OCR00181 - Streets of Rage 2 "Badass Posse"

m68030

• 5 months later...

Pretty basic percussion, a good, tough acoustic guitar (patch, I believe), some good piano, and good composition skills - I would expect nothing less out of McVaffe. It has some cool solo's and mixups, and is a pretty good mix, but it's not as masterful as some of McVaffe's other mixes (such as Super Mario 64 'Liquid Mario', Sonic 3 'IceCapped', and Castlevania 4 'CastleTrance'). It fits the title well, though.

EDIT>>> fixed URL tags

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Compared to Gecko's fizzy version this one sorta falls flat. It is not without its charm though! The ranges of sound in this mix are a bit tamer than the outrageous collection of sounds used in Gecko's mix but it all works nicely. I dig the guitar and piano. All in all this is solid MCV work. Hes just on a different level than the rest of us!

• 1 year later...

Badass Posse is right! This is perfect music to listen to while wandering the tough streets, maybe with a burst of impromptu dancing, and snapping your fingers in time.

The synths and acoustic guitars are nicely balanced on their respective left and right turfs, and when the acoustic makes a quick dash into enemy territory, the effect is startling and pretty cool.

The drums are very nice, and the rhythms don't change a lot, but the fills are all very interesting.

The best part is near the end though, with both the panning guitar and drum breakdown, and then comped piano solo.

Awesome work, and highly recommended.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Very warm, very pleasant mix that puts a few ideas of the table but most importantly, performs a really solid tune well.

The panning work was fine with me up until a point. Maybe because I listen exclusively with headphones, but there was something about the panning breakdown that made me question whether it was necessary, or even if it was done tightly enough. It's a strange effect to insert in a bridge between some really lovely piano music and balanced guitar work. For me, it wasn't utilised as well as McVaffe's own Tempest Mix.

Still, the samples have held up remarkably well in this, and McVaffe tunes are always irresistable to listen to whenever the opportunity arises. Awesome, upbeat McVaffe piano conquers all. A breezy one, but a good one.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Nice, man, this is very smooth and cool. Catchy and upbeat as hell, as well. The piano and acoustic guitar rolling around with the glitchy effects that reminds me of some SF3rd Strike stuff is a great combination. I love it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00181 - Streets of Rage 2 "Badass Posse"
  • 4 years later...