*NO* Jill of the Jungle "Jazz of the Jungle"

Gario

Dan Froelich’s Theme “Funky” from the computer game “Jill of the Jungle” from Epic Megagames. A Nick Stubblefield arrangement, featuring Nick Stubblefield on keyboards (with permission acquired from the original composer!)

Remixer name: NickStubblefield
Email: 

Name of game arranged: Jill of the Jungle
Name of arrangement: Jazz of the Jungle
Name of individual song arranged: “Funky”
Game composer: Dan Froelich
Description: Fun arrangmement of “Funky” from “Jill of the Jungle.” This music was utilized on the main menu as well as map levels of the game. I always found it inspiring, and decided to develop an overlay of blues and jazz that blended with the original track.

I have to preface by saying old computer games and shareware titles hold a special nostalgic place for me.  I've never heard of this one in particular, but he music definitely strikes that chord with me. (Also, lol @ the option for the EPIC BBS)

The mixer here definitely goes for a similar feel to the original, with the old school computer sounds, but with added parts like the slap bass, additional percussion, and Rhodes (later piano).  It does sound like something that could've been written perhaps for a sequel on a pc with better sound hardware (Sound Blaster Pro or compatible!)

With that in mind, it sounds like the additional added parts may overlaid on top of the original track.  He does, according to the write-up, have arrangement permission from the original composer, but I think some clarification if this is kosher for posting on OCR?

?

• Nutritious changed the title to 2018/01/13 - (1?) Jill of the Jungle "Jazz of the Jungle"

Yeah, Nutritious' is on point on this one; the arrangement overlays the source track. Though quiet, the backing track is there throughout. It's kind of cool that the artist actually (allegedly) got permission from the original composer to do this, but as per OCR's standards this isn't considered substantial enough to be considered an arrangement:

2. Your arrangement must be substantial and original.

• Taking the original game audio and simply adding drum loops or using an existing MIDI file and assigning new instruments does not qualify as substantial or original arrangement.

The track, while pretty neat unto itself, is in essence taking the original game audio and adding items on top of it (standard specifies drums, but this applies to other instruments too), which violates this standard. I should've caught it in the inbox, but no biggie.

NO, OVERRIDE

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Jill of the Jungle "Jazz of the Jungle"
  • Liontamer locked this topic