OCR03909 - *YES* Mother "Snowmen and Starmen"

Gario

• 1 month later...

This is a classic theme yet you've staked your claim to a very nicely personalized rendition here. The electric guitar timing felt too rigid, IMO, but it was still expressive enough, so perhaps it's more of a subjective criticism. Solid fleshing out of the theme, Reuben, and I loved the acoustic guitar and woodwind work in particular.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/01/29 - (1Y) Mother 'Snowmen and Starmen'
  • 3 weeks later...

It's impressive how slowing it down makes room for the different instruments to really shine.  A beautiful but faithful reinterpretation.  I also don't really agree with the choice of the electric guitar, but in my case it's more because it devours too much of the frequency spectrum and smothers the delicate interplay between the flute and guitar.  But as with Larry, it's more a subjective preference.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The electric guitar's harmonic distortion feels strangely static; for an effect that's supposed to channel a certain amount of living chaos & motion, it struck me as odd how it sounds the same when repeated.

...but that's the only bad thing I can say :) Absolutely wonderful, pleasant, slower interpretation with some sublime details on the individual parts. This is very much how I want to hear this theme :)

YES

The combination of this one is really good - the acoustic guitar blends with flute and e-piano so darn well. The electric guitar sounds very muted and doesn't blend quite as well and the timing of the notes is ever so slightly delayed, but it's not an unwelcome change in texture, regardless, which overall helps prevent the track's soundscape from becoming static. Some of the flute notes hit a half step sharp (like at 1:26, and similar instances), which is distracting when you know they're there (sorry 'bout that, y'all!), but otherwise the performances are quite good.

A little jank here and there doesn't drag this nearly below the bar, though; I'm all for giving this one the front page treatment. Nice work from Reuben!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03909 - *YES* Mother "Snowmen and Starmen"