Resident Evil 2 Remake

Garpocalypse

It's been out for 24 hours now and I can say that it's far better than my wildest expectations that I had for this remake. Growing up with the original RE's I figured a quick homage with some familiar locations would have been enough to satisfy a nostalgic gamer such as myself, but what is here is loads more than the PSX RE2 was and probably, dare i say, surpasses what the RE1 remake did for the original RE.  Definitely not for the feint of heart as I am routinely dumbfounded by the rather extreme levels of gore in this game but it is loads of fun and the tension almost never lets you relax for more than a few beats.  Don't even get me started on how well they have treated the trenchcoated tyrant.  There's something about staying huddled in a small room hearing footsteps just outside and hoping he doesn't open the door and charge you...  

Is RE2:Remake the pinnacle of the survival horror genre...nay, gaming in it's entirety??

Discuss. :)

1 hour ago, Meteo Xavier said:

It's not Nemesis, it's sort of his "proto-predecessor" of sorts. The idea of Nemesis surely came out of the creature referred to here in RE2.

..and after you see this guy you're not going to want capcom to do RE3's Nemesis this way.  

Mostly because it's going to be more of the same thing and it ain't exactly a great way to reduce the amount of stress in your life.  The nameless guy in the trechcoat, who was dubbed Mr. X by the fans of the original, pressures you constantly when you're trying to figure out how to maneuver through areas to get what you need with the least amount of resistance and when you see him suddenly chasing you down running through that hallway with 2 lickers and a gang of zombies doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. 

No spoilers but I am just about through the first scenario and it's clear this game was made out of love for the original.  Even the more awkward plot points were addressed or rewritten to make sense such as Ben's odd decision to lock himself in a jail cell and Kendo's reasoning for pointing a shotgun at someone who is obviously not a zombie.  In fact, Kendo's small scenario was absolutely gut wrenching.  It's like Capcom looked at the drama in The Last of Us and thought "We could do better..." and they did. 

Plus the game just keeps screwing with you in how many different scares it has.  The singular jump scare card that the series played heavily in the past is gone and while jump scares are a huge part of the game still that's not all you're in for.  

Can't stop gushing about this game. Forcing myself to take an hour break then i'm going back in.  

I do have storyline issues with Resident Evil having a concept such as Nemesis and what essentially amounts to his "rough draft" being let loose in the same city at the same time, but as I couldn't handle Resident Evil 3 with Nemesis from a gameplay point of view (I've only played the first hour of Resident Evil 3 before stopping and now Nemesis shows up in my Resident Evil-themed nightmares) I suppose to me that's moot.

I don't have any way to play the new Resident Evil 2, but maybe that's a good thing. I've seen some video of it and I don't think I could handle playing the game. Maybe a little bit scared (and this comes from a guy who has actual supernatural experience in his past AND present) but I also think the super-improved upon everything and huge everything else might be more than I can handle all the way around.

3 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

I do have storyline issues with Resident Evil having a concept such as Nemesis and what essentially amounts to his "rough draft" being let loose in the same city at the same time, but as I couldn't handle Resident Evil 3 with Nemesis from a gameplay point of view (I've only played the first hour of Resident Evil 3 before stopping and now Nemesis shows up in my Resident Evil-themed nightmares) I suppose to me that's moot.

I don't have any way to play the new Resident Evil 2, but maybe that's a good thing. I've seen some video of it and I don't think I could handle playing the game. Maybe a little bit scared (and this comes from a guy who has actual supernatural experience in his past AND present) but I also think the super-improved upon everything and huge everything else might be more than I can handle all the way around.

Yeah, I can't do too much spooky stuff. I could handle the scary games back when everyone was a pixelated mess.

But movies or photorealistic games? Can't handle it, especially gore, scars or insects. I'll have nightmares and outright hallucinations for months. The gore in this is some next-level shit too

I want to play RE2, but I'd rather sleep.

Finished up Leon's first run early this morning and enjoyed it quite a bit. The new visuals, the aural upgrade, the gameplay tweaks, the plot touch ups and such made it a fun experience and a great update to an already very good game. Running and hiding in spots to avoid Mr. X as he goes stomping by, and then quietly walking away so as not to alert him, broke up to zombie fighting in nice ways. It really adds a lot of tension to the game, especially when he's not that close and you're unsure of whether what you're hearing are your footsteps, or his.

Definitely glad I picked this up and hope that Capcom gives RE3 this kind of attention in the future. Now, I'm off to start Claire's first run.

I got cornered in the safety deposit room by TWO lickers. I figured I could book it to the west office, not knowing Mr. X was standing in the doorway, got knocked on my back by him, into the hallway full of lickers. Somehow i got right the hell out of there and survived. Most terrifying scenerio ive ever experienced in a game.