Nintendo Wii

Smoke

A friend came over and I was showing him the wii and shit and we were playing different games. So I play Wii Sports, everything fine. I play Wii Play, everything fine, before he came over, my bro was playing Twilight Princess, everything fine. When I put in the TP disk to show him the Zelda glory, it gives me the disk read error screen.

I think "well, alright, I'll just clean it"

I do, try again, nothing.

Again, nothing.

Different disks, including the Melee one, nothing.

After an hour of not reading disks, the sound is suddenly fucked up too. Now every time it plays any sound, from music to sound effects, it spews out static noise. Irritating static noise.

FUCK!

God, why do I have this compelling need to buy stuff at launch? OH! I KNOW! I WAS WAITING FOR ZELDA FOR 300 YEARS!

D:<

Goddammit!

I'm going to Nintendo's distributor here first thing in the morning! I'm getting this Wii replaced, and the data transferred! I'm just kinda sad it won't be the same Wii. We've had good times.

: (

I'm pissed off now!

Did you try unplugging it completely? The only issue I've had with my Wii is the controller suddenly not being detected, which was fixed by just unplugging it and plugging it back in after a few seconds.

A friend came over and I was showing him the wii and shit and we were playing different games. So I play Wii Sports, everything fine. I play Wii Play, everything fine, before he came over, my bro was playing Twilight Princess, everything fine. When I put in the TP disk to show him the Zelda glory, it gives me the disk read error screen.

I think "well, alright, I'll just clean it"

I do, try again, nothing.

Again, nothing.

Different disks, including the Melee one, nothing.

After an hour of not reading disks, the sound is suddenly fucked up too. Now every time it plays any sound, from music to sound effects, it spews out static noise. Irritating static noise.

FUCK!

God, why do I have this compelling need to buy stuff at launch? OH! I KNOW! I WAS WAITING FOR ZELDA FOR 300 YEARS!

D:<

Goddammit!

I'm going to Nintendo's distributor here first thing in the morning! I'm getting this Wii replaced, and the data transferred! I'm just kinda sad it won't be the same Wii. We've had good times.

: (

I'm pissed off now!

Did you try unplugging it completely? The only issue I've had with my Wii is the controller suddenly not being detected, which was fixed by just unplugging it and plugging it back in after a few seconds.

Of course I did, I tried everything you usually do in these situations, from unplugging it, to leaving it off for a while and even leaving it unplugged for the whole night. Tried unplugging the audio/video cables and even the sensor bar. Different disks and nothing works. I'm even noticing lag when clicking the different channels (with the sound muted, god white noise is annoying).

It may be. It might be simple flukes, but there have been too many similar reports in such a short period. We all know the Wiimote strap thing is bullshit, but this is not. Total disc-reading laser breakdown within not even 2 weeks of purchase? And some sound issue too?

:\

It might have something to do with it being DVD I don't know.

I'm just spitting out random crap now. Nevertheless, it's still a launch console, and the reports are THAT many. I guess I can cut them a little slack, after all, it's not like a 600$ console just broke down :wink:

Still, I expect a replacement unit, fully functional, and my data transferred as well as my 400 points left. I don't have an SD card :[

And downloads are REAL slow, but that could just be because there isn't much RAM in the system.

How is download speed related to RAM? It's most likely either related to busy servers, or to a security system in place to make sure people aren't downloading games for free that's verifying a whole lot of stuff.

Actually, a miniscule amount of RAM will affect download speeds, since it affects the speed of everything else in the system (and we all know the Wii isn't built for speed). Also, whatever cache the Wii may have would have to be stored in the RAM since there just isn't a lot of internal storage. That's why I'm worried that when Opera comes out, the system is going to be very slow while browsing due to a lack of (or a very little) cache.

I doubt it's busy servers because the speed always seems the same to me no matter what time of day I go to the Shop Channel.

Actually, a miniscule amount of RAM will affect download speeds, since it affects the speed of everything else in the system (and we all know the Wii isn't built for speed). Also, whatever cache the Wii may have would have to be stored in the RAM since there just isn't a lot of internal storage. That's why I'm worried that when Opera comes out, the system is going to be very slow while browsing due to a lack of (or a very little) cache.

Why the hell would you want to browse the internet ona game machine? The computer is far, far better for that. If you don't have a computer (which I can safely say that Kak does), then I can see it, but still...

I doubt it's busy servers because the speed always seems the same to me no matter what time of day I go to the Shop Channel.

There are other places in the world that have the Wii, you know... maybe they're also tying up servers. I can only see this happening if the system doesn't have different servers for each region.

I'd much rather watch streaming video on my Wii than on my PC to be honest. Other than that, I don't see much reason to browse the net on Wii over PC. Still, I'd like to see improved download speeds at some point.

And even if each region shared the same servers, the Shop Channel shouldn't be as slow as it is. There is almost nothing to it's interface.

Uhhhh

wtf

I went to Nintendo's distributor's HQ here and they checked out my Wii. A really nice manager and some equally nice girl from Tech support took me to this showroom thingy where they had a widescreen TV and several other stuff and plugged my Wii in, same cables I use at home, since I rapacked everything, ready for returning.

Thing is, when they tested it, same exact setup, it worked perfectly. No sound problem. Perfectly reading discs. I don't know if this is a bad omen or just a bizarre error, but it's freakish nevertheless.

They told me it might've been some problem with the laser's head which might have been fixed during the car ride there. So basically, I had to smack my Wii, like JoeFu advised me to (or was it spleen?). Still, this doesn't account to the sound issue, since the cables were the same.

Jesus... It might be from my tv, so I'll try changing the AV out from front to back and see if there's a difference.

It seems to work fine now.

:3

On two seperate occasions my Wii either won't turn on or turn off. The screen will go black instead of the video's blue output, but the system won't turn on or off. It won't work withe either remote or the button on the system. The only way to fix it is unplugging it and plugging it back in.

5 VC titles for Christmas, but no freebies as rumored.

via Joystiq

* Super Mario Bros. (NES, 500 points): Nintendo's flagship title is sure to sell like hotcakes despite already racking up 40 million in sales since its 1985 release. How many times can we repurchase the game?

* Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (SNES, 800 points): Compared to the Xbox Live version, it's your choice whether you want online play or would rather pocket $2.00 in exchange rate difference (800 Nintendo points vs. 800 MS points).

* Super Castlevania IV (SNES, 800 points): One of the best in the series. Easily the best Castlevania title on the SNES, though it only had one other iteration (Castlevania Dracula X) to compete against.

* Toe Jam & Earl (Genesis, 800 points): Strong two-player action title, worth the price based on style alone.

* R-Type (TurboGrafx16, 600 points): One of the classic space shooters.

Has anyone had any issues with the pointer on the wii-mote kinda flickering or not registering correctly with the TV screen?

I think I know what you're referring to; does it seem to do that especially when you're rotating the wiimote or something? Try increasing the sensitivity of the remote in your wii settings, that might help.

Also,

* Super Castlevania IV (SNES, 800 points): One of the best in the series. Easily the best Castlevania title on the SNES, though it only had one other iteration (Castlevania Dracula X) to compete against.

Yay.

I knew about Toe Jam & Earl, but SF II and Castlevania IV? Oh hell yes!! well, maybe not SF II, I'd rather wait for a better version....like Tubro or Super SFII.

Thing is, Joystiq is not always very reliable. I really hope it's true.

Edit: thanks penfold. I'll do that when I get home.