and MuseScore are mine. So in a way, I have the same issue. How to turn a score into DAW without spending more money than I have to.