Nintendo Wii

Smoke

posting from my wii, and it feels weird. Browser isn't that bad, just that everything is smoothed together. And flash video works!!!. You tube videos on my t.v. ω

Back on my PC, and i meant smooshed.

Well, i dont think i'll be using my Wii for my daily web browsing :lol: , but its a very cool feature. Specially that it lets you bookmark your favorite sites.

Crap, i didn't check if you can use the nunchuck to browse the page (move up/down/left/right) instead of holding down B. I would imagine using the nunchuck joystick would make it much easier.

Haha, I lost.

I waited since midnight and the store didn't get a single Wii, and neither did the other store nearby.

At least the guy in the store had the courtesy to tell us a couple hours before it opened.

I really should have gone at five. There was no one there the entire night.

Anyway, it was pretty fun. Off I go to bed.

Comments from one of my Aussie friends:

Well, for an internet browser, opera works pretty well. It passes the Strong Bad and Youtube tests. The trial version doesn't allow you to add sites to your favourites list, and as of yet you seem unable to copy and paste text. Taking bets that the final version will allow you to transfer pisctures to the photo channel to be turned into puzzles?

Video compression is evident but barely noticable, in worst case the images looked slightly muddy or blurry, a little like the cutscenes for DS games.

Also, the zoom feature seems almost ideal to get a closeup of the youtube window showing what's playing without having to click and load the fullscreen version.

EDIT~ Forgot to mention a few points.

The built-in address bar equivalent passes the one-word test, allowing you to merely type in "google" or "vgcats" etc to have the browser fill in the rest for you. The speaker on the wiimote makes some standard internetty sounds like the click of a keyboard button when you enter letters or press a button on a page. It's a cute touch.

It also comes with a handy popup blocker, but in doing so eliminates the possibility of stuff like newgrounds, or accessing AIM or MSN's internet browser versions.

Your Aussie friend sucks at adding favorites. Just go to the site, hit up the favorites and add.

It's a pretty cool addition, although I most likely won't use it that much(Only to look stuff up quickly)

Also, Toejam & Earl and some other games were added to the PAL VC shop today. Still no new N64 games though.

EDIT: Oh hey, the Wii browser identifies itself as follows:

Opera/9.00 (Nintendo Wii; U; ; 1309-9; en)

The browser is pretty cool, it was kinda satisfying to look at youtube videos and such on a TV screen. I don't actually have a wireless connection in my house and my computer is downstairs, so prior to the Wii I had to use my PSP (and steal next door's unprotected wireless) to check the net in my room. The Wii browser may not exactly be perfect, but compared to the PSP's one - which constantly informs me it's out of memory, can't show Flash video files, and is slower than a 56k modem connection - it's absolutely brilliant.

Then again, once I'm back at uni with my normal wireless setup, I can't really see me using the Wii Opera browser that much. With that said, just like the Forecast Channel it's a harmless addition that's actually pretty fun to use, and best of all it's free (for now anyway).

On a slightly related note, I went out for a big birthday meal with my mates last night and a few of us came back for a little drunken Wii action. The seven of us present all had a great time with it, no-one managed to break anything despite several exaggerated arm motions, and the 4 girls present really got into it. This is particularly impressive when you keep in mind these girls have never owned a console before, and have always completely switched off when me and the guys start talking about anything video game-related. That all of them expressed an interest in buying a Wii after no more than 30 minutes of play is frankly astounding.

Great success!

Just going off-topic to say that the PS3 got smacked by the writers at woot today.

Woot Sells PS3? Wii, Wii!

So, hey, check it out: there’s this awesome new gaming system that we just can’t stop playing. Too bad it’s so hard to find in stores – we guess they just didn’t make enough of them. It’s called the Nintendo Wii, and holy mother of Zelda, is it ever a blast. If the Wii is cool with polygamy, we might ask it to marry us.

The controller – so easy! No more intricate push-this-twice, pull-that-three-times trickery, just easy waves of the hand. The console – so cute! It actually makes our gaming room look better, unlike the bulky, ugly consoles we could mention. How does Nintendo keep the price so low on that thing, anyway? And the games, good Lord, the games! Not to mention those adorable avatars. We’ve already created virtual versions of the entire staff, so we can beat each other virtually-bloody instead of actually-bloody, like we usually do. The only problem is that none of the nose options are as big as Jason’s actual nose. But that’s a minor quibble.

In fact, we love the Wii so much, we want to give a Wii to everybody on our payroll. To fund this Wii-for-the-People program, we're selling this Sony PlayStation 3. The SIXAXIS wireless controller is basically the same complicated gazillion-button-style controller you know from past PS models, but at least you won’t be fighting Grandma for gaming time. Along with the usual roster of ho-hum games, the PS3 can play CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs, and the 20GB hard drive can store music, videos, and music videos. It’s certainly, er, rather full-figured, for those of you who want a lot of heft for your money. And its HDMI capabilities give you polygons and frames-per-second out the wazoo, if you prefer that stuff to having fun.

Best of all, for every PS3 you buy, we can buy Wiis for two of our employees. So when you get frustrated by those intricate combo-button moves, or bored by the underwhelming game offerings for the PS3, keep the spirit of the season in mind. Remember all those happy Woot staffers whose lives have been changed by their super-fun Nintendo Wiis, paid for by you. Heartwarming, isn’t it?

Dare I say, "pwned!!11"?

Just going off-topic to say that the PS3 got smacked by the writers at woot today.
Woot Sells PS3? Wii, Wii!

So, hey, check it out: there’s this awesome new gaming system that we just can’t stop playing. Too bad it’s so hard to find in stores – we guess they just didn’t make enough of them. It’s called the Nintendo Wii, and holy mother of Zelda, is it ever a blast. If the Wii is cool with polygamy, we might ask it to marry us.

The controller – so easy! No more intricate push-this-twice, pull-that-three-times trickery, just easy waves of the hand. The console – so cute! It actually makes our gaming room look better, unlike the bulky, ugly consoles we could mention. How does Nintendo keep the price so low on that thing, anyway? And the games, good Lord, the games! Not to mention those adorable avatars. We’ve already created virtual versions of the entire staff, so we can beat each other virtually-bloody instead of actually-bloody, like we usually do. The only problem is that none of the nose options are as big as Jason’s actual nose. But that’s a minor quibble.

In fact, we love the Wii so much, we want to give a Wii to everybody on our payroll. To fund this Wii-for-the-People program, we're selling this Sony PlayStation 3. The SIXAXIS wireless controller is basically the same complicated gazillion-button-style controller you know from past PS models, but at least you won’t be fighting Grandma for gaming time. Along with the usual roster of ho-hum games, the PS3 can play CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs, and the 20GB hard drive can store music, videos, and music videos. It’s certainly, er, rather full-figured, for those of you who want a lot of heft for your money. And its HDMI capabilities give you polygons and frames-per-second out the wazoo, if you prefer that stuff to having fun.

Best of all, for every PS3 you buy, we can buy Wiis for two of our employees. So when you get frustrated by those intricate combo-button moves, or bored by the underwhelming game offerings for the PS3, keep the spirit of the season in mind. Remember all those happy Woot staffers whose lives have been changed by their super-fun Nintendo Wiis, paid for by you. Heartwarming, isn’t it?

Dare I say, "pwned!!11"?

Don't forget the image that pops up if you click the PS3 image:

Sony_PlayStation_3QM4-detail.jpg