Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Nintendo: Hey guys, instead of making it easy for you to communicate with other players in our games, we'll make you type in a bunch of numbers!

Sheep: Oh boy! Complication!

It's real fun when I'm playing Tetris or Metroid on my DS with a random person and I can't even tell them "GG" or ask to pause or even add them to my friend list so I can talk to them about the match we just played.

I should be able to meet people I like to play with in game, NOT go through fucking message boards and add 15-30 people in a time. I'm an adult, don't hamper my enjoyment of a game because some jerkoff parents can't monitor their spoiled kid.

If 10 kids would be kidnapped because of playing a Nintendo game online, it STILL doesn't warrant pissing off millions of players.

And again, all of this could be fixed if Nintendo would just require players to enter the Parental Control PIN to bypass friend codes. But will they? Psssssssssh.

If 10 kids would be kidnapped because of playing a Nintendo game online, it STILL doesn't warrant pissing off millions of players.

Dude, are you joking? This would be a horrible PR move and Nintendo would be labeled as the "kidnap console," and all of their profits would go down the drain. They're doing it precisely to avoid any kind of misdealings with kids.

Take a chill pill and let go of the instant gratification once in awhile.

So if some child rapist meets a a kid because of the Wii web browser and does something to him/her, does that mean that Nintendo is responsible? Of course not. How does this instantly change when a game is involved? Ding ding ding, that's right. It doesn't.

There are tons of games and platforms that allow players to freely communicate and I don't see XBL or WoW shutting down because of things that may have happened from people meeting on there.

Nintendo may not be responsible, but it would hurt their image as a console safe for kids to use for online gaming, and to them that image is more important than the cries of foul by more hardcore gamers.

To be completely honest, I don't think *anyone* believes online games are safe for kids, no matter what it's played on. And while you're absolutely right about Nintendo caring about that image, it still doesn't explain why Parental Controls can't be used to enable or disable friend codes.

Has anybody heard of Super Mario Galaxy being for up to 2 players or has wii.nintendo.com made an error?

Check it out: http://wii.nintendo.com/software_mariogalaxy.jsp

If true that would be incredibly awesome. It'd be nice to play as luigi again.

I think what they mean, is that one player can control the collection cursor thing while the other player actually, you know.. plays the game. :P

To be completely honest, I don't think *anyone* believes online games are safe for kids, no matter what it's played on. And while you're absolutely right about Nintendo caring about that image, it still doesn't explain why Parental Controls can't be used to enable or disable friend codes.

I think it's so the parents have to put less effort in making it work the way the parents may want it to.

A Nintendo product tester, huh? I remember reading one of those 3-page magazines that book catalogs gave out back in elementary school. One issue was about dream jobs, and that was one of the few listed. If my memory serves me right, it said they had to have degrees in programming to understand the game fully or something.

Hmmmmm...

Well, a little bit of google power has resulted in an official Nintendo response to the many children out there dreaming of such a job. It seems they contract out such beautiful jobs to two companies. Both seem to be technical companies, so I'd imagine they want more than kids still going through high school, huh. All are based in Redmond, Washington--not off-site stay-at-home testing.

Edit: Hmm!

I did find this job posting on one of their sites. It's for a bilingual French-English speaker. It just says you need good writing skills and the ability to speak and write in both languages.

Here's their job description.

Product Testers test development software, identify programming errors and anomalies, evaluate product for content guidelines, and document testing phases of bug checks. Testers document the audible or visual bugs through written and oral description. Bilingual testers will also check French dialogue and in-game text game for correct spelling and grammar. Strong written and oral English and French skills are a must. Product Testers may assist in proofreading manuals or documents in French. Product Testers must be detailed and be highly analytical. Testers are required to sit for long periods of time (up to three hours) and perform repetitive and monotonous tasks. Product Testing is not simply playing video games. Be aware that the development software being tested may include software of an adult nature.

$12.50 an hour. Not shabby pay for something that just requires writing skills in two languages.

=) Just researching for the sake of knowing. I've got other career paths that interest me more at the moment.

Ok, I know this is really off-topic and doesn't *exactly* fit here, but I don't want to make a new thread for it:

When did this happen (besides the obvious March 2004 as stated in the link), and why didn't I ever know about it?

Just when I thought I knew every game for the 'Cube that I wanted play but hadn't yet.

More on-topic, I've heard that testing games is actually a pretty rough job. Pretty much anything that you are *forced* to do, even if you enjoy it, becomes hard work after a while.

Ok, I know this is really off-topic and doesn't *exactly* fit here, but I don't want to make a new thread for it:

When did this happen (besides the obvious March 2004 as stated in the link), and why didn't I ever know about it?

Just when I thought I knew every game for the 'Cube that I wanted play but hadn't yet.

More on-topic, I've heard that testing games is actually a pretty rough job. Pretty much anything that you are *forced* to do, even if you enjoy it, becomes hard work after a while.

Only the head testers actually get to play the games.. everyone else, is forced to perform the same menial action a million times over, in a million ways, each one only slightly different from the last, to see if it breaks anything.

Testing kind of depends on the developer you're working for, but for the most part, it's gonna be eight hour shifts of playing one game at a time simply looking for glitches and not getting paid dick. Be that as it may, it's a very simple way to get into the industry (hardly any credentials are necessary most of the time,) and testers are often in such demand that they will take applicants right off the street.