EvE Online

ellywu2

Don't avoid the podkill areas, it's usually not worth the travel time.

But yeah, EVE is incredibly boring...if you play by yourself. That's why it's a massively MULTIPLAYER game. Unfortunately, that's exactly what a lot of newbies on trial accounts end up doing...running agent missions the whole time, or holing themselves up in a corner mining velspar. But you only start to really experience the game once you join (or form) a corp and start getting into inter/intra-corp business, economics, politics, and (of course) drama. That, or you become a pirate because you enjoy killing other players and taking their loot.

Cool, if we can get five+ players going on this board, I'll be happy to work up the cash to get a Corp off the ground.

GO FORTH AND RECRUIT, MINIONS!

Well, I just signed up for an account and I'll be installing it when I get back from work. Lemme know how the recruiting is going.

If it's boring you're doing it wrong.

As much as I love you, spleen, I have to disagree with you here. EVE was a big letdown for me. I invested over 12 hours into it before I realized I was having no fun. This is a real big problem for MMO games - achievement over fun. They are so caught up in rewarding players who spend lots on time that they forgot the main job of games is to be fun. Instead of enjoying shooting up people with lasers in space, you end up focusing on how to get a bigger number next to you name, a prettier-looking avatar, etc. [/rant]

Anyway, EVE did have some high points, including it being beautiful. But then again, staring at anything for three hours as I use autopilot gets old, no matter how pretty.

As much as I love you, spleen, I have to disagree with you here. EVE was a big letdown for me. I invested over 12 hours into it before I realized I was having no fun. This is a real big problem for MMO games - achievement over fun. They are so caught up in rewarding players who spend lots on time that they forgot the main job of games is to be fun. Instead of enjoying shooting up people with lasers in space, you end up focusing on how to get a bigger number next to you name, a prettier-looking avatar, etc. [/rant]

Anyway, EVE did have some high points, including it being beautiful. But then again, staring at anything for three hours as I use autopilot gets old, no matter how pretty.

Did you get involved in the social aspect of it, or did you sit in a corner and Mine Tritanium?

If it's boring you're doing it wrong.

Also, 12 hours isn't enough to do...anything, really. You don't know joy until you undock in a shiny new cruiser for the first time.

Another reason to give the game another try is that they've recently given newbies a huge SP boost...I think it's actually possible to start out with Cruisers Level 1 in certain configurations.

Well, It seems like there's a little interest here. I'll go ahead and set up an OCR Corp tonight when I get home. I'm think about HQing it in a fairly safe system for now, probably Perimeter, because we'll probably have a few people who are just starting. And does a 5% Corp Tax sound reasonable? I'm open to any suggestions. Does anyone know if we have to sacrifice a virgin to DJP or something to use the OCR name, or can I just go ahead with it?

Also, 12 hours isn't enough to do...anything, really. You don't know joy until you undock in a shiny new cruiser for the first time.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. That's not "fun", that's seeing some extra fancy polygons in your "possession" because you've spent more tens of hours in front of the game instead of some new guy. That doesn't make a fun game. It's a little rewarding, but games are supposed to be entertaining. That said...

Another reason to give the game another try is that they've recently given newbies a huge SP boost...I think it's actually possible to start out with Cruisers Level 1 in certain configurations.

Really? Hm... might be worth looking into anyway.

Nah, what am I, crazy?

So you're saying there's not enough action? Because that's not the same thing as fun.

And contrary to what you might think, EVE isn't just about getting better ships, although it's usually necessary to do so in order to get where you want, and they're often rewards in themselves. Like I said, it's a massively multiplayer game, and like other MMORPGs, unless you get into the community aspects such as the market and player corps, you'll just be left with a boring grindfest.

So you're saying there's not enough action? Because that's not the same thing as fun.

And contrary to what you might think, EVE isn't just about getting better ships, although it's usually necessary to do so in order to get where you want, and they're often rewards in themselves. Like I said, it's a massively multiplayer game, and like other MMORPGs, unless you get into the community aspects such as the market and player corps, you'll just be left with a boring grindfest.

Yeah, that might be true in some sense - but basically, I see that single-player games can be an absolute blast with no other human interaction, and wonder why that can't be the same situation in an MMOG. Wouldn't the best game be the one that's fun to play even by yourself, and only gets more entertaining with more people? Maybe I'm missing something here. But I'm getting off into MMORPG bashing, so I'll leave it there for now.

Specifically to EVE, I thought travel took too long and was boring, starting players had a steep time investment to get any return (even for an MMORPG), and the famous Great Scam stuff that can scare off new players easily. But the biggest thing I can't get over about EVE is that a single death, even, and especially, in late-game, can basically undo all the time you've spent in-game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the idea I got as a new player and reading some of the material out there about EVE.

