The Life Death and Rebirth of Radiant Garden For Solo Piano

GSO

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!

On 3/17/2019 at 10:39 PM, GSO said:

added dynamics. still needs compression reverb eq etc. The Life Death and Rebirth of Radiant Garden WIP 3.mp3

If it still needs work (such as "compression reverb eq"), it's not Ready for Review.

You've done this with several of your threads, GSO. Don't mark stuff for review until they are actually ready to be submitted. Staff evaluating your track is supposed to be a final checkup before submitting, not a general call for feedback.

(The automatic message suggests RfR is for any feedback. It's not. We need to change that.)

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that you'd like some more feedback, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and I'll review it again! Good luck!

eval

Still sounds like a midi mockup. Decent piano sound, no problem there, but the performance isn't very convincing. I can hear variation in velocity, but that's mostly between individual melody lines or voices, not within phrases. There's also no timing variance, which is also something used (unavoidably) by actual performers. I don't think there's any use of pedal, either. Additionally, this seems to be a three-handed piece, as best as I can figure. Not a huge problem, but deliberately four-handed (as in for two pianists) or downscaled to two-handed would make more sense. That's far from the biggest concern, though.

Good choice of source, and I think it works quite well as a piano piece. It seems to be quite conservative, but I'm not terribly familiar with the sources and what makes each unique and different. As an adaptation for piano it's a lot more about the performance and the embellishments rather than overall structural transformations. So I can't say whether it's too conservative. Transitions are rather abrupt at times, e.g. at 1:27 and 3:32. Dramatic changes between sections aren't a problem, but it has to flow better than that.

A solo piano track needs a good performance. A more thorough arrangement-focused review could tell you if the arrangement itself is passable after transitions are dealt with, in which case you could ask a pianist on the site to play it. They'd also be able to provide better feedback on the arrangement in regards to it being playable, something that's well beyond what I can say. What I can tell you is that in its current state it won't be posted.

Yeah, I find the stiff performance the biggest problem here. It's something you seem to struggle with, a recurring thing with your wips. I suggest you either work towards improving your performance skills (either actual performance, or faking it by manually humanizing sequenced material), or shift to a genre where the sense of performance comes from sound design more than from the notes themselves, or both. Whatever you do, good luck.

Edited by Rozovian

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You mark it how you want... but I'll give my remarks now that winter break is here and I'm at home with my proper headphones.

Looking back up at Rozovian's review earlier, I have to say, I still hear what he heard way back then.

- There are some weird volume jumps, sometimes rhythmic skips, and sometimes just sharp cutoffs to the starts or the ends of notes (which cut off important transients that actually represent someone placing the finger on the piano key). Some of these are at 0:00, 1:27, 1:31, 3:02, 3:05, 3:10, 3:32, and 3:38 (subtle), to name a few. The one at 3:38 was like a compressor was being applied to the note.

- Some melodic runs also sound too detached (not overlapping enough), such as 2:38 - 2:47 (among others), while also having too-similar, and high, velocities. As a result, those runs still lack realism.

- Something else he maybe didn't point out was that the panning felt a bit odd to me from a first impression. I've never really heard a piano so wide before (it's like I'm sticking my head right above middle C).

If you want to continue with this, you may want to see if you can have some sheet music put together for someone to perform. You seem to have been at this for a long time, as revision(s) have still left more or less the same issues that were spotted about 8 months ago. Hope this pushes you forward in a good direction somehow.

Edited by timaeus222