Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Because R-Type is meant to do things:

1) Take all your quarters (because its difficulty is like that of an arcade game)

2) Put hair on your chest. Or make you pull it out of your head. Either one, really.

Those older games were made back in a time when that kind of thing was more of a norm, and console games were often expected to be like their arcade counterparts. The harder, the better, usually. If nothing else, they provided a crazy amount of replay value because they are extremely hard to conquer.

R-Type may be really frustrating at times, but it's a good reminder that there are really tough games out there; and it's one of those games that makes you feel empowered when you finally beat that level you've been stuck on. That's one of the major reasons why I like games like it.

That... and getting humbled now and then is good for the gamer spirit. *Laughs*

Yeah, Wii Play isn't that hot. We got it for the controller though, so I'm not broken up about it.

Zelda: TP freaking ROCKS. It's actually better than I expected, which is impressive because I was expecting an amazing Gamecube game.

Unfortunately, I think I may have guessed a major, major spoiler in the game. I don't usually do that, either. ): Makes me sad.

So far I am NOT happy with the VC games I got except DKC.

Why the heck we're all these old games made to be so effing difficult (R-type, probotector etc.) It's uber frustrating and I don't have the patience for this anymore.

I actually agree with that. DKC is pretty much the best choice IMO. Overall, all the common NES games that most everybody has played isn't too enticing on the system, though some of them may be good for the replay value.

And a lot of professional game critics out there are seeing that the Western gamers are getting a short end of the stick with the Japanese VC getting a lot more content.

I actually agree with that. DKC is pretty much the best choice IMO. Overall, all the common NES games that most everybody has played isn't too enticing on the system, though some of them may be good for the replay value.

And a lot of professional game critics out there are seeing that the Western gamers are getting a short end of the stick with the Japanese VC getting a lot more content.

That's something I find odd considering how little work is put into releasing VC games.

The only thing I could see getting in the way is red tape, such as having to get the game rated by the ESRB. (Re-rated?) Plus, working with the original creators of third party games to get them released. Beyond that, they're simply stretching the games they have to have a continuous stream of "releases".

Just touching on the Everybody Votes Channel, which seems to generally be getting a bad reception, I have to say that I actually quite like it. It was a nice little surprise, and I enjoy it for two main reasons...

One is that it has a kind of game element to it, in trying to guess which way most people will vote - a nice little distraction between proper games.

Another one is that it finally invokes some feeling of a community among wii owners - it's something that we can all do together.

And it's also good to see WiiConnect24 working with it - it downloads the results of polls prior to you actually accessing the channel. I just assumed it looked up results whenever I went into the channel, but my wireless LAN has been disconnected and new results were already there when I accessed it offline just now.

Of course, it's no music or video channel, but I think it's a nice touch.

ATTENTION WII OWNERS

LEARN TO TURN YOUR PERSONAL MII'S TO "DON'T MINGLE." Setting your Mii to "Don't Mingle" does not mean it will not interact with other Mii's in your Wii. I am sure your relatives and friends are all nice people, but I don't need to know who they are. My Parade was filled with 80 Steve's and Kate's. No one CARES about your family Mii's grumble grumble grumble

ATTENTION WII OWNERS

LEARN TO TURN YOUR PERSONAL MII'S TO "DON'T MINGLE." Setting your Mii to "Don't Mingle" does not mean it will not interact with other Mii's in your Wii. I am sure your relatives and friends are all nice people, but I don't need to know who they are. My Parade was filled with 80 Steve's and Kate's. No one CARES about your family Mii's grumble grumble grumble

QFE

I got all S ranks in Super Excite today. I think I've put more time into Excite Truck than Zelda by now.

Also enjoying Kid Icarus.

ATTENTION WII OWNERS

Worse is when people start sending you all their miis, without asking, and you're stuck sitting there for 10 minutes as all these damn annoying things bounce into the screen and are introduced.

I had 2 people do that. I didn't look in the channel for a couple days, and was bombarded with dozens of the fuckers.

