Pokémon Sword & Shield (Gen 8)

Pipez

• DarkeSword changed the title to Pokémon Sword & Shield (Gen 8)
6 hours ago, orlouge82 said:

The new region looks reminiscent of Germany/Switzerland?  Definitely looks interesting, and I'm glad it'll be on the Switch so that my kids can watch me play instead of asking me questions constantly about what to do next. :)

I've heard that it may be based on the UK.

Yeah, it's UK. Someone showed that an upside-down UK is pretty much spot on.

Galar_Region_Comparison-600x433.jpg

The big city at the North of Galar is London. The starting town is likely Glasgow.

Personally, I'm optimistic about the new games. Gen 7 was... not my favorite. I could go on at detail about it, but basically, I found it frustrating to play. Over and over again, the game would just stop and force me into some stupid cut-scene or have a character who is blocking a path seize the camera and scroll over to tell me what I already knew from the first time I talked to them. It was so bad I still haven't completed one of the Ultra versions.

But seeing what they have of SW/SH (no accepted shorthand for the games yet, that I know of) so far, I see more of what makes the games something I like to play. They have excluded the boring Let's Go style catching, it's back to random encounters (Let's Go was sooooo fucking boring and easy. Just walk right up to something. No planning your route, no trying to sneak through, nothing even remotely challenging), and they are back to proper battling.

Personal thought: if they wanted to include Let's Go style mechanics, they should include a difficulty system. Easy Mode is Let's Go style, where you can see pokémon walking around, catch them without battling, etc... and then have Normal Mode/Hard Difficulty and make it the regular style. People that only play/have only played the Go games can still get in it, and veteran players can use the style they are used to and prefer.

36 minutes ago, The Damned said:

Yeah, it's UK. Someone showed that an upside-down UK is pretty much spot on.

Galar_Region_Comparison-600x433.jpg

The big city at the North of Galar is London. The starting town is likely Glasgow.

Personally, I'm optimistic about the new games. Gen 7 was... not my favorite. I could go on at detail about it, but basically, I found it frustrating to play. Over and over again, the game would just stop and force me into some stupid cut-scene or have a character who is blocking a path seize the camera and scroll over to tell me what I already knew from the first time I talked to them. It was so bad I still haven't completed one of the Ultra versions.

But seeing what they have of SW/SH (no accepted shorthand for the games yet, that I know of) so far, I see more of what makes the games something I like to play. They have excluded the boring Let's Go style catching, it's back to random encounters (Let's Go was sooooo fucking boring and easy. Just walk right up to something. No planning your route, no trying to sneak through, nothing even remotely challenging), and they are back to proper battling.

Personal thought: if they wanted to include Let's Go style mechanics, they should include a difficulty system. Easy Mode is Let's Go style, where you can see pokémon walking around, catch them without battling, etc... and then have Normal Mode/Hard Difficulty and make it the regular style. People that only play/have only played the Go games can still get in it, and veteran players can use the style they are used to and prefer.

I thought that the encounter system was one of the more interesting parts of Let's Go, that you could see what was lurking in the grass.