Nintendo Wii

Smoke

"Would you prefer it if all downloaded Virtual Console games were organized within a single channel on the main menu?"

Funny thing is, one of the original concepts had it laid out that way, but they figured it was an extra menu to have to go through.

I think a Tivo-esque channel would be awesome.

And you'd be able to record one half hour show*

*given the stock 512MB memory, not counting SD cards or possible external HDDs

I like surprises and this new channel was a nice surprise, sure its pretty shallow but I do like the concept and it is good pointless fun, hopefully Nintendo drop more surprises (Like a game preview channel or a video channel) during the next couple of months.

I'd be for that, even if it were just trailers. On a semi-related note, I'm still looking forward to having a channel to use my Wii as a DS download station or something to that effect, so I can try some DS demos from home. I'm pretty excited for what's to come next, now that we know they can just randomly suprise us with new channels from time to time.

I'm pretty excited for what's to come next, now that we know they can just randomly suprise us with new channels from time to time.

A music channel? CDs, SD cards, and online radio. That'd beat the crap out of having to use the Photo Channel, and its another bit more you can do with the thing. 'Course, you could always use a stereo. Or computer. Or Cd Player. Or 360, ps3, ps2, ps1, xbox, or pretty much anything that can read discs.

But thats the point. Nintendo didn't include DVD playback because it'd cost more, and you already have a few for sure. But if something can do something, theres no reason it shouldn't.

ed;234260']A music channel? CDs' date=' SD cards, and online radio. That'd beat the crap out of having to use the Photo Channel, and its another bit more you can do with the thing. 'Course, you could always use a stereo. Or computer. Or Cd Player. Or 360, ps3, ps2, ps1, xbox, or pretty much anything that can read discs.

But thats the point. Nintendo didn't include DVD playback because it'd cost more, and you already have a few for sure. But if something [i']can do something, theres no reason it shouldn't.

I'd love if it had some sort of integrated music channel that hit up a service like Shoutcast, much like with Winamp's online media library, and let you listen to streaming audio of your choice in games. All the sound effects, none of the annoying midimusic. :P

The problem is that Nintendo said they wouldn't go multimedia but they HAVE. So now what they're doing is giving us these little snippets but not the big thing. The 360 and PS3 can both provide full video and even fully high definition downloads and music libraries built inside. The PS3 even has a pretty nifty image scrapbook feature in there, not to forget the Bluray drive. So they're stuck between providing us snippets of such features or just halfass the rest.

I really like the channel features, I really do. But the Wii most probably isn't built to even handle all these full features the way the 360 and PS3 are. Because they were built ground up to be fully multimedia devices.

Yeah, I keep getting the nagging feeling that Nintendo can't make up its mind about whether or not they want to offer all these multimedia capabilities or not. I love Nintendo, but they're so weird about things. I'd rather they not go into anything half-assed. If a music or video channel were to be created, I'd only like to see those things come to fruition if they're decent enough to not make us cringe.

Just a side note, the Wii modchips already out enable gamecube homebrew, of which there's a DVD player (through GC-linux)

Of course, the cube can't read full DVDs - even with a case mod the laser only moves to the 1.4 GB mark. When this program is run on a Wii, it plays the entire DVD just fine.

I don't plan on getting a Wii modchip until they enable execution of arbitrary code -- Wii homebrew. Enabling piracy and last generation's homebrew is only one side of the coin.

Just a side note, the Wii modchips already out enable gamecube homebrew, of which there's a DVD player (through GC-linux)

Of course, the cube can't read full DVDs - even with a case mod the laser only moves to the 1.4 GB mark. When this program is run on a Wii, it plays the entire DVD just fine.

I don't plan on getting a Wii modchip until they enable execution of arbitrary code -- Wii homebrew. Enabling piracy and last generation's homebrew is only one side of the coin.

Considering how absolutely apeshit the homebrew community has gone over the Wiimote, I can imagine that some of the stuff done for the Wii on the homebrew scene is going to be wholly original, and we'll actually see real homebrew games coming out for it, rather than just an implementation of Linux and the occasional modchip OS, like has been seen for the GC.

