Ride The Rainbow Warp Star

Preparing my piece for resubmission, would really like to get some critical review before I do that, however.

My main concerns are overall balance, reverb use, transitions and blending. Also, any ideas for a good ending would be appreciated! (I don't want to leave it how it ends but I'm having trouble coming up with a believable end).

If you detect anything else of concern, please don't hesitate to make it known!

All your help is appreciated :)

Edited by Stunning Cactus

Hmmm.  Maybe the space between the bass and the mid range (I dunno the exact hz) is a bit crowded - *tip* if you're using FL Studio...do NOT use Fruity EQ 2 - it completely distorts the lower ends and has frustrated me for years on end - ditch that shit and either use the Mixer itself or grab Voxenglove or something decent.  Maybe a different crash sample, something "lighter" can't really describe it.  It seems to be clipping a lot, probably due to shitty recording quality on the creator's end, not your fault there.  I LOVE good breakdowns, like at 1:20~ area that is solid shit.  Love the basswork.  The strings are OK.  Dunno if that's OCR bar passing or not.  What sample libraries are you using? 

Edited by HoboKa

On 4/13/2019 at 12:06 AM, HoboKa said:

Hmmm.  Maybe the space between the bass and the mid range (I dunno the exact hz) is a bit crowded - *tip* if you're using FL Studio...do NOT use Fruity EQ 2 - it completely distorts the lower ends and has frustrated me for years on end - ditch that shit and either use the Mixer itself or grab Voxenglove or something decent.  Maybe a different crash sample, something "lighter" can't really describe it.  It seems to be clipping a lot, probably due to shitty recording quality on the creator's end, not your fault there.  I LOVE good breakdowns, like at 1:20~ area that is solid shit.  Love the basswork.  The strings are OK.  Dunno if that's OCR bar passing or not.  What sample libraries are you using? 

You've got great ears, my friend. I am indeed using FL Studio and using Fruity Parametric EQ 2 in order to boost the bass and *probably* the drum kit, would have to check on that one. I will remove those and use something else, thank you for that tip! I had no idea why I was getting so much mud!

Do you think if I reduced the velocities on the cymbals it would be better? Or just a different crash altogether? What do you feel about the rest of the kit? Should I find a lighter kit?

Here's a sample library breakdown. Most of it is EastWest libraries.

Drums - Addictive Drums 2

Strings - EastWest Hollywood Solo Strings and Symphonic Orchestra strings

Bass Guitar - Steven Wilson's Ghostwriter (also from EastWest)

Synth - Xpand!2

Piano - EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Platinum (Steinway Grand)

Edited by Stunning Cactus

16 hours ago, Stunning Cactus said:

You've got great ears, my friend. I am indeed using FL Studio and using Fruity Parametric EQ 2 in order to boost the bass and *probably* the drum kit, would have to check on that one. I will remove those and use something else, thank you for that tip! I had no idea why I was getting so much mud!

Do you think if I reduced the velocities on the cymbals it would be better? Or just a different crash altogether? What do you feel about the rest of the kit? Should I find a lighter kit?

Here's a sample library breakdown. Most of it is EastWest libraries.

Drums - Addictive Drums 2

Strings - EastWest Hollywood Solo Strings and Symphonic Orchestra strings

Bass Guitar - Steven Wilson's Ghostwriter (also from EastWest)

Synth - Xpand!2

Piano - EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Platinum (Steinway Grand)

Nice.  I see E/W is offering a monthly subscription for their stuff.  I am mighty tempted. 

Sample library sounds solid actually.  I'd still probably use a different crash sample.  But if it's over-compressed, that's an issue.

Whenever I deal with over-compression or loudness, I take ALL of my tracks and reduce them by 1/2 or 3/4 (Volume wise) depending on how badly I cocked up the mix first time through then I sorta work my way back up to a reasonable level.  Depending on how much I give a crap about it all.

A friend of mine pointed out that MOST new sample libraries already mix their samples quite nicely.  Seriously, try doing NOTHING about the mix and return everything to a normal EQ values.  Re-post this and see if there are complaints forthcoming.  Hopefully someone else will come in to help you there, b/c I'm not a mix-guru just average level.

Top link from CompoThasauce was the one I used Paremtric EQ 2 and it is the LAST time I'll ever use that shitty half-assed mixer synth.

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/MnP87

Now this is without.  I'm sure there are still some nitpicks to be had, but my god is it cleaner and not "roofed" off.

Edited by HoboKa

• 2 weeks later...

I am inexperienced with this sort of thing, but with the cymbals, would it be possible to eq out some of the low end (Ha, low end of cymbals), so you have more of a "shimmer" type of sound, instead of an aggressive percussive sound on them? Sounds nice overall:)

As for the ending you possibly could "calm into" a lightly arranged major chord pattern/arpeggio/pad, with F in the bass, and an F major chord in the treble as the base of your arranged pattern, perhaps with a 6th or 7th added in for flavor, giving a picardy third kind of vibe?:)

Oh, one more thing I just thought of...on the snare, perhaps you might like the sound of a brush snare (the kind you hear in soft jazz) instead of a standard snare?

Edited by Audiomancer