*NO* Super Mario Bros. 2 "Overworld Theme (Big Jazz Band)"

Gario

Note: If passed, this will need to have a new title.

- Gario

Contact information

Submission Information:
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Name of arrangement: Overworld Theme (Big Jazz Band)
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Overworld Theme
  • Original Composer:  Koji Kondo
  • Console: NES
  • Link to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBISfv-6hfo
  • Inspiration: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, and Super Smash Bros. 

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Overall, the arrangement itself is competent, if too short (1:30 is a really short arrangement). The instrument quality and mixing does take this below our bar, though - the "big band" aspect has instruments that sound hollow and mechanical, with the reverb levels not really helping it sound more "real". The fact that the arrangement sans the piano portion sounds like an upgrade of the source also leave it sounding a bit on the conservative side, to boot.

That piano solo, though... man, it's actually quite the diamond in the rough, there. It's got some real spice, it's well sequenced (if it ain't actually performed), it has a real "Joplin" flair to it that give is a whole lot of character, and honestly I think a whole Mario 2 arrangement could be based on that portion alone and easily be postable on OCR (it'd need to be longer, granted).

So yeah, honestly the big band sounds more like a vehicle for the honky-tonk piano part, which isn't exactly an insult since that piano part is quite good. I would suggest sticking to one's strengths on this; if you decide to pursue this one, really go all out with that piano. Otherwise, listen to some of the other orchestrated tracks on OCR to gauge what is considered acceptable, as far as "realism" goes, as unfortunately there's a lot of uncanny valley going on with the big band elements of this.

NO

This is a little too straightforward of an arrangement. Very short as well.  All of the horn section sounds very mechanical and honestly those samples aren't doing you any favors. The piano solo is great though. I hate to compare but OC ReMix honestly already has a live big band version of this song that we posted 17 years ago that brings a lot more to the table in terms of arrangement and production quality. This needs a lot of work. Greg's right in that the piano here is a HUGE strength. Focus in on that.

NO

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2018/08/21 - (2N) Super Mario Bros. 2 'Overworld Theme (Big Jazz Band)'

Whoa. Jesus, is this bright. Not sure what happened here, but way too bright, and, during the denser parts, the brass just ends up practically burying some of the supporting writing, e.g. the piano accents at :31. Keep the other Js production advice in mind going forward.

I like the part-writing being expanded in some aspects here, Bryce, as well as the comping from :50-1:09, but it was too brief within what's just a straightforward cover.

DarkeSword's point about Estradasphere's version of this same theme on OCR is a valid point that I hadn't thought of, but the comparison is definitely illuminating; this theme's been tackled in a much more developed, expansive, and interpretive way; that track's quality remains far above where our acceptance bar is, but it DOES demonstrate -- in conjunction with our current quality bar -- that you do need to bring more creativity and personalization to the table.

At only 91 seconds, this would need a LOT more interpretation to pass our arrangement standards as a fully developed concept, and that's difficult to do with a sub-2 minute piece that includes repetition.

NO