AHAHAHA I GOT A WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Speaking of which, my controller is freaking out. It was working fine until I tried to play Rayman, at which point the game told me to sit closer to the TV. So I went back to the home menu and now it doesn't register at all, regardless of where I stand. It just blinks. Any suggestions?

Speaking of which, my controller is freaking out. It was working fine until I tried to play Rayman, at which point the game told me to sit closer to the TV. So I went back to the home menu and now it doesn't register at all, regardless of where I stand. It just blinks. Any suggestions?

Unplug the Wii from the power for a few minutes, take the batteries out of the remote, give it about 5 minutes, plug the Wii back in, put the batteries back into the remote, and try again.

The 4 blue leds blink you mean? That means it probably needs to be resync'd, though I think other people who experienced a similar problem said it went away after turning the console and leaving it for a few hrs. You probably already know, but just in case, to resync, take off the battery cover on the wiimote, hit the red button, then hit the red button on the Wii console next to the sd card slot in the front. Also, to get better range, you can go into the wii settings and change the sensitivity all the way up (5 is the max) and that'll help a bit.

Also, congrats on the Wii!

The 4 blue leds blink you mean? That means it probably needs to be resync'd, though I think other people who experienced a similar problem said it went away after turning the console and leaving it for a few hrs. You probably already know, but just in case, to resync, take off the battery cover on the wiimote, hit the red button, then hit the red button on the Wii console next to the sd card slot in the front. Also, to get better range, you can go into the wii settings and change the sensitivity all the way up (5 is the max) and that'll help a bit.

Oh wow I didn't realize that it had the resyncing feature that the XBox 360 has, sweet!

Thanks. But it's not working - the controller just continually blinks(the 4 blue leds) until I turn the console off.

The sensitivity is already at 5, btw. I set it to that so the controller would stop jumping around on the screen.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was doing it wrong. Tried to sync it too early before. Thanks!

Oh wow I didn't realize that it had the resyncing feature that the XBox 360 has, sweet!

lol, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're legitimately expressing your astonishment that it resyscs the same way (I was hoping to avoid the former by stating "You probably already know this, but just in case..." :P)

EDIT: Kitsuta, so it's working now (I'm assuming from your edit)? Awesome!

So is anybody else really irritated by the everybody votes channel? My question is, why is Nintendo wasting their time on stuff like this when they could be giving us a music channel, so we can play our MP3s without having to use photo slideshows? I guarantee there's a hell of a lot more interest in that. Or better yet, why don't they update the firmware so the Wii will play DVDs? It's already playing game DVDs, it doesn't need a peripheral to do it. So why not have the functionality? This has to be my biggest gripe with Nintendo. I understand they don't wanna compete with other companies. But these kinds of things are basic functionality anymore. It's not a question of expense or weighing options at this point. DVD playback is a 'why not' proposition! People will use it! My PS2's getting really old and having trouble playing DVDs. If the Wii played them, I could look at Nintendo and say "Thanks guys! Not only did you give me an awesome system, but you saved me having to buy a new DVD player too!" This is the one place where Sony and Microsoft nail their fanbase. People don't want single function machines anymore. If you wanna focus on something, that's awesome. It should be all about the games. But for God's sake, throw in some cheap extras and step into the 90's while you're at it Nintendo!

So is anybody else really irritated by the everybody votes channel? My question is, why is Nintendo wasting their time on stuff like this when they could be giving us a music channel, so we can play our MP3s without having to use photo slideshows? I guarantee there's a hell of a lot more interest in that. Or better yet, why don't they update the firmware so the Wii will play DVDs? It's already playing game DVDs, it doesn't need a peripheral to do it. So why not have the functionality? This has to be my biggest gripe with Nintendo. I understand they don't wanna compete with other companies. But these kinds of things are basic functionality anymore. It's not a question of expense or weighing options at this point. DVD playback is a 'why not' proposition! People will use it! My PS2's getting really old and having trouble playing DVDs. If the Wii played them, I could look at Nintendo and say "Thanks guys! Not only did you give me an awesome system, but you saved me having to buy a new DVD player too!" This is the one place where Sony and Microsoft nail their fanbase. People don't want single function machines anymore. If you wanna focus on something, that's awesome. It should be all about the games. But for God's sake, throw in some cheap extras and step into the 90's while you're at it Nintendo!

