*NO* Street Fighter 3 'Bronx Bomber'

Gario

• Street Fighter III: New Generation 
  • "Bronx Bomber"
  • Jazzy NYC (Underground Edit)
  • Originally composed by Hideki Okugawa for Street Fighter III: New Generation, released in arcades during February of 1997 for the CPS-III arcade board. 
  • https://youtu.be/zxqRI_bfxgQ
  • I produced this arrangement in GarageBand, and mastered it in Audacity. I performed the guitar segments on my Ibanez Talmon electric-acoustic guitar using an iRig interface. Total production time was about five hours split between two consecutive days. Victor Wooten and Cliff Burton were both influences in my approach to the bass line, which I treated more like a small solo from the 0:18-0:40 mark. The drum rhythm is directly inspired by Joe Daniels' drum performance on the Local H song "Bound for the Floor," while I attempted to emulate the timbre of Janet Weiss' drum performance on the Sleater Kinney song, "Jumpers," specifically her live performance from Big Day Out 2006. The synth melody that appears from 0:18-0:40 is styled after the famous synth progression from Kool and the Gang's "Summer Madness." I also drew quite a bit of inspiration from A Tribe Called Quest's "God Lives Through," specifically from the horn section of the song's sample.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why the melodic lead at both :17 and 1:55 is so quiet, but it's barely audible, plus that and the countermelody are pretty rigid/stilted with their timing.

There's a lot of freestyling going on from 40.5-1:11 at a steady pace, following by comping over the backing writing of the source until 1:38 brings back the source tune's build via strings and later guitar. These sections were good overall, but there's a flatness to the synth timing/programming that drags the piece down and doesn't contrast well with the more organic-sounding parts.

In terms of the dynamics, the percussion patterns felt too repetitive and also dragged this piece down, which is surprising given that it's only 2:28-long. On the plus side, the bass writing, while subtle, was well done throughout.

Weird fadeout at 2:19, which dropped precipitously right at the start of the bar and sounded like a mistake as a result; that should be tweaked for a more gradual fade.

To summarize, place the synth handling the melody more prominently, and add more dynamic contrast to the piece. You don't need to increase the tempo, and I want to be clear that I'm not implying this is being dinged for slowing the theme down, but the way this is presented here ultimately is plodding; some different/varied snares or changing other backing parts may help, but something needs to be tweaked with the writing or parts to keep this engaging throughout.

I've enjoyed your work for years on YouTube, so don't be discouraged here if this doesn't make it as is. We'll see what other judges say, but this can certainly be refined into something to make the front page. It's a very solid base here.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *DON'T MOVE* - 2018/07/14 - (1N) Street Fighter 3 'Bronx Bomber'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

Great points by Larry above.  Off the bat, the mix is sounded a bit cluttered and over-compressed, especially when it has loud leads/backing elements + kick/snare hitting at the same time.  Specifically, listen to the snare in places like :12 - :18, :32, :39, :45-:47, etc..  Because the compressor is getting hit too hard, it's smashing the snare sound and making it sound slappy/hollow.  It's hard to put into words, but try to listen to how it changes tone depending on how much is going on in the mix.  Rebalancing the mix overall, perhaps dropping some of the supporting elements, or carving out some EQ space for everything to sit better together should help.

I don't really have a problem with the lower tempo, but I can agree that the piece felt plodding at times.  The backing rhythm patterns are well written, with drums fills to transition sections, but I think it needs to be varied more within the sections so you don't get the near-constant 2/4 snare, kick pattern, and off-beat hats for the whole track.

I think the sound choices were pretty solid here.  I liked the bass writing, though I honestly didn't notice it until I read the write-up and was listening for it.  The other elements really command more listener attention at their levels.  Guitar performance was solid.  Sax sounded cool as well.

I'm almost never a fan of fadeout endings, and this isn't really an exception.  I do think I see what you're going for, though, almost as if this track could appear in a Street Fighter game and it's presented in a way that a looping OST would be.

Overall it's a very solid start and I could get on board with some production tweaks and some variation mentioned above.

NO resubmit, please

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Street Fighter 3 'Bronx Bomber'
  • Liontamer locked this topic