Specifically to EVE, I thought travel took too long and was boring, starting players had a steep time investment to get any return (even for an MMORPG), and the famous Great Scam stuff that can scare off new players easily. But the biggest thing I can't get over about EVE is that a single death, even, and especially, in late-game, can basically undo all the time you've spent in-game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the idea I got as a new player and reading some of the material out there about EVE.

The famous scams are what actually got me interested in the first place. The fact that someone can execute something like that just shows how open ended the game is, and the fact that you can lose so much definately makes it intense, sorta like Hardcore mode on Diablo.

Sorry but i already belong to one heck of a corp wolfpack delta. Good luck out there. And dont get tangled up with BoB or its slave alliances. The in game power structure is in real flux right now. The system used is massively different than typical MMO's it is very friendly to those who play a lot or those who can play only a bit. The market is one of the craziest i have ever seen and one of both the simplest and most complex at the same time. It is pure hardcore capitalism at work at its finest allowing for just about anything to occur and usually does. The gentlemans rules of MMO's apply in most sectors but once you get out into the wild area's its kill or be killed welcome to the wild wild west. I picked this game up towards the beginning of the year i cant get enough of it. I can play it when i have time plan my skill training around my RL work schedule and everything else along with it.

As for travel. Eve is over 4000 independent and alive systems and counting. (not entirely sure about that number but i think its right) Completely interactive missionable and exploreable systems. While it lacks a ground based traditional MMO aspect the sheer scope earns it the title it loves so much. The largest interactive online world. Getting from point A to point B cant be done instantly because of this. But that in itself is a good thing. Being able to explore, planning your time in area's. Granted travel can be boring but in empire as long as you arent at war you can just auto pilot. And trust me once you get out into low sec and beyond you are going to be on the edge of your seat from the first jump to the last. As for multi tasking you will do this on an hourly basis in eve in a corporation between alliance's your own corp chat the local chats. Trust me Travel is long but it wont be boring once you really get going.

As for the 'single death ruining you' thing. If that happens you are an idiot. You have many ways of saving your skill points the easiest way is updating your clones they are cheap and effective to do as long as your base station has a medical bay. Granted if you really screw the pooch you could be setback years but by that point you know what you are doing and you dont get into that position. You have to be willing to first complete the entire tutorial trust me on this it explains a lot and helps get you some isk in your pocket.

A word of warning. In many area's it is kill or be killed even in high sec you do have concord and the respective empire military backing you up but death is still a real possibility. EVE is a full blown pvp game with a lot of other elements mixed in. But make no mistake this game is PVP first no matter what form it takes. Undercutting a competitor in a market fight blowing up someone to take over their asteroid belt for mining or flat out going to war with those who dare to enter your territory. You will be competing constantly against other players and they will be competing against you. Welcome to EVE. If you want help getting started please ask me for hints and i will help as best i can.

As for the CEO of whoever is running the OCR corp be serious about running it or find someone who will. Corps in this game are serious things and while there are a lot of them its not like the D2 thing where you can just be. A lot of skills are required to run a corp effectively in high low and zero sec. If you arent willing to commit to those skills you will just be hurting your corp.

I leave you with this.

Ammar: active shield tankers + lasers

Caldari: Passive shield tankers + missiles (yes missiles)

Minmitar: duct tape tankers + artillery (not kidding on the duct tape)

Gallente: Railguns or blasters + active armor tanking

If ya want more info Ya know who to talk to :)

I refer to the fact that while they are able to use just about anything with that comes the reputation their ships are cobbled together pieces of junk typically held by spit and bailing wire. (the RP verison of things ;) ) Min have good cruisers but after BC they lack on the high end battleships and cap ships.

Sorry but i already belong to one heck of a corp wolfpack delta. Good luck out there. And dont get tangled up with BoB or its slave alliances. The in game power structure is in real flux right now.

I'm part of the power flux ;) Goonfleet all the way baby, yes I am a Goon and yes...I still fly a T1 frigate from time to time.

Eve is a great game just because you get the same training benefits from a hardcore gamer as if you were a casual one. The only difference is that more hardcore players will have more money and maybe better equipment. The real equalizer is time spent subscribed to the game, and THAT is where the game shines in my opinion. Instead of rewarding people for playing 16 hours a day, it rewards those who can't devote that much time (you set a skill to train and it trains in realtime, even when you're logged out so its great in that regard).

I've gotta say...EVE is my first MMO that I've ever really liked. Asheron's Call was great but there was grinding and I wasn't into that, and since EVE isn't as much of a grind (from my perspective anyway) it makes it a lot more enjoyable to play :)

PS. For the Swarm.

• 3 weeks later...