*NO* Castlevania 'Vampire Punisher'

Gario

Hello OverClocked,

My name is Thiago Moreno.

This remix was a result of Castlevania being one of my favorite games/soundtracks. The main song mixed is "Vampire Killer" (Castlevania I) with some sections of "Beginning" (Castlevania III). The genre of this remix is Electronic (Synthwave).

Follow below the remix's link attached and all the required information:

• Remix link: 
  • ReMixer name: Gamewaver
  • E-mail address: 
  • UserId: 35558
  • Game(s) arranged
    • Castlevania I
    • Castlevania III
  • Name of arrangement: Vampire Punisher
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged
    • Vampire Killer (Castlevania I). Featured in the main sections of the remix.
    • Beginning (Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse). Featured in complementary sections of the remix.
  • Additional info:
    • Composer(s):
      • Vampire Killer (Castlevania I):  Kinuyo Yamashita
      • Beginning (Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse):  
        • Hidenori Maezawa
        • Jun Funahashi
        • Yukie Morimoto
        • Yoshinori Sasaki
    • Remix:
      • Genre: Electronic 
      • Subgenre: Synthwave/Retrowave
  • Original soundtrack links:

I appreciate your time and patience in taking a look at my submission.

Sincerely yours,
Thiago Moreno.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Well, in terms of the sound palette, it was somewhat vanilla/plain, but ultimately the instrumentation was serviceable and pleasing. That said, there were a lot of brief areas where deviations from the melodies led to some clashing notes and harmonizations; not sure why that happened, but we can’t roll with that at all.

Arrangement-wise, this was extremely plodding and stagnant; there’s very little dynamic contrast, the sequencing was extremely rigid, and the textures were pretty thin and basic. Even when “Vampire Killer” repeated for the final third, it was just a tiny bit more intense but otherwise it was functionally a cut-and-paste without meaningful variation. The CV3 “Beginning” section wasn’t inherently a bad idea, but also didn’t have any synergy or flow with the “Vampire Killer” sections.

Sorry to not have much positive I can say, Thiago. This just needs more attention to detail, more humanization, more variation, more dynamic contrast, and more interpretation beyond this genre adaptation.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/09/27 - *DON'T MOVE* (1N) Castlevania 'Vampire Punisher'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

I have very little to add to Larry's vote.  The bland synth instrumentation, repetitive backing, and sour notes are all problematic.  There are some fun original riffs but every one of them is spoiled by clashing notes.  There's a lot of creativity here but the execution needs to back it up.

NO

I like your bass synth, and the drums are properly retrowave.  I didn't like the bell-like lead too much, it had some sort of detuning that clashed against the rest of the song, while also feeling quite bland.  Same goes to the slow-attack brassy lead that comes after.  The mix is clean overall but also feels super empty and the vanilla leads get very exposed.  It's also pretty conservative and the changes to the original melody are often clashing tonally against the chords or just outright off.

The structure wasn't too interesting either and it just seemed to go along without much energy release, climax or buildup.  The drum sequencing got a bit stale due to the static nature of the arrangement as well.

There are ok things here such as the cleanliness of the mix but there are too many failings when it comes to execution.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/09/27 - *DON'T MOVE* *NO* Castlevania 'Vampire Punisher'
  • Sir_NutS unpinned and locked this topic