Give the gift of reviews! (Underdog Remix Appreciation)

big giant circles

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my piece hasn't recieved a great deal of comments...

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76647

Actually 11 replies isn't bad. I think we're concentrating more on stuff in the single digits.

Fair enough. I was just goin' off what bgc said:

... or that have less than a full page's worth of reviews (that would be 14, at least) and...

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but my piece hasn't recieved a great deal of comments...

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76647

Actually 11 replies isn't bad. I think we're concentrating more on stuff in the single digits.

Fair enough. I was just goin' off what bgc said:

... or that have less than a full page's worth of reviews (that would be 14, at least) and...

either, really. i'd personally love to see EVERY mix with at least 15 replies (to page 2, at least) so by all means, have a listen to abadoss's mix. but at the same time, yeah, if a mix has 11 replies, and there's still hundreds that have single digit reviews, take some time to review those, too.

don't get too caught up in the letter of the law here, people. it's the whole spirit of the thing i'm trying to convey--more appreciation for ALL mixes; not just the "popular" or even recent ones, where the quality immensely surpasses the earlier mixes.

Big thanks to OA for his efforts to show some remixers his appreciation for their work.

8)

NP dude, cool idea. It's been uber slow at work this week, and I've had the chance to find a lot of gems i've previously skipped over. Win-win IMO. :)

I know a few guys have been helping out, but please do some more everyone. Nothing makes me feel like a bigger nerd than seeing the reviews forum spammed with my handle. Please, for my sake, and the sake of my potentially unborn children, review a track or two. Barring the removed mixes, the last 2 pages (28 and 29) are all in the double digits, and that's a decent start. Let's keep rocking, only a few days left!

• 11 months later...

So it's that Christmas month again, and last year BGC started a really cool movement to get some lesser-listened-to songs more reviews. I think it's a great idea, and I want to bring it back this year.

Basically, there are tons of songs that have less than 20 reviews, and even some with less than 10. I say we all try to find at least one song a day that we haven't listened to, or haven't reviewed, and try to beef up those review threads.

So, take a few minutes and grab a song you haven't heard, or maybe listen to one you haven't reviewed and take a little time to write some comments!

And, for the lame ending sentence,

"Give the gift of reviews!"

Frankly, I love this idea, and I'd love to see more reviews.

I've never liked the idea of forcing people to do reviews, and I also feel like if there's any sort of incentive to review, the purity/honesty/motivation/etc. could easily be tarnished, but encouraging people to review just for the sake of giving ReMixers - and other listeners - something to read and consider... I think it's great.

This isn't too bad of an idea.

Since there are so many mixes on this site, maybe we should post links to stuff we recently reviewed and recommend(force) people to go review what we just did?

That's not a bad idea either. If anything, it'll help draw more attention to the mixes with few reviews.

Here's what I've covered so far:

OCR00258: Tetris 'TechtrisTypeZ' (which, up until this morning, was the song with the least number of reviews.)

OCR00196: Frogger 'StompBox'

OCR00302: Ultraman 2 'vs. Brazil'

I'd still love to see more people get involved in this, even if you grab one mix and review it a day!

At this point there are 9 mixes with only 3 reviews on them, 34 mixes with 4 reviews, 37 with 5, and similar numbers for 6, 7, and 8.

There are a bunch of mixes with 9 reviews, and it would be great to get those all to 10. Any takers? :)

I'm totally up for this.

I already have all OCR on my MP3 player, so, it shouldn't take any great effort. I'll probably shoot for at least one a day.

EDIT: You know, given what I do and all, I should probably start with the few Lunar remixes on here... KF

I endorse this as well, i've been pretty busy the last few months, but a reminder like this is always good. :-)

As for incentive, while reviewing a lot of the tracks, I found a ton of *FANTASTIC* ones that I had somehow missed. It's an awesome treasure hunt for amazing music, and that in itself is an awesome reward.

Also, I hear remix reviewers get all the chicks.

http://www.babble.com/CS/photos/apr2007/images/13730/365x369.aspx

i think in the spirit on the holidays and giving and love and all that good stuff, we should all review remixes made by our beloved judges... seeing as how we review all your music with very little in return outside of fame, fortune and hate =P

haha, or merry christmas!

NO

that said, i'll probably hit up several tonight.

can i just point out that the mix at the top of that list is OCR #3? that's BAD, really bad. it's six and a half years old, for goodness sakes. that's, like, older than some of the nub posters on this site.