Well, in time they'll make better things I'm sure, since this whole channels thing is pretty new.

I do agree with some of what you say though.

It's like, you know exactly what would make the Wii experience much better (or Cube for that matter) but every time we seem to get useless additions and have to hope we'll get the good additions in a next gen (which we still won't get anyway).

I love Nintendo alot, but sometimes I feel like they're really missing some important things which we, the public, would really like to see. (This also goes for new games and sequels of other games)

lol, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're legitimately expressing your astonishment that it resyscs the same way (I was hoping to avoid the former by stating "You probably already know this, but just in case..." :P)

EDIT: Kitsuta, so it's working now (I'm assuming from your edit)? Awesome!

Nah, I'm one of those noobs who don't read console/handheld instruction manuals.

speaking of "Everybody Votes" i would appreciate it if everyone in this thread did this a couple* times:

everybodyvotes_main.jpg

Today Nintendo released a brand new Wii Channel called "Everybody Votes." This is being offered as a free download in the Wii Ware section in the Shop Channel. In this channel Nintendo releases a bunch of polls for a set amount of time for you to vote on. Once the polls are over you are sent the results and get to see how other Wii owners worldwide think. This may seen like a simple new channel, however Nintendo has a much deeper purpose for it: Consumer Opinion Research.

Now you maybe asking, "why is this important and on the main page?" In this new channel you are allowed to suggest one new pole per day. Nintendo looks at these suggested polls, and if they find one of interest, they will add it for everyone to vote on.

By now you probably guessed what I am about to suggest. Everyone who owns a Wii needs to make a, "Do you want EarthBound on the Virtual Console?" poll. This is probably our best way to get the Big N's attention. There is no doubt NoA will be looking at these suggested polls especially with requests for potential Virtual Console games. If enough Polls made about EB on the VC are made, it could very well get their attention.

Hey, its worth a shot and its easy to do. So go make those EB on VC polls ASAP!

**hundred or so

Got Bluetooth? I've been playing around with the Wiimote+Computer drivers, and I've actually gotten it to be quite an effective controller for N64 emulation (With the nunchuk, obviously). Beaten Starfox 64's hard path and a quarter of diddy kong racing in less than 2 hours today.

This is gonna be a lot sweeter when I buy a classic controller.

everybodyvotes_main.jpg

Today Nintendo released a brand new Wii Channel called "Everybody Votes." This is being offered as a free download in the Wii Ware section in the Shop Channel. In this channel Nintendo releases a bunch of polls for a set amount of time for you to vote on. Once the polls are over you are sent the results and get to see how other Wii owners worldwide think. This may seen like a simple new channel, however Nintendo has a much deeper purpose for it: Consumer Opinion Research.

By now you probably guessed what I am about to suggest. Everyone who owns a Wii needs to make a, "Do you want EarthBound on the Virtual Console?" poll. This is probably our best way to get the Big N's attention. There is no doubt NoA will be looking at these suggested polls especially with requests for potential Virtual Console games. If enough Polls made about EB on the VC are made, it could very well get their attention.

Hey, its worth a shot and its easy to do. So go make those EB on VC polls ASAP!

I really wonder if they had to blow it up and consider it to be a channel option entirely though. And I'm going to lose my faith in Nintendo further if they have to actually question the need for Earthbound on VC.

Another strange thing with the whole VC thing with me is that I tend to only play the older games on the system instead of the normal Wii games now. It's strange, but fiddling with the Miis and playing Sonic is way more fun than anything else right now. Too much for my protest of the whole VC idea. But at the very least, it's the cheapest option for me to play such games on the big screen and with some 480p support instead of worrying about modifying expensive gaming hardware. And I suppose it's cheaper to buy $5 and $10 games instead of constantly being reminded of giving all my $60 and $70 games away to little cousins who then promptly threw them away.