Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Australian and UK Wii owners, maybe the rest of Europe...

ATTENTION!

You have have weather channel now! GO UPDATE.

Us US guys don't get it until later :(

In under 2 days.

I'm still waiting to try the internet channel and the supposed mp3 channel.

there IS NO mp3 channel

So I played a wii for the first time tonight. I played Wii Sports and Red Steel. Impressions...

In Wii Sports i tried tennis, boxing and bowling.

Tennis was super fun and we got into some extremely heated rallies, which is good considering i've never played tennis before. It was probably the best game.

Boxing was also very fun, but the nature of the game is that its harder to pick up and play it. I was getting pwned hardcore. The best thing was when i gave it to my mom and dad. My dad beat her to the ground, but my mom came from behind for victory. Totally hilarious to watch.

Bowling was ok... but it was kinda slow just cuz it was bowling. But it all worked fine.

And Red Steel. SOOOO frustrating... but fun in a strange way. I was yelling at the screen the whole time. Like when the enemies say "He's gone!!" every time you duck behind the corner. Or when I was just having a hard time to make my guy do what I wanted. The story was pure cheese in a good way. Its not the amazing game I hoped it would be, but I still got a kick out of it just because it was something new.

So overall I'm very happy. I wish I actualy owned one of these suckers. None of the games I played was fantastic. Wii Sports is definitely a novelty party game, but it was the first time in a while ive had some friends playin and yellin and havin fun like that. Even my parents had a go at it.

Well, my issue with the 360/PS3 is the fact that both consoles are trying too hard to be PCs at this point. Even though they do have exclusive games that can't be had anywhere else, a lot of their other games can be played on a PC with better controls, and $4-600 is getting a little ridiculous to pay for, what is basically, a gimped PC.

Even Nintendo has started to go in that direction with the Wii (Photo, Weather and News Channel) but at least the price is somewhat reasonable. The DS is probably the only current system I really don't have a problem with when it comes to this.

At the very least, PS3 is. I don't know about the 360 since they're building everything around the Xbox Live service and they are not tacking on online browsers just because they can.

Nintendo is a bit of a mystery with their decision to put in Opera browser and weather reports. It's like they put it in there just to show the competitors that they can do it too.

As for the "reasonable price" issue, I think you're missing the point. You're not really getting gimped on anything with $400-$600 machine which is basically mostly a gaming machine + media centers. And PCs, unless you rig it up with HUNDREDS of dollars of improvements, tends to not be media centers and especially not directly conducive to high definition feed unless, again, you pump hundreds into upgrading it. Maybe add a purely high definition CRT/flatscreen monitor to top it off. That's a few hundreds. I remember like about five years ago, I spent $300 on a single graphics card.

In the VooDoo days, I spent $250 easily on middle-of-the-road graphics cards that became obsolete within about a year. I'll take the 4 or 5 year lifespan of a 360 or PS3 any day in terms of price. Oh, I agree 100% that PCs can do more. But again, I do not see how you can directly correlate the home console, living room experience that can cost a thousand dollars less than emulating the same for a PC.

And I disagree that the gaming control is "not as good as the PC". I mean, I play PC games ALL THE TIME, and there's something good about the fact that all the controls are controllable within two fistfuls of a game controller. And besides, unlike PCs, now gaming consoles are fully wireless. PS3, 360, Wii, all of them. There is no need to do so with PCs since people sit in front of the screen all day anyway.

PS- Why the hell isn't Wii-Play integrated into the Wii itself? Like a free game of sorts? That would've been better than putting Wii-Sports in there IMO.

At the very least, PS3 is. I don't know about the 360 since they're building everything around the Xbox Live service and they are not tacking on online browsers just because they can.

You do realize that it will probably have a browser before the end of it's lifetime right? Xbox Live is the only thing that seperates it from a PC, but is Xbox Live worth giving up a mouse and keyboard for?

