Nintendo Wii

Smoke

So what's the longest anyone waited in line for a Wii?

Err.... 25 hours in front of Super Target... in weather that didn't once get above 33 degrees Farenheit, with wind and snow through the night. For a Wii... for my little brothers for Christmas... I'm crazy, I know. :lol:

Edit: This was from 7:00 AM on Saturday the 16th, to 8:00 AM on Sunday the 17th. Third launch of the consoles at that store, and our family's last sure chance of getting the console for Christmas. Here's to hoping it was worth it, and hoping I score enough brownie points with the siblings to ensure I get a good deal of use out of the Wii before I ship back to college.

So I was playing Monkey Ball last night and I quit the game with the Home button. As soon as I get back to the wii channels menu, i realize the controller isnt working. every time i hit any button, all 4 blue lights just keep flashing.

I figured it was the batteries since I hadn't changed them yet, so I did that. Same results. I resync the controller , same results. I change the batteries again, same results, resync the controller again , same.

I have insurance on my console since I got a bundle from Toys R Us, but before I send it for repair I wanted to see if anyone is familiar with this problem, and if there might be something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Turn off the Wii and turn it one again.

So. PS3 can't move off the shelves, and now Nintendo is trying to be Sony.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pokemon/nintendo-hates-importers-wants-to-collect-them-all-223754.php

At this point, I'm growing heavily reactionary. If they keep this up much longer, I may well just sell my Wii off and go for a 360 and not look back at Nintendo. They seriously should learn from Sony.

Hell.. first they scream from the rafters that there's no market for importers, and now when one of their popular games is getting imported, they go all batshit on them and try to say they're losing money on it.

So I was playing Monkey Ball last night and I quit the game with the Home button. As soon as I get back to the wii channels menu, i realize the controller isnt working. every time i hit any button, all 4 blue lights just keep flashing.

I figured it was the batteries since I hadn't changed them yet, so I did that. Same results. I resync the controller , same results. I change the batteries again, same results, resync the controller again , same.

I have insurance on my console since I got a bundle from Toys R Us, but before I send it for repair I wanted to see if anyone is familiar with this problem, and if there might be something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

Take the batteries out of the controller and leave them out for a good 5 minutes. After you put the batteries back in, start up the Wii by pressing the Power button on the console itself, then hold it's sync button for about 20 seconds. Then press the sync button on the Wiimote and see if that works.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pokemon/nintendo-hates-importers-wants-to-collect-them-all-223754.php

At this point, I'm growing heavily reactionary. If they keep this up much longer, I may well just sell my Wii off and go for a 360 and not look back at Nintendo. They seriously should learn from Sony.

Hell.. first they scream from the rafters that there's no market for importers, and now when one of their popular games is getting imported, they go all batshit on them and try to say they're losing money on it.

Isn't this just Nintendo Europe?

Actually, Nintendo Europe is probably complaining because it makes them be a weaker division. But still, it's a bunch of wankage if you ask me.

Just as a note, I consider the first statement to be highly inaccurate. PS3s are still in high demand and sell easily in most areas.

As for Nintendo "trying to be Sony," it's quite a stretch. Are they being bitchy about importing games? Sure they are. Here's a hint, though - it's THEIR PRODUCT. They have the legal right to ask that their product not be imported to other countries, even if it's a bit silly. But we don't know their side of the story - it's possible that imports of games to Europe were pretty low until Pokemon, and now they've shot up liek woah.

What Sony did was bad press not because they didn't want their console imported, but because they used bully tactics to crush the company that didn't dance to their tune. Cease and desist letters are a far cry from suing a small company into oblivion.

Could some one explain to me how importing hurts companies? I always figured that if Nintendo (or any other company) makes an item and they sell it. They get the money from the retailers. Then after that any transaction made with their item will not benefit or harm them at all.

well thats how I figured it was.

So whats there deal?

Just as a note, I consider the first statement to be highly inaccurate. PS3s are still in high demand and sell easily in most areas.

As for Nintendo "trying to be Sony," it's quite a stretch. Are they being bitchy about importing games? Sure they are. Here's a hint, though - it's THEIR PRODUCT. They have the legal right to ask that their product not be imported to other countries, even if it's a bit silly. But we don't know their side of the story - it's possible that imports of games to Europe were pretty low until Pokemon, and now they've shot up liek woah.

What Sony did was bad press not because they didn't want their console imported, but because they used bully tactics to crush the company that didn't dance to their tune. Cease and desist letters are a far cry from suing a small company into oblivion.

