OCR00182 - Phantasy Star II "Burnt Mota"

m68030

• 2 months later...

djpretzel is one of my favorite remixers, not just because he is the one creating this wonderful website, but he also has very good taste in music. This track has a very nice synth going all over the place and and a really good drum track that pushes through the song. The melodie can be clearly heard, and he doesn't forget the awsome technik beats that spices things up. I enjoyed listning to this one even after looping 8 times. I luv this peice and It's definatly one of djpretzels, greatest works yet! :D

• 9 months later...

I've listened to this at least 5 times before, but now I've decided to say something. This is by far one of the best ReMixes on the site, and one of my favorites. The beat carries you away and almost gets your foot bouncing within the first few seconds.

• 5 months later...

"burntmota" and "mamabrain" are two of my favorite pieces on this site. It really doesnt have anything to do with the music itself so much as the fact that these two pieces introduced me to Overclocked Remix. I've only recently joined the forums, but i've lurked this site for a year or more now and these two songs are the cause for it :wink: as always good stuff, and if your a fan of phantasy star this song is worth a listen.....or 2.........or 3

• 11 months later...

The beginning of this song really got me listening for some reason. I wasn't dissapointed with the rest of the song either. This is one nice song, It's long and stays interesting through out the whole song. Another excellent piece djp!

But the solo-ing which starts around 2:24 really needs to be louder 'cause I love you're improvisation!

• 8 months later...

Damn, another one I never paid enough attention to from the Phantasy Star series. Back when I first listened to all of the OC ReMixes in 2002, stuff from unfamiliar soundtracks had a more difficult time retaining my attention. I was actually just looking to check what source tune this had, and I was surprised this had the same one as Quinn Fox's "Mamabrain" mix.

The stuff from 3:18-4:13 was swanky as hell. Stylish shit all around, much like Dave's Socket mix, and this one's at 6:03 no less, which is decidedly not pop-length. Don't let this quality stuff fall under your radar like it did on mine.

Really looking forward to Dave tackling an obscure game remix in the future, since PS2 isn't quite there and "Trip the Light Fantastic" was a while back. "Burnt Mota" though, wow, nice work. Great way for me to celebrate 3 years on the boards here. It's been a great time here.

• 5 months later...

Been going through all of my video game music and retagging it (can you imagine?). I remembered that this was intially released as a .WMA and came back here to give it a new download 'cause I remember that djp went back and changed it to a .MP3 'cause there was no reason for a .WMA.

Still gotta say this is one of my favs from djp. Like the length and it just catches me from the start. Good times.

• 5 weeks later...

Whoa...this one is awesome. Has a whole arsenal of instruments, which may not be a surprise, since it's 6 minutes long, and yet it does not get fairly repetitive. The bells that begins this piece is a nice start, but the remix caught me off guard when it suddenly changed into a raving partymix. It still have some magic left in it though, the synths and the bells that's still playing helps this track to keep the mystery inside it. Although the remix makes you wanna stand up and dance, it's also have the mystique worthy a remix of Phantasy Star. A fine piece of arrangement djpretzel, just keep'em coming!

• 9 months later...

I just started listening to the bass of this piece. I never have before, and I've always liked this song since many years ago even! Funkyyyy. I also listened more to things I never did before. This one part where everything dies out, before the first synth rave climax part near the beginning, sounded really weird, but other than that, quite a nice listen, once again. The original (title screen music) is very subdued, which makes this mix really shine once you know what the original sounds like.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is in my regular playlists. Starts off with thick, rich sounds and never lets down. The normally overdone kick/hi-hat beat actually sounds unique in this song. Love the rich percussions, fat synths and wide textures. Organ solo is a perfect downbeat.

I adore this song. It's not just one of my favorite remixes, but one of my favorite songs ever.

• 9 months later...

I'm a huge fan of the bell sound that opens this up. LOVE IT.

The synths that come in a little later are a bit jarring at first, but as I listen to the track a few times, it begins to make more sense to me. Arrangement is very nice, and there is a strong development throughout, which is crucial for something of this length. DJP has a ton of mixes up on the site, some are good, and some are bad, but this one is one of the best.

Recommended.

• 1 month later...

Yes, this is a great one. The sound has warmthness to it, it feels kind of encompassing to listen to it on headphones (I hope you catch what I mean). I find it faithful to the way the 16-bit Sega sounds, while the sound itself is very much "updated." It sounds perfectly Phantasy Star. Also the track has an amazing drive to it, while still sounding, in a way, laid back. Organ improv in the more quiet middle part is very nice! And no cruft in the whole 6:03.

--Eino

• 1 year later...

I agree with everyone that those bell samples are quite nice to listen to. Overall I'm enjoying listening to this mix. I know nothing of the source, so as a blind listen I'm enjoying the textures and melodies overall. A few little things that bugged me are the buzzing up and down synth which gets very noticeable during the breakdown section, especially since the melody is so quiet. The transition back to the A section at 4:14 or so was kind of awkward as well. Really this stuff is minor, and there are lots more good things to make up for it.

Overall, for it's age this is a cool mix that I enjoyed a lot.

• 1 month later...

I loved this song when I first heard it years ago and I still do. Like djp I have a lot of fondness for the Genesis Phantasy Star games, and the title theme from PS2 was a great track. Although the instruments and synths in this song sound a lot better than those on the Genesis, I still think this track perfectly captures the feel of the Genesis - I can see the scrolling world map of Mota from the PS2 intro in my mind's eye when I listen to this song.

• 6 years later...

Love the bells and the beautiful yet mysterious vibe they give behind the energetic tech beat. I very much loved the softer more relaxed section midway into the mix and it's eventual climb back from there. At some points in the background, it reminded me of a Bejeweled track in the way the melody flowed and presented an aura of wonder while the beat kept things excited. A fairly long mix, but one that doesn't disappoint or gets stale, this is terrific.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00182 - Phantasy Star II "Burnt Mota"