As for the "reasonable price" issue, I think you're missing the point. You're not really getting gimped on anything with $400-$600 machine which is basically mostly a gaming machine + media centers. And PCs, unless you rig it up with HUNDREDS of dollars of improvements, tends to not be media centers and especially not directly conducive to high definition feed unless, again, you pump hundreds into upgrading it. Maybe add a purely high definition CRT/flatscreen monitor to top it off. That's a few hundreds. I remember like about five years ago, I spent $300 on a single graphics card.

Again, you're overestimating the cost of a PC on par with those systems. Will they cost more? Absolutely. Even so, the fact that the PC can do so much more aside from gaming justifies it costing more than a console. Trying to say a console is worth buying because of exclusives is acceptable, but if you're going to try and argue that it's worth it's price at $600, it's just not going to work out in your favor. There is no reason to spend $600 on a system that you can't even play games on while downloading demos.

In the VooDoo days, I spent $250 easily on middle-of-the-road graphics cards that became obsolete within about a year. I'll take the 4 or 5 year lifespan of a 360 or PS3 any day in terms of price. Oh, I agree 100% that PCs can do more. But again, I do not see how you can directly correlate the home console, living room experience that can cost a thousand dollars less than emulating the same for a PC.

But you realize, those console graphics get outdated every time a new line of video cards is released too. It's not like they're magically going to stay on par with PC visuals as more powerful CPUs and video cards come. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of paying so much for a system that I can't upgrade in the future.

That said, when the 360 price drop comes, I'll probably get one. Right now, $400 is an awful lot to pay for Xbox Live and graphics that will look old a year from now.

And I disagree that the gaming control is "not as good as the PC". I mean, I play PC games ALL THE TIME, and there's something good about the fact that all the controls are controllable within two fistfuls of a game controller. And besides, unlike PCs, now gaming consoles are fully wireless. PS3, 360, Wii, all of them. There is no need to do so with PCs since people sit in front of the screen all day anyway.

There are very few genres a console controller does better than a mouse/keyboard (fighting games, for example), but for the most part, you absolutely cannot beat a PC when it comes to controls.

Why would I want to play FPS on 360 when I could have precise aiming? Why would I play an RTS on the PS3 when I could just use a mouse to accurately select and target units? Why would *anyone* play GTA on a console when you have to use that god awful aiming system? Most PC games are so complex and use so many keys that, quite frankly, it would just be impossible to play them using a joypad.

And you're absolutely right about the wireless thing, but the fact of the matter is, wireless keyboards and mice *are* available. I rarely play PC games on my monitor anymore, unless it's an FPS because they're just easier to play sitting closer to the screen.

Sorry to interject, but the Forecast channel is indeed awesome, it's nice to see a lot of effort has been put into it. I doubt it's going to tear me away from Zelda any time soon, but the 'big spinny globe' feature is pretty cool, particularly as you can spin the glob and then release the A button and watch it continue to spin like some kind of ridiculously ornate marble :P

Yeah, I just got the update too. It's rather fancy, although the actual weather info seems to be slightly outdated most of the time. And the channel has good music(Different between local weather and globe), all nice and relaxing stuff.

For those wondering how it works: When the weather channel is first started, it'll ask you for your region/state/province based on the country selection in the Wii itself. Once you select a region, you can select the nearest city from a list to get the weather for that place. It'll then switch to the main weather screen, where you'll see 'current' temperature, wind speed and weather conditions(Clear, cloudy, rain, snow, all that stuff). You can go up for the UV index, but also check the all-day forecast, tomorrow's forecast and a 5-day index.

Once you hit up the globe, you can pan around the planet and select cities to see their weather. By default, the current sky condition is displayed. You can switch to current temperature, today's forecast, today's high, tomorrow's forecast and tomorrow's high.

The overall interface is a lot like the Photo Channel in terms of layout and screen elements.

GAAAAAAAAH!

I STILL DON'T HAVE A WII!

Tell me about it. :roll:

same.

Your Order has been shipped

YAY!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to order it online? All the stores I know of were sold out.

It was a late pre-order (early November-ish). My initial pre-order was cancelled when the business I ordered from (lik-sang) closed down. My pre-order must be one of the last to be fulfilled.