POWERRRRRRRRR/Melodic METAL!

Meteo Xavier

Now that I'm 60 years old and 425lbs, getting exercise and the will to live is fairly important to my week's routine. I found recently a vein of power/melodic metal that has reinvigorated some dormant fighting spirit within me that I want to share and then also ask for recommendations for more.

And then we can go on to talk more METUHHHHHHL! Because who doesn't like a metal topic?

Here's what I'm listening to nowadays and looking for more of - stuff that sounds pretty close to these melodies, keys, chords and arrangements. A preference towards instrumental, but not required.

Have fun, metalheads.

Well, it only took a week, but someone finally responded. I guess I was at first over-estimating a METUHHHHHHHLLLLL topic in today's EDM-flooded musicscape.

On a more positive note, WHOA that PowerWolf song kicks more ass than I had to start with. That's more than exactly what I was looking for!

I myself found some more Power METUHHHHHHHHLLLLLL that I will post when it's not 4 in the morning after a particularly draining day filled with literal blood and stomach acid.

I would have posted stuff sooner, but I haven't been by the site for a bit.

As for Powerwolf, I enjoy them. Monsters, demons, catchy choruses, and a slice of cheese to round it out. I found out about them a few years back and have been listening to them ever since. You're already aware of Orden Ogan, who are also a good listen. You should also look into Battle Beast, Helloween and Sabaton for more in the genre. In the meantime, here are a few more Powerwolf songs from different albums...

As a quick note, their first two albums (Return in Blood Red and Lupus Die) sound rather different from what I've posted. They were closer to straight up Metal instead of Power Metal back then, as it wasn't until their third album (Bible of the Beast) that they got the Power Metal sound they've been running with for years now.

I find that I've sorta "grown out of" (ultimate sin of metal to say) this sort of music, it's just way too much cheese and plastic nerd music for me. Pure escapism; it's like turning music into a video game. Which would be fine if so many bands didn't take it so seriously.

KCFPyMi.png

Cringe. Anyway, I still like some bands though. Firewind's latest was great.

I also like Beast In Black's new stuff, even though it's maximum cheese.

55 minutes ago, TheChargingRhino said:

Is Ghost power metal or just metal?

They hit a few genres with their music, depending on which song you hear. Metal, Rock, Pop, bits of Disco... their output kind of touches a number of genres.

But in truth, they've described themselves in the past as a Swedish rock band, so Rock would probably be the best thing to run with. Although, I liked the Scooby Doom Metal tag I saw once :lol:

Alright, i'll bite and post some stuff. Probably more well known since I don't delve into the depths of Power/Melodic Metal but here we go: 

Always loved this one just because its such a brutal assault of metal and doesn't try to be anything else. 

One of those silly, uplifting power metal songs

Well known band but I think this is one of their better album cuts

Something a little more unknown, more "normal" metal than power metal but the riffs and duel guitar solos are awesome. (there isn't a decent upload of this song outside the album upload - 4:58)

Edited by WillRock

Firewind... haven't thought about them in a while. Wish that Gus G didn't have to bail on Dream Evil to make it happen.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:06 PM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

it's just way too much cheese and plastic nerd music for me

I can agree with this. I really like early power metal (Helloween, Blind Guardian, Crimson Glory, etc), but like it less and less as time goes on, basically for this reason. Way too much time-correcting, sample-replacing, and all the other flavors of studio magic that create this over-polished and rather generic sound. Basically, most Euro-PM. Seen several bands who also couldn't really recreate their records' wankmanship live. Dragonforce / Sonata Arctica, anyone? 

I've really been into the whole nwothm thing instead. A lot more of a stripped down / live / old school feel to it. Maybe not considered full on power metal, but usually riding that side of the fence between it and classic metal like Maiden and Priest.

Or basically anything from this dude's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCGbKiCJjph8Grazqmo7z4w

Edited by thebitterroost
Unfinished thought. Derp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...