Sega Genesis Mini

Pipez

Good News everyone!  Looks like Sega has decided to go with M2, so emulation won't likely be a problem  with this one.  Also, it will use the 3 button layout, unless you go with the Japanese version.  So far only 10 out of 40 games have been revealed, which includes:

• Altered Beast
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Comix Zone
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Shining Force
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Space Harrier II
  • ToeJam & Earl

https://iearths.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-sega-genesis-mini-comes-home-this.html

Edited by Pipez

Thrilled that they finally ditched AtGames. This is going to be the mini console sega fans have wanted for ages.  

Never mind that even though i've bought these exact same games repeatedly for every console generation since the days the Genesis AND steam....

...life continues to be awesome.  Gonna buy 20 of 'em. :)

Gunstar Heroes was such a hyped game back in the day.  I guess it hasn't aged that well since I rarely hear any praise for that game anymore.

Overall, I am pretty excited about this, though.  I've played through NES and SNES games a lot in recent years thanks to emulation and/or Nintendo eShop, so those minis didn't really do it for me, but playing Genesis games on that big boomerang controller again would be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, DarkeSword said:

For stuff like NES, SNES, and PSX mini, I pretty much passed. But this seems like it's right up my alley. Wily Wars is huge.

I love my SNES Mini but Sega is showing them up in a big way with just the game count. I was never a Sega kid but this is awfully tempting.

The only game missing that I think of as a quintessential Genesis game is Spider-Man Vs. the Kingpin, but with all of the licensing hoops likely required to get it on the mini, I'm not surprised it's absent.  The rest of the lineup looks incredible, though.

3 hours ago, orlouge82 said:

The only game missing that I think of as a quintessential Genesis game is Spider-Man Vs. the Kingpin, but with all of the licensing hoops likely required to get it on the mini, I'm not surprised it's absent.  The rest of the lineup looks incredible, though.

Shoot, you're right - I totally forgot about that one, but that game was fun as hell.

I'm personally hoping they manage to put Contra Hardcorp and Golden Axe 2 on there - those miiiiight actually tip me toward a purchase, if they go there.

Edited by Gario

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Pipez said:

I've played 20 minutes of Virtua Fighter 2 for the Genesis and that's all anyone would ever need to play...  No idea why this game makes it into nearly every single collection. 

Excited as all hell for Road Rash being a part of this collection.  There was a time when EA was putting out damn good games if anyone remembers back that far. :/ If you haven't yet check out Sega Head's videos on YT.  He's an up and comer but puts out good stuff.   

6 hours ago, LoudMog said:

I didn't know that, what are the licensing issues?

Michael Jackson's music.  

It was a conspiracy for years that MJ and his sound team did the music for the game but Sega didn't acknowledge it until, relatively, recently due to... certain allegations. A few years ago when the then unreleased Hard Times by The Jetzons, which MJ keyboardist Brad Buxer was a member of, made it to Youtube and ended up being nearly note for note the same as Ice Cap Zone's theme despite being recorded in 1981 it pretty much sealed it.  

• 1 month later...