OCR03984 - *YES* XG3 "Hypersonic"

Gario

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name                                    Synesthesics
  • Your real name                                          Sandro Kreher
  • Your email address                                    
  • Your website                                             http://mellowsonicsound.npage.de/
  • Your userid                                                33651

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged                         Extreme G3
  • Name of arrangement                                 Menu Theme / Title Theme
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged          Menu Theme
                              Composers                                                 Stuart Duffield

• 2 weeks later...

It's a perfectly serviceable trance track.  Repetitive, of course, but one would expect it to be, both because of the genre, because of the source, and because that's what Synesthesics does.  The percussion especially is unvarying except when it isn't playing at all.  It's not what I'd call "progressive" but it also never exactly repeats.  Does what it's supposed to do and the production is fine.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This stuff brings me back to the late 90s/early 00s when Big Beat was still a hot genre.  I think you managed to represent that very well here.  It's not a big departure from the original, and the genre doesn't lend that much into melodic content so it's mostly repeated synth lines that evolve and modulate with time.  There's always some addition/subtraction of layers going on and I never felt it got too crowded. I think the strength of this track lies in its solid synth work and representation of this genre at its peak, while also doing justice to the original track.  Hell, I think this one is better than the original actually.

I'm onboard with this one, let's go.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to (2018/04/01) - (2Y) XG3 'Hypersonic'
  • 3 months later...

i listened to so much bigbeat back in middle and high school. :49 put me right back in '02. 2:43 was also a great breakdown that really reminded me of the style a lot.

the concept of additive/subtractive arrangement is really well represented in this track. synesthetics does a great job of keeping the track feeling like the original (which really is a pretty minimal source) while continuing to explore new rhythmic synths. the production is pretty tight, and i never got the sense that the track was too long despite its length.

this track feels like it's straight from a sequel of the original. the varied synth work and exploration of a minimal source combine to make this vote easy.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Working with a melodically minimalist source is no small feat, that's for sure.   It also felt like the right kind of track to play with it as a product of the big beat genre - and that groove pushed through my speakers with no seam exposed.  It felt like the intention was to refine the source material for a modern age - and by sound palette and balancing alone, it got nailed on the head.

As for the arrangement itself, I have to admit the bass pattern didn't initially sell itself well - all from sounding different from the source material.  But when the groove kicked in at 0:48 and remained close to that of the source, it felt like an unusual but worthwhile exchange so I can let that slide.

This track also maintained the sequenced blip and choir parts from the source which first appear at 1:21 here and made up a good chunk of ground from them alone.  When not present, there are entire subtractive segments like 2:10 with some new patterns, an entirely original breakdown at 2:42, and that melodic climax at 4:37 that adds a different melodic progression to the synth choir from before.  It's clever stuff - and much like prophetik said, it can fit well in a theoretical XG sequel in the future.  (Throwback Entertainment should get in on that!)

All in all, it's a well-polished track with not only a killer arrangement, but it also adds a lift to the source material's intended aesthetic.  I can easily see this on the front page.  And as a side-note, if OC Remix still exists in the 23rd century, I do hope it works well with racing of that era regardless of its evolution.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03984 - *YES* XG3 "Hypersonic"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic