*NO* Chrono Trigger "Star Stealing Princess of Zeal"

Gario

I removed all the samples I used from the original remix that can be found in the game. All the samples you hear my own samples. I know that some may sound like the CT samples but I assure you and can prove that they are my own if I need to. Also, changed the keys of the piano part that was previously mentioned.  Hope you like it and let me know if there’s anything else I can do. Thanks for listening!! 

Contact Information

1. EchoGhost
  2. Jake McDannold
  4. www.soundcloud.com/echoghost616
  5. 35675-echoghost616

Submission Information

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Schala’s Theme/Star Stealing Girl/A Distant Promise (I think)
  3. Star Stealing Princess of Zeal
  4. Yasunori Mitsuda
  5. Made with FL Studio.

Respectfully,

Jacob McDannold

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

A few issues with this one: first, the track feels extremely static, this may be due to the buildups not being handled properly or large portions of the track extending for too long without showing much development or interesting stuff to listen to (the pad/choir breakdown is a good example of this).  I think this is an issue that extends throughout the rest of the mix and the duration could've been cut down significantly without losing much.  This spills into the structure making the whole thing feel drawn-out.

The production could use some work as well.  The samples feel simplistic, although this may be on purpose, it doesn't work very well here.  The main snare has tons of splash but no oomph, which makes it sound sorta silly when isolated as in the first few minutes of the track.  The bassline of four octave-jumping notes tends to get in front of a lot of other elements and doesn't sound very interesting.  Some elements like the bells are alright and fit the mood of the track well, but for the most part, the texture selection here is a mixed bag.

8 Minutes is a lot of time for a single track and you've got to make sure you keep the listeners' attention if you're asking for that much time, and I don't think this track manages that.  Cut it down to something more manageable and make your ideas more concise.  A neat, solid and to the point package will fare better than something that feels that it takes longer than it should for little return.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to (2019/02/26) - (1N) Chrono Trigger 'Star Stealing Princess of Zeal'

I agree with Sir_NutS and I will add a couple of things.  The kick being used is a tuned kick which isn't really appropriate in this type of song, and it is not in tune with the song anyway.  A plain punchy kick with a minimal tail would work better here.  During the heavy parts of the song there are too many elements competing for space both in frequency and soundscape placement.  The different parts also conflict sometimes in writing, which happens when there are too many complex parts playing at once.  Interesting ideas but definitely needs some arrangement and production work.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Chrono Trigger "Star Stealing Princess of Zeal"