OCR03944 - *YES* Chrono Cross "When Two Worlds Meet" *PROJECT*

Gario

This track is going to be part of the Chrono Cross: Chronopolis remix album.

Hallo,

Remixer name: Jorito
Email: 
Userid: 3899

ReMixer name: Earth Kid
Email:
Userid: 33453

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: Chrono Cross
Name of Arrangement: When Two Worlds Meet
Names of songs arranged: Another Termina (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyROkSCk25Y), Home Marbule (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_y1grbiWQ)

Comments about the mix:

Jorito:

At the very end of the Chrono Cross project, Brad hinted that he could use another track for the faster disc of the album. As it happened, Earth Kid and I had been brainstorming on Discord about a possible collab, where we could combine together her folk sounds with the electronic world. This seemed like an excellent excuse to give it a shot! After some discussion we settled on a rough workflow, with me focusing on arrangement, percussion and bass and electronic sounds in general, and her on live performances on her folk instruments and overall mixing, and both of us chipping in where needed. 

The track started off with a bare bones piano arrangement from Earth Kid that I messed around with. There was a bit of Marbule in there in 4/4 that instantly inspired me to add some Drum & Bass vibes to it, but the other parts were in different time signatures that I struggled to get working in a good way with electronic stuff. After some discussion and experimentation, I finally settled on putting it all in 4/4, but with some swing applied as a nod to the original 6/8 and 2/2 time signatures. From there the arrangement got fleshed out rather quickly, and when Earth Kid replaced my scratch midi with her arsenal of instrumental and vocal performances, the track really came to life. With the swing applied to the track, it has some bouncy goodness to it that I really dig, and with the interesting contrast between the folk and electronic elements as well as an arrangement that keeps things moving, I am hoping you will be bobbing your head to the song as much as we did!

Earth Kid:

This arrangement was an exercise in striking a balance with the contrasting genres we merged, and giving each element its time in 
the sun. I contributed vocals and performances on the Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, Irish bouzouki, and soprano and tenor 
recorders. It was a fun challenge to record, edit, mix, and put together this homage to two charming cities, and I feel that duality was a prominent theme: Termina and Marbule, Home World and Another World, folk music and electronic music. I hope you enjoy listening to this song as much as we enjoyed making it!

Lyrics:

I bring my world to you
You bring your world to me
(2x)

Cheers,
Jorrith

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2018/04/22 - (2Y) Chrono Cross 'When Two Worlds Collide'
  • 1 month later...
  • Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/04/22 - (3Y) Chrono Cross 'When Two Worlds Collide'
  • 2 months later...

You know, I too am a judge of fewer words than usual. :)

The production feels perfect to me.  Seriously, I can't find anything to fault about instrument placement, the synth timbre selections in Jorito's case or even recording quality on Earth Kid's part.  Even the arrangement is well demonstrated with changing Another Termina into a funk-folk 4/4 shuffle feel, ear-catching bass writing throughout, wonderful countermelodies in the second Termina variation, and a fitting groove carrying it all forward.  The idea of folk and electronic styles just mashing together is an idea that I didn't think we'd deserve! This combination works, it's clean, and it's a powerful highlight from the Chronopolis album.

Seriously, why the hell didn't this get a direct post?!

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/04/22 *YES - TAG* Chrono Cross 'When Two Worlds Meet'