Nintendo Wii

Smoke

My fiancee and I waited in line for a wii last saturday. It was to be my Birthday gift to myself. (this friday, the 16th)

We arrived at the first target on our list.

There were 54 people waiting in line for the sunday shipment.

My Fiancee being the resourceful type, totally had a map ready with all the targets in my area ready to go, and they were all on major street intersections and probably as unlikely to score as this target.

All but one. There is a little target in the middle of a hard to reach residential area.

I got there. 2 couples in line. we recieved the 3rd place in wii line paper.

Then the vultures started their decent. There was chaos and tires squeeling. Children as young as 7 years old (very brave asian kids these days) coming to the store Unoccompanied by an adult, with get this... A EFFING PIKACHU PIGGY BANK FULL OF DOLLAR BILLS.

We said he as with us, and made sure he was far away from predatory wii buyers. (he got 4th place in the wii line.)

By the end there were only 24 consoles shipped to that target and 60ish people in line. Yes, they had to turn away 30ish people there for wiis. no rainchecks or anything... groans and everything. And surplus people were still waiting in line, as if any of the chosen 24 were going to drop out of the line 5 minutes before the store opened.

We kept pikachu kid close all throughout the event. ( and even drove him and his wii home. He walked 5 blocks by himself.)

Just as frantic was the line for the DS.

(yes a seperate effing line for the Nintendo DS.)

I picked up Twilight princess (OMFG I LOVE.) and Trama Center, Second Opinion (havent had a chance to open it)

A 1 gig Wii SD card, ( I probably should have just got a regular SD card, but I was worried about compatibility, which there are probably no problems, but I dont mind paying a little extra to nintendo.

I picked up a Classic style wii controller, and an extra wiimote and nunchuk.

And 2000 wii points.

All in all after spending a small fortune, I adore my wii.

After all that hubub, I just got a present from some extended family, (they teamed up to buy me, a ... nintendo wii.)

I have an extra wii... so, Im going to sell it at cost to a friend or family, or for a best offer on craigslist.

It was a very good wii experience.

Nintendos stock (NTDOY) as of E3 (may 06) was 17 dollars a share, and their stock last I checked was being traded at 34 Dollars a share ( and thats not their peak). Anyone who'd have invested E3 era, made bank ;)

Picked up Wii Play today. Thankfully, the game comes in a regular Wii case and the Wiimote comes with its own set of batteries and the newer wrist strap. :)

Oh, and it also came packaged with the safety information sheet guiding everyone on how not to be a dumbass with the wiimote.

I sure hope it's in stock still/again next week when I have my extra 10% coupon...

Some fun news: The TG16 game Military Madness now has an Update mentioned on the Shopping Channel, it's supposed to fix a few bugs in the game/emulator.

This can only mean that updates are indeed possible, and it's just a question of when we're gonna see them, as well as what's gonna be fixed/added.

Personally, I'm hoping for Mario Kart DS tracks in Mario Kart 64 and some glitch fixes. Would also be nice if other games gave you these options too.

Some fun news: The TG16 game Military Madness now has an Update mentioned on the Shopping Channel, it's supposed to fix a few bugs in the game/emulator.

This can only mean that updates are indeed possible, and it's just a question of when we're gonna see them, as well as what's gonna be fixed/added.

Personally, I'm hoping for Mario Kart DS tracks in Mario Kart 64 and some glitch fixes. Would also be nice if other games gave you these options too.

Yeah, it's nice that it's possible. I'd like to see something like an online multiplayer mode for, say, Mario Kart 64. It's possible for them to add, but that's not to say they would or that I'm expecting it. If they were to add extra features such as that, I think it'd make the VC games just that much more appealing. Well, nice to dream lol.

Has anyone found a way to move your channels around on the main menu? What I'd really love is if all the VC games from each console fit into a single grouped channel, which you could then select and choose a game within that channel. Much more tidy and space effective.

If you press B+A you can drag channels around (just like the Miis in the Mii Channel) and sort them. Only the disc channel (top-left) can't be moved.

Then the vultures started their decent. There was chaos and tires squeeling. Children as young as 7 years old (very brave asian kids these days) coming to the store Unoccompanied by an adult, with get this... A EFFING PIKACHU PIGGY BANK FULL OF DOLLAR BILLS.

We said he as with us, and made sure he was far away from predatory wii buyers. (he got 4th place in the wii line.)

[...]

We kept pikachu kid close all throughout the event. ( and even drove him and his wii home. He walked 5 blocks by himself.)

Man, I'm glad you did that for him. Pisses me off that his parents would let him pull that kind of stunt, although maybe he snuck out of the house to do it? It's a good thing he ran into someone that wasn't out for the money in his Pikachu Piggy Bank or, y'know, his anal virginity.

Perhaps updating VC games just involves deleting the the game and redownloading it since you get unlimited redownloads.

Man, I'm glad you did that for him. Pisses me off that his parents would let him pull that kind of stunt, although maybe he snuck out of the house to do it? It's a good thing he ran into someone that wasn't out for the money in his Pikachu Piggy Bank or, y'know, his anal virginity.

[jokes]Oh no, don't get me wrong. we anally violated him in the car as we dropped him off. What kind hearted americans wouldnt? [/jokes]

Just beat Metal Slug 3...damn that's a good game. This Metal Slug Anthologies is pretty kickass, even for using the Wii remote.

Metal Slug 3 was insanely hard, especially since two of the bosses were immune to my normal tactic of spam-nuking grenades (since they were only vulnerable at small targets near the top of the screen). Also, the zombie level, while hilarious, pissed me off so much, especially during the part where every three seconds I was either turning into a zombie or dying as one, which took up so much bloody time. Also, I love the Wiimote + Nunchuck scheme. It's a perfect fit for me.

ps everybody votes lol

What do you want to bet the update was a quickly built thing, designed to pwn at least one type of available mod chip, and the Everybody Votes channel was just a coverup for it? :P

I was excited when I heard they came out with a new channel. I was disappointed when I read about what it was.

Has anyone found a way to move your channels around on the main menu? What I'd really love is if all the VC games from each console fit into a single grouped channel, which you could then select and choose a game within that channel. Much more tidy and space effective.

Exactly what I've been saying! We need to make that a question for Everybody Votes..."Would you prefer it if all downloaded Virtual Console games were organized within a single channel on the main menu?" or something like that. When I get home today, I think I'll submit that suggestion...maybe this new Everybody Votes channel can become useful in a constructive way to give Nintendo feedback for what we want in the Wii.

EDIT: If they would just make a VC channel and either allowed for dl'd games/game saves to be accessed on an SD card/external harddrive, then I'd be a lot happier. Once I find a store around here that sells points card (or my new bank card arrives next wk, since my old one's security card rubbed off), I'm pretty much gonna use up the rest of the internal memory with downloaded games so I'd really like to actually use the SD card I have in my Wii for something.

btw, got Wii Play yesterday. It's fun, but like others have said the games are pretty much just technical demos. If they had a few more options for each of the games and flushed them out a bit, it'd be great. Meh, still worth $10 IMO.