To use the "It's their product, they have the right to say who it can and cannot be sold to!" excuse, is no different than saying, "It's their product, they have the right to say white people aren't allowed to buy it. Ever!" It's totally marketplace discrimination, in a global market.

If a company cannot or is not willing to release their product in a timely manner, yet the product finds its way to customers in an unreleased market, they have no right to complain. If people were choosing to import rather than purchase the product locally when it IS available there, then they can bitch all they want about how it's costing them sales. When it isn't available, and quite probably won't be for most of a year, the only ones hurting their sales in a market showing a decided interest in the product, is themselves.

Could some one explain to me how importing hurts companies? I always figured that if Nintendo (or any other company) makes an item and they sell it. They get the money from the retailers. Then after that any transaction made with their item will not benefit or harm them at all.

So whats there deal?

Well, it obviously hurts the different branches. Nintendo of Europe needs lovin' too, not just NoA!

But, I think it hurts the company overall too. If people in Europe get a game before it's even released in Europe, that leaves NoE at a big disadvantage. And if NoE makes too many copies of a game because they overestimated demand, that hurts the company overall, since games in NoE are more expensive to make(VAT taxes lolz) than games in America.

Other than that, I'm not really sure.

Would anyone care to explain to me how the whole Emailing to and from your Wii works?

Every Wii console has a number. To email someone you simply go to your address book and add someone's email address on there. Once that is done you simply click on the email address and a compose box will appear where you write your message and send it. To email to the Wii it's pretty much the Wii's number @ wii.com. Something like that. It's pretty simple really.

So whats there deal?

So you have the mother company: Nintendo.

It produces a game. Lets say Super Mario Brother 2.

According to how Super Mario Brother (their previous installement) sold, they produce 6 million copies (about 1 million more copies than the initial launch number and what not. Its adjusted, trust me.)

Then, they look at where their games sold.

Out of their 5 million, their Japan division moved 2 million. Their American division moved 2 milion. Their European division moved 1 million.

So at their initial shipment, they send NoJ 2.4 million copies. They send NoA 2.4 million copies and they send NoE 1.2 million copies. However, they will only release in Europe a month later because a big title was juste released in Europe.

During that time, 50 000 copies are imported from NoA to Europe. Which means that by the time the initial shipment is sold, NoA will have sold out faster and NoE will not have sold their whole quantity.

To use the "It's their product, they have the right to say who it can and cannot be sold to!" excuse, is no different than saying, "It's their product, they have the right to say white people aren't allowed to buy it. Ever!" It's totally marketplace discrimination, in a global market.

If a company cannot or is not willing to release their product in a timely manner, yet the product finds its way to customers in an unreleased market, they have no right to complain. If people were choosing to import rather than purchase the product locally when it IS available there, then they can bitch all they want about how it's costing them sales. When it isn't available, and quite probably won't be for most of a year, the only ones hurting their sales in a market showing a decided interest in the product, is themselves.

You know that the only way they can make the games launch on the same day worldwide is to delay it for the US while they localize it for the UK, right? That kinda puts them in a bind.

But, I don't really care. Until they start bullying small companies and abusing the legal system, it's not omigoshterrible for them to bitch about their games being imported.

I think part of the problem might actually be that they are worried about legal restrictions in other countries. If game A has something that makes country B have reason to object to it (to give an old example, Chrono was localized to chug soda instead of bear in the US version), the company would be worried for their reputation regarding imports (though with regards to Pokemon, I've no idea what that could be).

Then there's the matter of price. Europeans tend to be charged more so that imported games can compete with localized games to some degree.

Then of course, there's the third problem that everyone has already mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

Take the batteries out of the controller and leave them out for a good 5 minutes. After you put the batteries back in, start up the Wii by pressing the Power button on the console itself, then hold it's sync button for about 20 seconds. Then press the sync button on the Wiimote and see if that works.

Thanks. I actually fixed it by unplugging the console for about a half a minute, plugging it back in and resyncing the controller. phew! Right as Im finishing FFXII and getting ready to play Zelda!

good god who cares

its fucking pokemon

Well, Japan cares. That game has almost sold over 4 million in Japan already. That may be why they don't want people importing it. Maybe they need the game in Japan where it is actually on sale.

EDIT: It seems YouTube works agian. I was just watching some Angry Video Game Nerd (or nintendo nerd) on it.