Remixer Name: Mizztery
Email Address: 
User ID: 30273

Submission Information
Game Arranged: Dynamite Headdy
Name of Arrangement: Tempus Fugit
Name of Song Arranged: Sky High

Link to Arrangement:

Dynamite Headdy was a brilliant game from the Sega Genesis. My brother and I used to play it all the time back in the day. There's plenty of guys that have done brilliant covers of this song (GaMetal for example), but I felt like giving it a run myself, as something short and sweet. Enjoy!

Edited by Rexy

• 1 month later...

Interesting take, changing the dark industrial synths into upbeat garage rock.

However, emphasis on "garage" there.  Production on this seems... almost nonexistent.  I don't hear anything that sounds like EQ or compression.  As a result, everything sounds indistinct and quiet.

Also, the arrangement gives me pause.  The first half sounds like a straight cover to me.  The second half sounds almost entirely original.  It goes with the first half well enough, so it doesn't sound like a medley or anything, but it gives me the impression that you played through the source once, and then just padded out the rest with random jamming.  Which isn't the worst thing, one does hear that approach a lot, but it doesn't feel well thought-out.

Also, the ending cuts off the tail of the reverb.

I'd be happier if some of the original content was in the first half, or if there was more of a callback to the source material in the second half, even just to bookend it, but the main reservation I have is with the production.  Clean that up so that every instrument sounds loud and clear and I think this is probably okay, or close to it.

NO

• 2 months later...

Amazing source tune choice, but you're setting yourself up for failure with a low-quality encoding (160kbps) and muddy mixing. Off sound quality alone, this is already a dealbreaker despite having a solid performance. Drums are too loud, and everything has no sharpness. Cymbal shots starting from 2:25-2:45 sound out much louder than anything else for no real reason. Snare drum tone doesn't fit at all and sounds weak compared to the guitar. Damn, Brad, it's a shame the recording quality and mixing isn't clean or properly separated.

Arrangement-wise, I agree with MindWanderer; sounds like a straightforward rock cover to start, albeit reasonably arranged for guitar, then just original comping/soloing from 1:44-on. For a few moments, you used the patterns from the source tune in the back, but it was always for a few quick seconds, then those references stopped, so over half of this wasn't really related to the "Sky High" theme. Incorporate that theme some more.

Yeah, good stuff in a vacuum and well-performed, just very poorly mixed. Not sure what the master recordings sound like, but if they're as muddy/lossy-sounding as what's shown in this version, you're better off re-recording. Agreed with MindWanderer in that your mixing crippled this, and you need to meaningfully reference the source tune within some part of the second half. Even if you don't revisit this one, you clearly have the skills to get posted here, but you need to take a lot more care on the production side.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/07/26 - (2N) Dynamite Headdy 'Tempus Fugit'

I have to agree with you - this boss theme is incredible. :)

But yeah, I too noted the messy mixdown right away.  The frequencies of the rhythm guitar are clashing heavily with those of the bass and lead guitar, the cymbals are way too over-compressed, and the instruments as a whole has no sibilance at all. Let's assume your master recordings aren't as lossy as the MP3 you sent; if so, the next main focus is learning how to EQ your instrumentation at an improved level.  There are all sorts of reference charts available to learn from, so see if they can help you.

The arrangement itself felt interesting enough with taking the source material in a much darker direction, and despite all the noodling past 1:42, there's still a sturdy 54% source coverage here.  The more ominous chords and melody has a liberal feel  - which isn't bad - but the original material post-1:42 has no throwbacks to either the source or other Headdy BGM.  In that situation, it would be ideal to hear more references to the BGM even after hearing the main variation.

Your performance skills are hot, though, and I hope to see them on the front page someday.  As of right now, the production and lack thereof broke the deal with the second half's treatment being more of a smaller irk.  I hope my note of reference can help you out with your mixdowns - it'll be incredible to go over something with a much cleaner presentation than this.

NO (resubmit)

• Rexy changed the title to *NO* Dynamite Headdy 'Tempus Fugit'
  • Liontamer locked this topic