Megaman Battle Network Fireman Stage House Remix

What's up!

I made a remix a few years ago. Decided to update it and upload it.

Also made a custom visualizer!! Very proud of that one!!

Though it's completed, I would still like some reviews if that's not a problem for you guys!

Ps: everything I upload will go on youtube, mainly because that's where my channel is, but also because i make my own music visualizers!

Wow, this tune brings back memories. You've got a pretty solid cover here. Nothing really jumps out, but I kinda appreciate the simplicity of it. It may not hurt to try some variation in the melody, even though it's short and sweet at 2 min. To be fair though, it's a fairly repetitive song, which leaves a mixer loads of room to work with. But if you're goal here is to make a cover, you've got a nice one. Well done!

Hey there, welcome to OCR! Nice to see people continue to brave the hidden depths of OCR's WIP boards, muahaha...

You should also be checking out OCR's Discord channel, too - the community has really been active on there, so you could easily get even more feedback on there, too.

I'll state this first and foremost (because OCR has a reputation of being harsh on covers) - you intended to make a cover, so I won't give any criticism on how it sounds too conservative or anything. People write music that they want, so good on y'all - covers are awesome, and you did a solid one here. You're asking for criticism so I'll be focusing on that, but it really is a catchy, well done cover, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

If I had to criticize this track, it would primarily be in the mixing. While the instruments all pop nicely, the leads are buried under all of the texture work and drums. When writing something with a strong theme, it's better to mix it in such a way that it doesn't get drown by the other instruments. It's not terrible right now, but it could stand to have the mixing fine tuned so the theme isn't buried. The drumwork is also fairly stale, as aside from a few fills there's nothing that even changes in them, making them sound like they're just droning. House doesn't need the basic 4-to-the-floor pattern to change much, but even shifting hats and/or playing with where the snare lands for a section or two could make this all that much more interesting.

Sorry if it ain't much, but those are my crits to the track. Breaking my earlier promise (a little bit) I wouldn't submit something like this because of how conservative it is, but I would love to see you send some stuff to the panel someday.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:21 AM, Souperion said:

Wow, this tune brings back memories. You've got a pretty solid cover here. Nothing really jumps out, but I kinda appreciate the simplicity of it. It may not hurt to try some variation in the melody, even though it's short and sweet at 2 min. To be fair though, it's a fairly repetitive song, which leaves a mixer loads of room to work with. But if you're goal here is to make a cover, you've got a nice one. Well done!

Thanks for the comment! Yeah it is kinda repetitive. I will try some more variation in the future.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, Gario said:

Hey there, welcome to OCR! Nice to see people continue to brave the hidden depths of OCR's WIP boards, muahaha...

You should also be checking out OCR's Discord channel, too - the community has really been active on there, so you could easily get even more feedback on there, too.

I'll state this first and foremost (because OCR has a reputation of being harsh on covers) - you intended to make a cover, so I won't give any criticism on how it sounds too conservative or anything. People write music that they want, so good on y'all - covers are awesome, and you did a solid one here. You're asking for criticism so I'll be focusing on that, but it really is a catchy, well done cover, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

If I had to criticize this track, it would primarily be in the mixing. While the instruments all pop nicely, the leads are buried under all of the texture work and drums. When writing something with a strong theme, it's better to mix it in such a way that it doesn't get drown by the other instruments. It's not terrible right now, but it could stand to have the mixing fine tuned so the theme isn't buried. The drumwork is also fairly stale, as aside from a few fills there's nothing that even changes in them, making them sound like they're just droning. House doesn't need the basic 4-to-the-floor pattern to change much, but even shifting hats and/or playing with where the snare lands for a section or two could make this all that much more interesting.

Sorry if it ain't much, but those are my crits to the track. Breaking my earlier promise (a little bit) I wouldn't submit something like this because of how conservative it is, but I would love to see you send some stuff to the panel someday.

Thank you for the comment! Honestly, you hit it right on the nail. Mixing is my biggest weakness so far. I recently mixed a mashup of which I now regret not having put more volume in the lead... do you know of any places on youtube that elaborate on mixing?? I find this incredibly difficult to get into my intuition...

Youtube references? I can't think of any off the top of my head, my apologies. For mixing, I generally go with the rule that if a track is going for a basic song structure (with drums, bass, harmonies/textures, melodies) we need to visualize the music as we would a scene - with a background, middleground and foreground. The theme should be in the foreground of the mix, with the textures popping out less in the middleground, and the bass further in the background. Everything should be clear to the listener, but the themes/melodies should pop out to the "front" of the mix, while the other elements should be further in the middleground or background.

So the theme, while it's still present in your track, is often quiet in comparison to the textures and bass, which sounds strange.

Sorry again that I don't have any sort of Youtube reference, but perhaps an explanation like this can help guide you toward a better mix?