Sonic Mania Mirage Saloon Act 2 (Very Rough)

Yusou

ok I know this is kinda barebones at the moment(no plugin mixing applied yet), but I was hoping for maybe a little guidance (just a little). I love the source, but the loop isn't really that long and I am trying to figure out ways to flesh this out to at least the 3 or 4 minute range without it being too repetitive. Here is the source 

and here is my version, which is a bit faster with a higher octave range

Edited by Yusou

25 minutes ago, Yusou said:

ok I know this is kinda barebones at the moment(no plugin mixing applied yet), but I was hoping for maybe a little guidance (just a little). I love the source, but the loop isn't really that long and I am trying to figure out ways to flesh this out to at least the 3 or 4 minute range without it being too repetitive. Here is the source 

and here is my version, which is a bit faster with a higher octave range

mirage zone yusou demo.wavUnavailable

Link to your version isn't working.

Now it works!

Sounds like you're well on your way already, as you said it's just finding the right sounds and working the arrangement so it's not too repetativep.

A couple of tips regarding the arrangement.

Instrument breaks
A great way to break the monotony is having something like a drum break which gives the ears a short break and then you can go back in to the main melodies and it sounds exciting again. It's like a chorus in a song, everyone wants to sing along to it but if it was only a chorus it would suck. The piano break at 2:10 in the original is a good example of this, it breaks the monotony but you know a thumping beat is just round the corner.

Arrangement.
A lot of VGM loop go in a very liner fashion very much an ABCD progression. Doing something like an ABCADC progression puts the A section in different context each time and gives it a lot life.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...