*NO* Chrono Trigger 'The Spiritual Cathedral of Time'

Gario

Hmm... it's short and has a structure that builds off of the repetitive nature of the source, but it does a nice job fleshing out the source and has a nice bit of creativity toward the end once it's done building off of every repetition of the theme. 1:24 really shows that this source has some nice potential to be expanded further, but the artist makes the choice to instead loop the track. The production quality on this is fairly high; one can parse that it's not live because the choir is all "Ah"s, but I'll be honest and say our production bar ain't so high that people need to high a live choir when they want to add a choral portion to the track.

This one tears at me a bit - there's SO MUCH to like about it, but it can't be ignored that this is basically a one minute forty second track with a bit of the beginning tied onto the track in order to pad for length (then fading out rather than ending the track). On the other hand, adding the beginning organ to the end is a great way to bookend the piece, so had this simply ended on that note I would've considered this a neat package, even when it's shy of two minutes.

I acknowledge the issues this one has, but I'm going to swing toward posting this rather than rejecting it. The two minute mark is a guideline, not a rule, anyway, and what's presented here is really a complete package, short as it is.

YES

I was waiting for the structure to change at 1:07, and it did, so props for not getting to repetitive there; you had a good change in the instrumentation, placing the strings as the lead, followed by the dropoff at 1:23 allowing a small bit of original writing before going back to the theme at 1:38 and repeating the choir at 1:46 (sans piano).

IMO, when a piece is so short, it shouldn't repeat sections; for a short 2:13-long piece, having a quarter of it repeat in a cut-and-paste way was too much for me, so unlike Gario, I felt this actually was an incomplete package. At least some sort of further variation from 1:38 until the end would seal this for me, as it's a great arrangement of a short theme, but felt lazy and underdeveloped for the end. Any sort of other creative changes in melody, tone, textures, rhythms, instrumentation for the final 35 seconds would make this an easy pass.

Good work so far, Federico, and good luck with the rest of the vote.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/05/06 - (1Y/1N) Chrono Trigger 'The Spiritual Cathedral of Time'

I have to agree with Larry.  This mix sounds great, but the structure feels more like an extended wip than a finished product.  The arrangement needs more development.  A lead or solo somewhere would break it up and also add some nice variation and personalization.  I'd prefer a real ending to a fadeout.  I like what I hear so far, but I want to hear it more fleshed out with a longer arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2018/05/06 - (1Y/2N) Chrono Trigger 'The Spiritual Cathedral of Time'
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, I concur.  Fully half of it feels like an intro, and about a quarter of it like a breakdown.  And then it ends with a loop back to the intro and fades out.  It would be okay in the context of, say, a remaster, where it's supposed to loop at that point, but as a standalone track it's lacking substance and structure.

NO

• Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

This track is a gorgeous sounding orchestral take - very above the bar for the classical genre.  You've picked out some appropriate instrumentation, accented them and mixed them as if they're in a concert hall while still maintaining clarity.

However, the arrangement is a deal-breaker in this.  It's not easy handling a source that is essentially a 15-second loop, and I commend you for adding more layers onto the source repetitions as it goes on.  But once at 1:40 when it loops back to the beginning, I felt this is an intro for something that's around twice as long - so if you can develop the source in different ways, that can be a good step in the right direction.

Seriously, this sounds beautiful, and you've got a good foundation laid out.  I'd love to see this back in the inbox with some further source development whether by adding to the track or modifying the current framework.  Keep at it.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Chrono Trigger 'The Spiritual Cathedral of Time'
  • Liontamer locked this topic