*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Bug Catching Net"

Gario

Hey OCR,

I am submitting a track called Bug Catching Net off my Zelda Themed beat tape, "Three Hearts". As per your request, below has all info regarding the release. 

Remixer name : Lightfoot
Actualy Name : David
Email Address: 
User ID: 35389

Name of game: Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time
Name of arrangement and song: Great FaIry's Fountain from Ocarina of Time

This remix is of an project of zelda remixs. A link to the past was the first video game I ever played, and the series has stuck with me as one of the most important video game series of my life. I felt like it was only right to release a project dedicated to the amazing world of Zelda.

I hope you enjoy this submission. 

You can stream the full project here: 

I'm pretty sure i covered everything, but happy to provide any other information if needed. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. 

Best
LF

• 1 month later...

This is pretty but really, really conservative.  It seems to consist of:

• The basic Fairy's Fountain harp motif
  • Percussion
  • A simple, repetitive counterpoint
  • Some random sounds and SFX from Link To the Past.

We're looking for ReMixes that are much more transformative than this; we've only passed a couple of mixes that layer additional sounds on top of the original source, and those had a whole lot else going on.

This arrangement is also very static.  After the counterpoint kicks in, everything is basically on autopilot.  The SFX is about the only thing that isn't on a simple loop, and it's just sort of randomly scattered throughout.  The soundscape, textures, and rhythm remain unaltered throughout the vast bulk of the piece.

It's nice but it's not at all the sort of thing we look for.

NO

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't call it a conservative mix, personally.  Technically the source's harp motif is broken down to the basic 2-measure pattern heard here, then repeated throughout the mix with alternating loops transposed down five semitones.  But arrangement-wise, we're undeniably looking for more substance than that.

One idea I have is instead of the random Link to the Past SFX, referencing parts of other Zelda songs in their place would add more substance to the composition.  Another idea is to place that simple harp motif in different scales other than the major keys heard here and place them tastefully throughout the track.  It's a restricted source, but the possibilities are still endless.

Getting a hip hop arrangement onto OCR isn't impossible, but it takes a lot more than a simple repetitive gesture to make it feel engaging.  Thankfully there are plenty of mixposts that fit the genre, so feel free to listen and see if they can offer some new-found inspiration.  Your mixtape is sick though - can see myself chilling to this late at night.  But if you ever make something more substantial, the OCR inbox is wide open.

NO

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/06/27 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Bug Catching Net'

Production-wise, it was a bit lo-fi and lacked high-end but was otherwise reasonably produced; beats were laying it on thick and had strong bass presence.

Agreed with MW and Rexy on the whole. Not a bad instrumental, but it's very very tough to get a piece on OCR that relies so heavily on sampling the original game audio like this does AND stays so repetitive and underdeveloped; it would have to be extremely transformative. Adding on sampled vocal lines could help break up the repetition of the instrumental and create more dynamic contrast.

Read over the Arrangement aspect of the Standards again, David, but if you arranged the theme into a hip hop beat and had more variation to it, that would have a fighting chance. Best example relative to yours would be http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03662.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Bug Catching Net"
  • Liontamer locked this topic