ATTENTION WII OWNERS

Yes! I hate watching Miis of peoples uncles and friends and dads and all that. D:

I had never played Kid Icarus before Virtual Console. I've pretty much promised myself that I would only get the games I really enjoyed and don't currently own OR games I never got a chance to play (Street Fighter II; oh, those wasted years).

Yeah, I haven't set any of my Miis to mingle. Although, I do have a couple I'd like to send out.

I'll be careful when I do.

ATTENTION WII OWNERS

What else did you really expect to be parading in your Mii Parade--especially with many friends? For instance, my brother back home and I both have a Wii, so we set almost all our creations to mingle. Or my friend has a Wii as well, so we have our own friends made. I'd assume this may be the case with other people's family and friends. Of course I have some funny guys and celebrities/idols I set on mingle. But if those are the only ones you want to see, I doubt you'll ever get your wish. There's more to Miis than just that.

There are just things you're going to be out of the loop on.

Damnit. I take my Wii out of my house to show it to some friends, and it ends up coming back with sticky crap all over it! My controllers, cables, everything is covered in sticky stuff. I have no idea what happened. All the buttons on the controllers stick sometimes when I push them in too. It sucks.

So, anyone elses Wii go through any trauma at all?

Damnit. I take my Wii out of my house to show it to some friends, and it ends up coming back with sticky crap all over it! My controllers, cables, everything is covered in sticky stuff. I have no idea what happened. All the buttons on the controllers stick sometimes when I push them in too. It sucks.

So, anyone elses Wii go through any trauma at all?

Mine's a little scratched from lugging it between my living room and bedroom. and i took it to a friends house on launch day. Just some minor scratches on the wii casing.

Is it just me or had the wii lost alot of steam? I beat zelda (sometime around xmas) and haven't really played my wii more than an hour or two since. The games i have are Monkey ball, rayman, zelda, excite truck and elebits. I'm thinking about trading some of them in. I've spent more time playing castlevania 4 than most of my wii games. I really wish i didn't buy SMB, i enjoyed the first 2 but IMO this one blows. Anyone else having similar experiences? Looking forward to super paper mario in april though.

EDIT: Yeah Monkey Ball blows. Awful job AV. :\

No way. Wii's momentum is better than ever. I'm still working on my launch games (Excite Truck, Elebits, Monkey Ball) and there's Wario Ware and Wii Play I still have to buy. Sonic comes out next week. I also spend a lot of time with the channels now, mostly Internet and News, dipping into Forecast and EBV every few days. Virtual console titles close the gap with recent purchases of Kid Icarus and Comix Zone. I haven't been in a state of gaming this constant in my entire life.:mrgreen:

Don't get me started on my DS backlog....

Looking at the gaming momentum of the Wii only, it's pretty damn bad. What are you guys getting Wii Play and Sonic? Man, Wii Play's more of a tech demo, you pretty much buy it since hey 10$ for a game, and Sonic has a 50-50 chance of being utter fail.

We're getting uh Eledees soon and I dunno.

Seems to me like they rely on the VC too much.

Well, at least theres a good follow up of games in the next few months. If the release list I saw was for reals, we're getting Mario Galaxy pretty soon and some other good games I forgot already.

Cube had it worse, but i have a feeling Wii is gonna do much better game wise in the first year too.

Also: I'd be very happy if those sneaky bastards suddenly release a new F-zero game :) or Starfox for that matter.

Wii Play amuses me a lot right now. I just like coming back to it and playing random games for a few hours.

There's platinum medals to be won too so theres quite some challenge in it too if you want to get all the medals.

So is Excite Truck worth it? is it a good race game? Cause I spent too much cash already lately with school and traveling and all. Don't wanna waste more money if the game isn't good.

EDIT: btw, Wii Play may seem like "just a demo" to some people and sure it may not be Zelda or something, but it's funny to see how refined the games are in their own respect.

When playing Pool for example, the cueball can be shot with spinning effect and that sort of thing which looks amazingly accurate and realistic. I actually feel like playing the real thing and I don't even like sports that much.

These games really show what could be done and as a designer, I get all these insane ideas for games just by playing all this.

The textures are also really detailed in some places, which is promissing.