EvE Online

ellywu2

Just going to toss my 2 cents in.

Been playing EVE for over a year now and love it. It really is a great game that gives you a ton of freedom. That's also one of the problems with it. It's almost too big. The 2-week trial is nowhere near long enough to let you get a feel for what's actually going on in the galaxy although it does allow you to get a feel for the interface, controls, and basic combat. But since the majority of the content in EVE is player-created (territory conflicts, industrial sabotage,assasination attempts, etc.), it's really kept screened off from the majority of players in the high-sec areas. But high sec is exactly where you'll be for the first 2 months or so due to your skills and experience.

If you're willing to stick with it long enough to join a player corp, it'll be more than worth it. The game is beautifully complex and constantly interesting once you have found your role. They have done an amazing job of creating a living breathing galaxy and you are constantly reminded of how large it is and how small you are. The individual is both expendable and invaluable in the grand scheme of things and finding your place in that balance can be quite satisfying. I highly recommend everyone try the game and stick with it for at least a month. If you like complexity, sci-fi, not being limited by classes, and non-consensual PvP, then EVE is definitely for you.

As for grinding, the quest for money can be a grind if you allow it to become one. But if you find yourself getting bored trying to make ISK, then look for other ways to do it. There are so many ways to make money in the game that it shouldnt be a problem. Additionally, the more skilled you become, the easier it will be to get what you need without putting as much time into it. I've played (and enjoyed) my share of grinders online and EVE certainly doesn't fall into that category.

What are the hardware requirements for the game? Like graphics card, hard drive space required, processor speed, etc. I can't find that information anywhere.

http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g23.asp

Short reqs:

Minimal hardware:

• CPU: PIII - 450 MHZ or higher.

• RAM Memory: 128MB (256MB for 2000/XP).

• Hard Drive Capacity: 1 GB.

• Connection: 56k modem or faster.

Operating System:

• Windows 2000.

• Millennium, WinXP.

• Please note that Windows 95, 98 and NT are not supported.

• DirectX 9.0 or later.

Video cards:

• GeForce 2 or better.

• ATI Radeon 7200 or better.

• Matrox Parhelia.

• Minimum screen resolution for EVE is 1024x768.

Wouldnt hurt to check recent patch notes though as they recently re-did virtually all of the code in the game. One of the changes was that Windows ME and (iirc) 2000 are no longer supported.

*snip*

Wouldnt hurt to check recent patch notes though as they recently re-did virtually all of the code in the game. One of the changes was that Windows ME and (iirc) 2000 are no longer supported.

Figures... The one place I hadn't gotten to yet. :roll: I've been going through that guide, but I haven't gotten down that far... and I didn't see that section. Quite frankly, I would've expected it to be listed under the Installation section, but oh well.

Thanks a bunch. :)

As long as the requirements don't shoot up too much, I should be fine. My laptop is a Pentium M 2.0GHz, and I think my GeForce Go 6800 will be sufficient...

My only complaint about it is that it is quite a crawl to grow, while the fee to play is more expensive than I've seen elsewhere. Asks so much time to get into it, while costing a pretty penny for each month of that time. Lots of good things about it though, I love the graphics and the sound, and the one server only business. I didn't try battle as much as I wanted, but I could see myself wanting the option to have more manual controls. I'd enjoy being able to control a little speedy thing flying so close to a big ship that their guns can't aim for it.

My only complaint about it is that it is quite a crawl to grow, while the fee to play is more expensive than I've seen elsewhere. Asks so much time to get into it, while costing a pretty penny for each month of that time. Lots of good things about it though, I love the graphics and the sound, and the one server only business. I didn't try battle as much as I wanted, but I could see myself wanting the option to have more manual controls. I'd enjoy being able to control a little speedy thing flying so close to a big ship that their guns can't aim for it.
The fee isn't that much. If I recall it was 13.99 or 14.99 a month, like WoW.

The fee isn't that much. If I recall it was 13.99 or 14.99 a month, like WoW.

it's a little more expensive then WoW and the other MMos

I didn't try battle as much as I wanted, but I could see myself wanting the option to have more manual controls.

A lot of people think this when they first start the game and have memories of XvT still fresh in their minds. When you're flying frigate-sized craft it almost seems like it would make sense to implement...until you realize that for anything Battlecruiser and larger it'd be absolutely ridiculous. Combat in EVE is more naval-style than some other space combat games. When your ship only moves at 100 m/s or so, you're going to be more worried about gun range and damage control then you will about doing barrel rolls. :wink:

• 4 months later...

To my understanding, one of the major flaws of EVE Online is the traveling from one place to another. Some trips lasting 15, 30 or even an hour depending where you want to go via ship. From other places there's a joke where one can try beating the world record speedrun of Megaman 2 while "traveling" on EVE Online and still have some time to take a shower...

Confirm/deny..?

I was thinking of playing, but I would only start up if I had people to hang out with that were already playing or planning on playing. An OCRemix Corp. would definately get me to start playing.

Cool, if we can get five+ players going on this board, I'll be happy to work up the cash to get a Corp off the ground.

GO FORTH AND RECRUIT, MINIONS!

Yeah, that's what did it for me. When I spent a full hour making a sequence of system jumps to avoid areas where podkilling occurred (because I'm a level 1 or whatever they call it in that game) I realized it was gonna be really boring. But it was PRETTY, I'll give it that.