OCR03948 - *YES* Skies of Arcadia "Brain Sound Tilt" *PROJECT*

Gario

Ribbit?

I'm just copying my write-up for this track named "Brain Sound Tilt", which I've just finished and will be featured on OCR's Skies of Arcadia "Arcadia Legends" album:

"This Modus guy first hit me up on Facebook during a time when my psyche wasn't very salsa n' samba. It took it a while to start dancing again, but when it did, he immediately noticed and messaged me once more, and there was this very almost completed album to which I thought "k c'mon let's keep it up" and PAM - I chose Ramirez's theme. I've admittedly never played Skies of Arcadia, but when I heard that tune, it somehow clicked and I went curious to learn more about its background. Apparently, Ramirez's mind went by a twist after some events, running from love to hate, judging a whole nation for the acts of individuals, whereas putting all his trust in one single person, who died afterwards, etc... 

All in all, it was the perfect moment to explore a psychology-themed mix, so this one's my attempt to emulate Ramirez's inner self: there's a dark environment, with some grits, glitches, distortions, dissonances and a dancey chorus that attempts to make it brighter and brighter, until it fails on the last chord, biased by those interferences only to be overcome by darkness again".

Thank you Modus for the approach, and Darkflamewolf for the opportunity you've created!

Download link: 
Source: https://youtu.be/Et_zP0v3thU

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is equal parts odd and awesome.  Kinda jazzy too.  And weird.  Rich with ideas and stuff you would think wouldn't work together, but it does.  The more straightforward thing about this one is the production, which is clean and solid.

I went to the artist's writeup thinking I would find some guidance but I was mistaken.

YES

Edited by Sir_NutS

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/02/01 - (2Y) Skies of Arcadia "Brain Sound Tilt"
  • 1 month later...

Prior to the release of Arcadia Legends, Darkflamewolf allowed me to air this and 2 other tracks on SEGA Mixer Drive (WF-2018) as previews - and having been familiar with Guilherme's work in the past, I felt the dark mood was a step in a more unfamiliar direction and a continuation of his growing cinematic writing.

The instrumentation was well balanced and expressed, there's beautiful humanization on all organic sounds, and there's enough attention to the sound design to draw me into its mood and story-based intent.  I enjoyed it then based on its production values alone - and I wasn't familiar with the source material!

Listening back with the source fresh in my head, I can see Guilherme's creative input as well.  It's got the same structure as the original's 3-minute loop, but there are a lot of additions made that benefit it.  There are more lively chords in segments with the most major motif (0:19-0:39), a new chorus section that adds more life from that part as mentioned earlier (1:09-1:49), new backing instrumentation writing over the top and a shuffle groove as opposed to the source's straight rhythms.  He knew what he was doing when interpreting the BGM - and while not as expansive as previous submissions, it's still a well-personalized take that knows how to grab attention.

Having understood the arrangement is every bit as sharp as the production values, I am happy to see this one on the front page.  Nice going!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/02/01 - (3Y) Skies of Arcadia "Brain Sound Tilt"

well, this one's a rubber stamp. the artist does such a great job of mirroring the original's constantly shifting textures and styles while making it their own. when the melody really fills in at 1:09, he really combines a bunch of disparate instruments to make something really unique. i also really appreciated the feel of the extended piano solo section - combining those great synth barks and glitchy sounds with more urbane sounds like the bass and keys. tying it all together with solid production values that allow the important parts to speak out while letting the unique flavor of the work sing through is the cherry on top.

this is an easy vote for me.

YES

Edited by prophetik music

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03948 - *YES* Skies of Arcadia "Brain Sound Tilt"