OCR03972 - *YES* Chrono Cross "Font of Life"

Gario

• 2 months later...

With the source usage being straightforward, I don't have to get into any extensive breakdowns. At the very end at 4:55, you had a nice slowdown and all it made me think was "Where was something like this before?" in order to change up the flow some. Dynamically, this felt flatter and more repetitive than it should have been. That said, it's nonetheless a very cool take on the original that manages to have its own personalized presentation style. A beautifully constructed arrangement with a more ethereal presentation than the original; it still feels like you're swimming underwater, but maybe here you're in the deepest, darkest depths. Let's go.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/08/22 - (1Y) Chrono Cross 'Font of Life'
  • 3 weeks later...

The use of the source here is visible with the change of instrumentation to a bell-driven landscape and the different key adding to an underwater feel, and yet it treads the line between straight-forward and interpretive writing.  The first repetition does its job with identifying the source, and 1:23 moved on with a delicate switch between additional writing and playing around with various motifs.  Then there's the rest of the track starting at 2:35, where the focus balanced between subtractive interpretation and playing around with the chords to add a unique character not present beforehand.  In other words, a surprising amount of coverage is going on for its length and pacing, and it's beautiful to take in.

The production values also feel pleasant.  The bells and pitched percussion are lovely and delicate, there are well-balanced instruments to match this underwater feel, and the use of reverb also dodged the risk of overpowering mud.  But there is the usual problem with the quiet mixdown, with the peak at -3.6dB.  It's one of those tracks that I felt the dynamics would benefit more from a normalization of the master render, adding more to the bells leading the track's direction.

As it is, it's a lovely piece of work that does a hefty amount of exploration despite the minimalist source.  In an intriguing twist, this isn't one of Rebecca's best productions, but the arrangement shines through much more.  I'm all for front-page treatment, as well as relaxing to this at night.

YES

• Rexy changed the title to 2018/08/22 - (2Y) Chrono Cross 'Font of Life'
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny that LionTamer felt this was more like the deepest depths of the ocean than the original; I feel exactly the other way.  The lighter tones of the remix give me the impression of sunlight filtering through the surface of the water, while the deeper sounds and whale-like pads of the original sound like they're happening deeper underwater.

Anyway.  It's certainly pretty, and the production is more than adequate.  Despite its ambient quality it doesn't seem overly meandering or long; when I did check it thinking it really ought to be ending about now, it was.  Source usage is clearly fine.  It's true that it could stand to be a bit louder, but it's not problematic.  A good arrangement all around.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

this is just beautiful. this style - light winds, plectral instruments, and pitched percussion - is something you do so well, rebecca, and i'd encourage you to continue to develop this style more by doing more with this kind of timbral arrangement - that is, using instrumental timbres to carry the melodic interest as much as the actual notes being played. it's quite conservative overall, but the nuance in how you move it around the different instruments is great.

2:35's tempo change was a great shift to keep things interesting. i found the EP usage here to be unexpected as well - you'd done so much with acoustic instruments that the addition of more electronic instruments was a bit jarring. that's more a personal preference than anything. alternatively, the stereo echos at 3:55 were a really nice touch.

right around 4:10 or so i was starting to get tired of what was going on, and you did your thing at 4:25 to carry me through to the end. it was a nice little swell that gave the track the energy it needed to finish.

as a whole, a beautiful and appropriate rendition of a difficult source. nice work.

YES

Edited by prophetik music

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03972 - *YES* Chrono Cross "Font of Life"