*NO* Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'

Sir_NutS

This probably needs a new title, if posted.

Remixer name: jmabate
Email: 
user id : 35644

Submission information:

Name of Game(s) Remixed: MUSHA Aleste
Name of Arrangement: Galvanic Gear cover
Names of songs arranged: Galvanic Gear (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfOFCzyN2eg)

Comments about the mix:
when I play at this game, I was 16 ! It was an amazing game with outstanding 16 bit metal music.
I love all of this OST and thanks Mr Toshiaki Sakoda for his work.

Cheers,
Jean Marc

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2019/03/04 - Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a pretty neat source, and the metal guitar work is definitely up to our par. Some of those lines are difficult to execute, and you handle it like a champ. The production, while sounding a little heavy on the low pass, sounds solid for a heavy metal track, with pretty good mixing to boot.

The arrangement, however, is pretty conservative. Not only does it hit all of the same overall beats as the source, the melody and textures also follow the source nearly note-for-note - it even continues to repeat until fading out, as if it were ripped straight from a game OST. While it's a great cover, unfortunately it doesn't quite follow the OCR site mission of interpretive arranging of a source.

It's a great cover, though, so take some pride in what you sent us - it's just not for this site. I do hope to hear more from you, though, as you've got the skills to get some music on here if you decide to expand on a source.

NO

The performances are good for sure, it's just too bad it's too close to a cover, in both arrangement and structure.  If things were changed up on the second section, with more interpretation and original material, I would've been onboard, but sadly the second section is pretty much a repeat.  

It's a great track honestly, it's just not for OCR.

NO

Edited by Sir_NutS

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *DON'T MOVE* 2019/03/04 - (2N) Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'

Can't argue with any of that.  The production is a little too grungy IMO, but it would still be passable if this weren't so close to the original.  There are a few little riffs and frills thrown in, but it's not enough for what we look for.  Thanks for submitting it, though, it's a great piece of music and I'm glad I got the chance to hear it.

NO

• Sir_NutS pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Right from the start, this was pretty muddy, so see what you can do about restoring some high-end clarity to this. Nice samples and instruments here to flesh out the sound of the theme.

But... it's obvious from the start that this is a rock cover and practically all of the part-writing is identical to the source aside from tweaks to the percussion. The rhythms, tempo, notes, and loop points are all the same as the original, so this doesn't do anywhere near enough to stand apart from the source tune as a unique or personalized enough interpretation.

Excellent cover, Jean-Marc, it just falls outside the scope of what we're looking for. If you want to hear some covers that stay melodically close to the source BUT also stand apart more from the original VGM, check out:
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02194
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02628
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03042
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03234
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03329
https://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03558 

I do hope you submit something else in the future; your performances were strong, and we always want more game representation on the site. That said, there need to be more elements of arrangement and interpretation in line with the Arrangement aspect of OCR's Submissions Standards.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *DON'T MOVE* 2019/03/04 - (4N) Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'

Oh gosh do I hate to say no to this, because it's clearly not a midi rip, and is performed very well.  The mixing is good although I agree that it lacks some highs and some lows.  It is the original verbatim though, and although one could argue that the live metal performance is in itself an interpretation, it is still too close.  If you wanted to redo this for OCR, you'd need to add some substantial variation and personalization to the arrangement.  But dang, nice work, love it.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to *DON'T MOVE* 2019/03/04 - (5N) Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'

Good guitar tone. Some original licks dropped in here and there, however the mix mostly follows the progression of the original. This is a shame as the mix features a solid guitar playing performance. The mix seems to repeat (at least in part), this is where I would have explored some new territory. You layer the guitar channels well. Some low end could be tapered off on the guitars for extra clarity, but I didn't think it was a major issue compared to other tracks of this nature where nothing but guitar can be heard. The fade-out finish was a little disappointing. Taking this mix as it stands now, it's too cover-like for posting. I share the same enthusiasm as the others however when I say I'm looking forward to hearing more work from you, the skills you demonstrate here could quite easily translate to something postable.

NO

This note has nothing to do with the judgment of the track, but you've got a good ear for playing such a complex source!  I want to hear a lot more of what you're capable of doing.

Alas, arrangement-wise this is nothing more than a straight cover - 3 run-throughs of the theme, and that's it.  Alongside your sharp musical ear, I'd like to hear some more personalization and development of those melodies - and heck, even an original solo would add a lot of life to this.  The best way to get inspiration is to look at some OC Remix mixposts that also performed strongly at the Dwelling of Duels and see how they stand out.

The lack of high frequencies stands out for me, too.  A slight EQ boost there on your lead guitar can also help, but I also feel the cymbals can add in that missing audio space.  Assuming your drum VST has EQ settings for the overhead, a high pass at 1k Hz and a raised high shelf at 10k Hz can add in some of that deprived brightness.

As a performer, you've got great performance chops, and I'm keen to hear more of you in the future.  But it’ll be amazing if you work on something that has a far more developed arrangement.  Keep at it, and I'd like to see your work in the inbox again in the future.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Rexy

• Rexy changed the title to *DON'T MOVE* 2019/03/04 - (7N) Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'

this is a really weird track to remix! there's a lot of great atonal doodling in here that really fits the style you've chosen for the track. you also did a nice job with the performance, especially of the lead. there's some very uncommon patterns in there that you nailed with what sounded like ease - that has to represent some serious practice time. kudos on that.

ultimately i think this track lacks too much in terms of arrangement. it's essentially the source straight through three times, with some noodling at the end of each instance. there's some background changes each time - i liked the octaves panned right around 2:07, for instance! - but you're getting essentially the same source tune played the same each time. beyond that, since the focus is on the lead, there's little to recommend themselves in the bass and drums (really would have helped combat the sameness that was going on). this song needs much more love on the arrangement side.

from a mastering perspective, it overall felt really flat. there's just not a lot on the high end that i could hear to recommend itself, and that didn't help. the rhythm's tone felt mushed in with the lead, which can be combated with some adjustments to tone and to mastering with how you slot the two parts together.

overall, i'd say that this is a fun listen, but doesn't meet OCR's arrangement standards. i'd love to hear another take of this with some more creativity in the background parts and some more exploration in the melody line.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Musha Aleste 'Galvanic Gear Cover'
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic