Chrono Trigger Orchestral Remix - World Revolution / Final Battle / Main Theme

soundyg

Hey folks, here's a big ol' piece of music that took far too long to do.

I learned a fair bit on how to approach composing/mixing big orchestral pieces like this, especially when there are synths/guitars layered in on top, though I imagine there's plenty to be improved.

Let me know what you think, cheers!

Chrono Trigger Orchestral Remix - World Revolution / Final Battle / Main Theme

Let me first congratulate your ambition in not only working with a huge composition, but also working with some great Chrono Trigger pieces! I think that overall your hard work is showing with this monster. The big chromatic drop at 1:28 is what told me that there was more than just a good cover coming. At the final battle part (Roughly 2:00) I fairly enjoy the bass line's slight panning from left to right, giving a nice surround sound for the apocalypse. You make the orchestra nicely handle what synthy goodness and shredding guitars normally deal with. And that Lavos scream, gives the chills. And after all the mania of the battle, breaking into the main theme with delicate strings and woodwinds: classic. Nice spread of feeling and intensity. 

The best I can offer by way of critique: The brass sounds a little too smooth at parts where they handle the melody (Like 0:40, 5:17) ), some added attack on the notes could be nice. And... well, I hope someone else will come and offer better feedback. This was a pleasure to listen to, keep working with it!

This IS ambitious and wow it starts off no bars held.  And WOW the YT algorithm has utterly failed you mate.  You'd think that a tag like Chrono Trigger would garner at least 10,000 views off the bat.  Google sure is a shitty Big-Media pandering, Disney-cock sucking garbage pit... Do you have Soundcloud and Bandcamp??  Might get more views there.  

Right.  Loving the production and the breakdown at 4:00 is great.  Is this E/W symphonic library samples??

Edited by HoboKa

On 4/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, Souperion said:

Let me first congratulate your ambition in not only working with a huge composition, but also working with some great Chrono Trigger pieces! I think that overall your hard work is showing with this monster. The big chromatic drop at 1:28 is what told me that there was more than just a good cover coming. At the final battle part (Roughly 2:00) I fairly enjoy the bass line's slight panning from left to right, giving a nice surround sound for the apocalypse. You make the orchestra nicely handle what synthy goodness and shredding guitars normally deal with. And that Lavos scream, gives the chills. And after all the mania of the battle, breaking into the main theme with delicate strings and woodwinds: classic. Nice spread of feeling and intensity. 

The best I can offer by way of critique: The brass sounds a little too smooth at parts where they handle the melody (Like 0:40, 5:17) ), some added attack on the notes could be nice. And... well, I hope someone else will come and offer better feedback. This was a pleasure to listen to, keep working with it!

Thanks! Between this and the other piece I posted here, getting the brass notes to sound a bit more varied in velocity was a common issue that came up, so I'll be sure to sort that out in the future. Thanks again for your input.

14 hours ago, HoboKa said:

This IS ambitious and wow it starts off no bars held.  And WOW the YT algorithm has utterly failed you mate.  You'd think that a tag like Chrono Trigger would garner at least 10,000 views off the bat.  Google sure is a shitty Big-Media pandering, Disney-cock sucking garbage pit... Do you have Soundcloud and Bandcamp??  Might get more views there.  

Right.  Loving the production and the breakdown at 4:00 is great.  Is this E/W symphonic library samples??

Cheers! Yeah Youtube seems tough to get some traction on, I'll add some more tags like you mentioned. I've got a Soundcloud too, but that seems similarly quiet. To be honest, every time I look at the Youtube video I'm sickened by the shoddy image (ie. the composition and layout, not Toriyama's work naturally) that I set as the video's background. I suspect it does no favours for the video's potential viewership. It serves as a constant reminder not to spend multiple evenings working on something and then cobble together a bad photoshop last minute lol.

And yes, pretty much all the instruments in the piece come from EastWest, aside from a few (some synths, the organs) that come by default with Cubase.

Glad you liked it!

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is really cool! I really like your transitions from one part to another and a lot of your riffs and rhythm work sounds especially great.

I agree with Souperion that your brass line around 0:40 sounds a bit muddy. Working with EW myself, I think this a case where you want to use a different sample. Maybe try the Long Marcato or the Accent Legato Slur sample? In comparison, a similar part playing from 7:23 sounds absolutely great!

I also noticed you leave the mid range somewhat empty during most of your remix. For that reason, the part starting around 3:40 feels more balanced to me. I think this is an instrumentation thing, more so than an EQ setting. Is this intentional? It does remind me more of the original game music.