Trouble burning stuff.

Paladin-01

For some time now, my DVD-RW drive has been giving me crap whenever I try and burn anything aside from a music CD, telling me "Windows has encountered an error trying to copy this file. Retry or Cancel". Retry fails, and Cancel aborts. I have no idea how to fix it, and this has persisted even though when I formatted it yesterday. I'm thinking I may need to replace the drive, but thats a hassle. Thoughts?

What software are you using to burn the disks, and what kind of media are you burning? I know from personal experience that XP's built-in CD burning support is horrible, and it's recommended to use another program(Nero, Alcohol 120% or others) to burn disks.

If those still give errors, it could be a dead drive.

Yeah, I've had similar problems by using Windows Explorer and copying files from my documents and putting them into the disc drive to write, except my comp tells me that there is actually no disc in the drive.

I recommend Sonic DigitalMedia Plus. It allows you to burn all kinds of CDs from music, DVD and data CDs.