Relaxing remix of DKC2's "Stickerbrush Symphony"

BloomingLate

I decided to import my older remix into FL Studio and see if I can make it better using proper VSTi's. The result is a more relaxing version which features some of Spitfire Audio LABS' free stuff (synth pads and frozen strings). It still needs some tweaking, and I'd like to get other people's opinion on the overall balance between the different sounds/layers (my ears are toast!). I'm definitely happy with the vibe of the piece though it would be nice if it were longer. Then again, longer might make it boring after a while.

Things I'm already aware of:

• pads need smoother transitions and maybe some dynamics automation
  • drum beat needs to be less robotic

What do you think? Anything I'm missing?

Previous version for reference:

Stickerbrush Symphony! A good song to work with, methinks. I for on enjoyed your piece. The chimes, the soft synthy bells, the gentle sweeping ambiance. It all feels pretty well blended, though I think the melody is a little too close to the sound of the backing at times. Perhaps that's actually a good thing, given your approach. At any rate, well done.

11 hours ago, Souperion said:

Stickerbrush Symphony! A good song to work with, methinks. I for on enjoyed your piece. The chimes, the soft synthy bells, the gentle sweeping ambiance. It all feels pretty well blended, though I think the melody is a little too close to the sound of the backing at times. Perhaps that's actually a good thing, given your approach. At any rate, well done.

Thank you kindly for your feedback :) Glad you enjoyed it.

SS is a very dear track to me and has been ever since I first heard it some 20 years ago (!). A friend later introduced me to OCremix and one of the first tracks he shared was a remix of this same song. That just opened up a whole other world for me. Remixing allows us to put a fresh spin on old favorites.

I'm glad you pointed out the thing about the melody sounding too close to the backing. I think this is especially so during the second part when the drums kick in. Part of the problem has to do with the VSTi I'm using. For some reason the volume of some in between notes drops considerably. It doesn't respond to velocity changes. I tried compensating using EQ at the risk of overamplifying the note next to it. I'll have to check if maybe the "variation" setting is causing the random velocity spikes/dips. The instrument itself is quite soft on its own and the volume is already set to 400% :D

Thanks again!