Your userid: 20749

Name of game(s) arranged: Mario Kart 7
Name of arrangement: Rainbow in your Eyes
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Rainbow Road
Link to the original soundtrack:
Remix is attached.

===

Hey OCR,

This is a resub of my mix which was originally sent in back in 2015. 
I'm kind of dedicated to get this on the site and hopefully fixed the issues raised by the judges.

I really don't know what else to say. Just realized I'm probably very poor at giving speeches. 
The source material is all over the place, though! And there's some Mario Kart 64 ending in there. 
Oh fun fact, "Lampje" is Dutch for little lamp. 

Enjoy :)

~ Yannic Geerts aka Lampje4life

I'm really happy to see you fixed this up - there's no comparison in quality in the version you sent before. Virtually all of the ducking is gone, and this sounds so much better for it - I even had to go back to remind myself why we'd have the audacity to send it back in the first place, since it sounds so darn good this time. The rich soundscape, the well balanced arrangement, those meaty drums - the overall heart of the remix is still intact, so nothing was lost in the improvemments, to boot.

I worry sometimes when we send things back that artists might take it the wrong way, but you did exactly what we always hope for - take something with a whole lot of potential and realize that potential in spades. So for that, thank you!

Putting on the judging hat again, I'll bring up a nitpick and say the lead is still buried in the mix, but it's not nearly as big an issue when the overcompression isn't there. So just something to pay attention to next time.

I'm always glad to see music improve this much when we get a resubmit, so thanks for giving it the time it deserved!

YES

Edited by Gario

• Gario pinned this topic

This sounded like it should have been sharper/clearer, not that this was broken in any way. The effects almost made it seem like there was soft crackling/artifacting here as well, but that's just an aside.

I didn't hear the first version, but this was a strong arrangement, so there were no reservations here. Good genre adaptation, and I liked how the rhythms were changed from the original.

Welcome aboard, Yannic! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/06/10 - (3Y) Mario Kart 7 'Rainbow in your Eyes'
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, I like this.  Nice energy and adaptation from the original.  Connections are clear and direction is original.

On the production side, I do wish there was more clarity here.  I didn't hear the original, but once everything kicks in this sounds somewhat cluttered and overcompressed to me.  I think the levels could be brought down a bit more, so the compressor isn't hit so hard, which is causing what sounds like artifacts in the audio.

Overall, I guess I'm not as sold as some of the others on the production, though it alone isn't a deal-breaker.  Regardless, good stuff overall.

YES (borderline)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03892 - *YES* Mario Kart 7 & Mario Kart 64 "Rainbow in Your Eyes"
  • Liontamer unpinned and locked this topic