*NO* Chrono Trigger "Chronot Trigger Edge of Time"

Gario

Hello,

I would like to submit my newest track to you guys.

• Remixer Name: Riku Namako
  • email: 
  • userid: 35132

I'm sending the track as an attachment, but here is a link as well if thats more convenient.

•  game arranged: Chrono Trigger
    • Name of arrangement: Chronot Trigger Edge of Time
    • Name of individual song arranged: Chrono Trigger (title track)
    • Comments: Not much I can say other than that I wanted to try my hand at video game remixes, with the ultimate goal of making an album some day. This track was recently finished as part of my own personal project, Limit Break. 

Thanks for your consideration!

• 3 weeks later...

First, this isn't the title track.  It's the main theme but it plays during the demo, not the title screen.

These primitive, MIDI-ish synths are not doing this any favors.  Every single one is tough to listen to, especially the pounding kick, which threatens to give me a headache.

It has over 2 minutes of "intro" in a 4:18 track; far too slow a burn for such a track this length.  The source doesn't even start until 1:36; combined with the bridge at 3:04-3:32, it's still 52% source, just over the 50% we usually we look for.  It cuts out abruptly at the end, with a mid-waveform pop, which would absolutely have to be fixed even if this passed.

The arrangement itself isn't too bad, although it's extremely conservative if you look at just the melodic parts and not the filler parts.  It has a good beat.  But the issues are significant.

NO

A pretty basic arrangement with not-so-great instruments.  The kick has a weird noise release on its click that doesn't sound too great and is pretty exposed.  The main beat kicks in at 0:30 only to go back to the four on the floor kick-only pattern a couple of measures later.  This happens several times, and well, these are buildups that build to nothing.  In electronic music you have to make your buildups count, otherwise, they end up sounding pretty amateurish.  The real buildup to the main melody happens at around 2:03, and it works there, building sufficient energy and expectation for the main hook, but the payoff is not there, and the main lead is pretty flimsy and weak sounding.  The backdrop, bass, and harmonies are being eaten by the drums and so they can hardly be noticed.

The second section after this doesn't bring much energy or anything new to the table, arrangement-wise.  Also, there's an audible click at the end of the track.

I did like some details such as the reversed drum hit to segue into the next measure of the beat, and some of the transition effects but overall, this needs a lot of work.  Don't get discouraged as this is some of your first work and there's still a lot to learn.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/02/11 - (2N) Chrono Trigger 'Chronot Trigger Edge of Time'

Beyond the basic adaptation to EDM, there's not much more going on in terms of interpretation; if that's definitely the direction you want to go it, that's OK, but this would need stronger, fuller-sounding production, and more dynamic contrast to complement the meaningful but still straightforward genre adaptation.

Pretty generic and thin synths, so at no point was the soundscape ever filled out. The initial beats were meant to be thick, but the writing underneath the beats was both too thin and too quiet. At 1:35, the textures were super dry and hollow. At 2:05's section, the textures should have been fuller relative to what came before, but the intensity is still the same as when the beats originally came in at :58; same problem for the close at 3:59. Even when you have the textures change for the chorus at 3:33, there's no body to any of this, just the thicker beats/kicks.

I agree with MW that you shouldn't be discouraged, Harold, but you should still use the WIP feedback and production discussion forums here as well as any other audio forum you visit to continue upping your game. We all have to start somewhere, and this is far from the bar here, but your arrangement did show off your attempts to personalize the sound of "Chrono Trigger". Keep at it!

NO