Nintendo Wii

Smoke

Holy double-posting, Batman! (yeah, I know, I'm full of clever)

Microsoft, there's no need for bullshit remarks and whatnot. This kinda shit-talking is annoying, how do they think that's gonna change consumers' minds? That, and I find it annoying when a company explicitly tells the consumers what THEY want to buy.

In other news, looks like April 12 we can expect a little more news about Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

Microsoft, there's no need for bullshit remarks and whatnot. This kinda shit-talking is annoying, how do they think that's gonna change consumers' minds? That, and I find it annoying when a company explicitly tells the consumers what THEY want to buy.

"We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14, they want something else."

Interresting, cause I'm almost 22 and I still don't want anything else but Nintendo (but I will admit that I'm mostly in it for the 1st party stuff).

It's also ironic how Microsoft was using the words "family, girl gamers, non-gamers" etc. in an earlier comment, saying what kind of games/machine they (MS) have (don't remember where I read it thoug). No one but Nintendo ever said anything about those things before the whole next-gen "the industry is in trouble!" crap. T__T;

Oh well, no use getting too upset about it, especially since I don't identify myself with the stereotypes of modern gaming.

I don't think that remark is too far out of the line. So far, Wii channels have offered a lot of cute little content along side Virtual Console. Xbox Live offers full video and movies right now. The demographics are different, that's all.

I would agree the content is different, not the demographics. I wouldn't say this one demographic is more apt to liking what the Wii has to offer, and this other one liking what the 360 has to offer. I say this as guy who wants a 360 somewhere down the line but doesn't mean that I got sick of the Wii or whatnot. My ladyfriend bought a Wii too, but still loves her some 360 for many of the same reasons I plan to get one (plus Halo 3...yeah, she's into it more than me). From the people I know and what I'm seeing in day-to-day life, I'm not seeing any specific demographic going to one more than the other (aside from, say, older people...just like DS, I think the Wii is succeeding in bringing in more people who aren't traditionally gamers, such as my parents and grandparents). Anyway, long story short, I would have been more apt to agree if it were a comment on the original XBox and Gamecube having different demographics, but I'm not really feeling that way about these two next-gen systems.

I tend to ignore company reps mudslinging other consoles. Most of the time, I hear Sony doing it (not that Nintendo "NEVER" has) more often than the others.

As for the whole age demographic? I've been playing Nintendo games since I was a kid, and if I ever have kids, they'll probably play them too.

I would agree the content is different, not the demographics. I wouldn't say this one demographic is more apt to liking what the Wii has to offer, and this other one liking what the 360 has to offer. I say this as guy who wants a 360 somewhere down the line but doesn't mean that I got sick of the Wii or whatnot. My ladyfriend bought a Wii too, but still loves her some 360 for many of the same reasons I plan to get one (plus Halo 3...yeah, she's into it more than me). From the people I know and what I'm seeing in day-to-day life, I'm not seeing any specific demographic going to one more than the other (aside from, say, older people...just like DS, I think the Wii is succeeding in bringing in more people who aren't traditionally gamers, such as my parents and grandparents). Anyway, long story short, I would have been more apt to agree if it were a comment on the original XBox and Gamecube having different demographics, but I'm not really feeling that way about these two next-gen systems.

Maybe it's because you're an all around gamer with less biases towards these systems depending on how they're sold. Just like me and other gamers who can look beyond the marketing tactics and product campaigns.

I agree that nobody should be hunkered down to their supposed demographics and go from there. But according to that Xbox sales rep, his job is all about looking out for such demographics and serving them. This is not an attack to Nintendo, but you have to admit that they're going for a family (aka kiddy, kid-friendly) atmosphere with the Wii more so than they ever had. Xbox obviously seems to go for the slightly tech-savvier group of young adults for the most part. It is not indicative of which groups are better gamers or 'kiddy' or anything like that. I know plenty of young pre-teen relatives who are into 360.

As far as 'mudslinging' goes, the rep saying "We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14, they want something else." doesn't strike me as offensive. It doesn't help that the IGN editors are pretty biased with these assessments as well. At least that MS rep said "we think" and didn't outright proclaim that Nintendo was a kiddy/inferior system the way Sony does it.

I've had a Wii since launch and whatnot, but now I'm almost starting to agree with Microsoft. I have been playing Nintendo games ever since forever but....now they're most definitely not what they used to be. There hasn't been a single Wii game that has made me go wow thusfar, and I can see some 360 games that would...

I've had a Wii since launch and whatnot, but now I'm almost starting to agree with Microsoft. I have been playing Nintendo games ever since forever but....now they're most definitely not what they used to be. There hasn't been a single Wii game that has made me go wow thusfar, and I can see some 360 games that would...

wii games that you have played, or wii games that you have read about?

relatively important

wii games that you have played, or wii games that you have read about?

relatively important

played ahahaha I forgot that

lets see

I have...

zelda - good not great

warioware - good until the day after you buy it

elebits - played for 20 minutes

wii play - oh god no

trauma center - probably the best, but still not great I didn't think

wii sports - my mom likes that one

uhhh i think thats it

the only game i play on my wii nowadays is smash bros melee

Well, I think you just need to play more games. I have been loving any FPS on the Wii lately, even the terrible framerate and slow turning Red Steel. It's nice to have actual pointer control on a console for once.

The biggest cockblocker to anyone enjoying the Wii right now though is zero online play. Seriously, why the hell can't I play something simple like Gunstar Heroes online? Lazy fgts.

The biggest cockblocker to anyone enjoying the Wii right now though is zero online play. Seriously, why the hell can't I play something simple like Gunstar Heroes online? Lazy fgts.

There is so totally online play. You see, the Everyone Votes channel has an amazing feature where you can compete with everybody the world over by guessing which answer of a two-answer mutliple choice question is what most people will pick.

I would hardly call that online play but I suppose you were being sarcastic. But seriously Nintendo was boasting so much about online you'd think they would have had it ready since the system launch. Had there been an online mario kart at system launch I would have wet myself.

browsing the wii shop channel is kinda like an online window shopping game...

browsing the wii shop channel is kinda like an online window shopping game...

Especially when you're not willing to shell out $10.00 increments to get a game you want that's only 800 Wii points...gah.

But seriously, I love VC. Much more so than VD.

seriously at this point I have given up on the whole online play thing with nintendo

even when they do it it'll be one out of ever 10 games and suck like online DS is

there is no defense against friend codes at all

that is one thing Microsoft is right about, nintendo treats all their customers like 12 year olds when it comes to online play/friend codes

North America VC releases today:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) - I was a week late

Starfox 64 (N64) - DO A BARREL ROLL

Dragon's Curse (T-16) - Take your pick of title Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, or Wonder Boy in Moster World II, or just Dragon's Curse I

seriously at this point I have given up on the whole online play thing with nintendo

even when they do it it'll be one out of ever 10 games and suck like online DS is

there is no defense against friend codes at all

that is one thing Microsoft is right about, nintendo treats all their customers like 12 year olds when it comes to online play/friend codes

I know what ya mean. It's like they're focussing too much on making it kid friendly, but they forget that we're still here too.

Maybe it won't be so bad, but I'd hate to have no proper online games on my Nintendo this generation.

There's no way I'm changing systems either. This will propbably be the last console I'll ever play if things go bad. ;_;